Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #201
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's why we have to hire Calatrava again.
I hear hes already put down a deposit on one of those new SuperYachts in anticipation of this news.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #202
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
If done properly a bridge over the island could be pretty spectacular.
This phrase is not in the City of Calgary manual.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #203
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
This phrase is not in the City of Calgary manual.
The CMLC is pretty dope though.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #204
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I hear hes already put down a deposit on one of those new SuperYachts in anticipation of this news.
If he can't afford to he could contact PLC or whoever built the interchange at Seton or the other corners of the city.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #205
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

New plans... https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.co...12-w_links.pdf

The biggest news for those of us who live at the top of the hill: 9TH AVE STATION!!!

Presumably, the most-requested/commented part of the original surface route on Centre Street was a station at 9th Ave N. They have listened and the plan will now include a surface station at 9th Ave.

They've also come closer to a plan for the alignment of the bridge over the river. The tunnel entrance will be located to the west of 2nd St and will be integrated into the Eau Claire redevelopment, similar to the library.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #206
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Latest plan looks way better. The river crossing doesn't cut McHugh bluffs in half like the previous one and obviously the 9th ave station is a fantastic addition.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #207
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. Centre st is going to be a disaster.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #208
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ugh. Centre st is going to be a disaster.
Based on the update, it confirms for me comments on twitter suggesting that particular section of Centre Street N will be limited to bus and local traffic only.

https://twitter.com/CageYYC/status/1249880135773249537
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #209
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Based on the update, it confirms for me comments on twitter suggesting that particular section of Centre Street N will be limited to bus and local traffic only.

https://twitter.com/CageYYC/status/1249880135773249537
Terrible ####ing idea. What ‘other route’ do they suggest? The next options are Edmonton trail or 10th st. Both of which are have huge bottle neck bridges, not to mention single lane traffic to support the street level businesses.

Unless I’m really missing something, this is seriously stupid.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:18 AM   #210
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I don't think you are; but the ever increasing construction costs has forced them to the surface option on Centre Street and leave them little choice but to close it to car commuting in order to preserve bus service levels. And hope Calgarians can adapt like the time the Centre Street Bridge was closed for restoration.

Still, it's seems incredible to me that the Green Line jumped BRT to LRT because BRT would not be sufficient for Centre Street N in the medium term, but $5B later, it could actually see a loss of overall passenger trip (car and bus) capacity into Downtown.

Last edited by accord1999; 05-13-2020 at 12:23 AM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #211
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Terrible ####ing idea. What ‘other route’ do they suggest? The next options are Edmonton trail or 10th st. Both of which are have huge bottle neck bridges, not to mention single lane traffic to support the street level businesses.

My vote is on stupid. You’re going to divert a huge number of vehicles coming from NC Calgary into downtown, just for the handful of passengers that would use the train to and from Crescent Heights/16 Ave? Who are being serviced by the 3/301 already?

At this point, I would suggest just building the SE leg into downtown and then do the North portion when you can do it at least up to 96 Ave.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #212
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That "local traffic only" must be just for construction. No way do they expect all vehicles to divert to Edmonton Trail or 10th st. It was pretty messy when they did it a decade or so ago, and now with more traffic someone thinks this will work permanently? The corridor handles ~ 16 000 vehicles a day. They expect that to be diverted to Edmonton Trail (19 000) and 10th st(12 000) and not cause huge issues? No way does that make any sense.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...owmap-City.pdf
Old 05-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #213
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its the city of Calgary, can we expect anything less?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #214
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait a minute, so segment 1 doesn't even go into downtown now? With segment two extending that line into downtown and up to 9 Ave and 16 Ave (where it will connect with a separate line that goes to NC Calgary)?

I haven't been following this very closely but this is a significant change, no? I was still under the impression they would build 16 Ave to SE in one shot... when did that change?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #215
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Wait a minute, so segment 1 doesn't even go into downtown now? With segment two extending that line into downtown and up to 9 Ave and 16 Ave (where it will connect with a separate line that goes to NC Calgary)?

I haven't been following this very closely but this is a significant change, no? I was still under the impression they would build 16 Ave to SE in one shot... when did that change?
I think you might just be mixing up segment 1 and 2, which are south to Quarry Park(?) and north to 16h ave, with Stage 1, which would include segment 1 and 2. So I think it still gets built at the same time, in Stage 1.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #216
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I like it. Prioritize Center St. Bridge as public-transit primary, limits cars going in/out of the core, and allows more pedestrian access via the (proposed) new train bridge. I would hope they put a park-ride situation at 16 Ave NW Station or just past it. I believe 16th to Center Street bridge should be pedestrian/bike/public transit throughputs first and cars second. That section should be accessible as a high street that people can interact with more freely.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #217
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think you might just be mixing up segment 1 and 2, which are south to Quarry Park(?) and north to 16h ave, with Stage 1, which would include segment 1 and 2. So I think it still gets built at the same time, in Stage 1.
Thanks — I was looking at the diagrams and got “stage 1” confused with “segment 1”. So Stage 1 includes all of segment 1 and a bit of segment 2 (Inglewood to 16 Ave) — that hasn’t changed.

I think once the decision was made not to go underground to 16 Ave, they should have shelved that portion of the project for now. Having an above ground line only up to 16 Ave makes no sense, as you would only be servicing people that live in Crescent Heights or transfer off the Max line at 16 Ave, at the expense of bus/vehicle traffic coming from the rest of NC Calgary (unless the expectation is that people who ride the 3/301 would have to get off at 16 Ave and take the train into downtown — that would be a huge inconvenience in itself). I understand why the would have included it before but now it seems unnecessary if there’s any significant delay between completing up to 16 Ave and the rest of the NC line...
Old 05-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #218
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Couldn't a large portion of people who drive Centre St. in/out of downtown just take the Green Line?

If we're just expecting traffic to stay exactly the same once the Green Line exists... what's the point of the Green Line? I think the idea is that you give more people an option to take transit, right?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #219
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Couldn't a large portion of people who drive Centre St. in/out of downtown just take the Green Line?

If we're just expecting traffic to stay exactly the same once the Green Line exists... what's the point of the Green Line? I think the idea is that you give more people an option to take transit, right?
Sure, but with population growth on the corridor by the time it gets built I don't think you will see a significant reduction in traffic volumes from today. People still need to drive places.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #220
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of the comments and thinking...maybe take the train?