Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #2161
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
As I live in Victoria I'm curious if Nenshi is likely to be re-elected and when the next election is?

Thanks
October of this year. At this point, it seems likely that he will get reelected.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #2162
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I believe the csec is positioning council to defeat opposition politicians before attempting to go through with a plan.

Most if the council already wants this to happen. Other major power brokers want this to happen as well. There is a huge swell of momentum amongst private interests in Calgary to get this project going.

The next step is finding and funding a challenger for mayor that can bring this thing home.

Nenshi in office may be the most significant factor in the delay of the project announcement.
I agree Nenshi needs to start to button his lip and get down to business. If he wants to help prolong his tenure he needs to show the public he is a willing partner and not engage in snipes with Ken King.

That said past the typical snark our mayor shows, I don't think he is against funding in general. I think he is playing hardball with the Flames and I am all for that. As a taxpayer I am happy he is working to get us a deal.

I am no blind Nenshi fan, I have said before his I'm smarter than you delivery is a turn off. However, I think he is doing the right thing here. Until I hear him flat out say there is no deal ever I won't be changing my mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #2163
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Sold out crowd of 17000 fans? I though the Dome had a capacity of over 20000 when it first opened?
No, the "press level" didn't even have seats in it when the building first opened (I think the first three rows were there, but nothing behind the walkway).

They were installed just before the Olympics. I believe the original plan was to remove them after the Games, but the Flames were so popular at the time that they didn't have trouble selling them out most nights.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #2164
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
can you stop

I did nothing wrong.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #2165
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

To anyone saying that the mayor and the city need to get on board - including the writer of that awful Sun article - the city has done more to get the arena built than the Flames have, so far. I don't see how that's even debatable. The city have done all of the work so far in finding a potential location that works, and that's pretty much where the process is at.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #2166
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
October of this year. At this point, it seems likely that he will get reelected.
Well thats 2 bad, seems like he has no love for the new rink. I suppose there are plenty of other issues in the election though
Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 AM   #2167
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If he doesn't find a way to make this arena deal work, I'd say his political leash becomes pretty short. Plenty of people I know that think the same way. I'd rather see that done than a "Peace Bridge" for instance.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #2168
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe the csec is positioning council to defeat opposition politicians before attempting to go through with a plan.

Most if the council already wants this to happen. Other major power brokers want this to happen as well. There is a huge swell of momentum amongst private interests in Calgary to get this project going.

The next step is finding and funding a challenger for mayor that can bring this thing home.

Nenshi in office may be the most significant factor in the delay of the project announcement.
Mayor has one vote. If the majority of council wants it, it will happen.

Not from Calgary but doesn't look like they've voted out a sitting mayor since 1980 so probably wishful thinking to hope he doesn't win again.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #2169
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I tire with some of his antics and things he's supported (*cough* bike lanes), I think he's as good of a Mayor as any city could ask to have. Dedicated, thoughtful, and hard working.

Hopefully he continues the hard line with the Flames. They've done nothing but act like the kid who wants to leave with their ball & bat after they don't get their way.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #2170
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Backlund - I don't think any of us should expect a hockey player to be able to consider the nuance of this issue. To him, it's just a shiny new locker room and practice rink. Any of us would be excited at the prospect of the city building us a new workplace with gold plated toilets. Most players are too thick to comprehend escrow.

Quote:

I think your first three points are all accurate, but I'm not sure about your last sentence. I think it may be true, but not in the way that I sense you think. IMO Nenshi is only looking out for the best interests of the city and making sure the deal is done right.

I think the most significant factor in the delay is actually the Flames themselves. For an organization that is so loudly saying how URGENT/NECESSARY a new arena is, they sure don't seem to be doing a lot to proactively solve the 'problem'. The truth is, it is not at all urgent - they can/will wait as long as it takes to get the best deal for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
If he doesn't find a way to make this arena deal work, I'd say his political leash becomes pretty short. Plenty of people I know that think the same way. I'd rather see that done than a "Peace Bridge" for instance.
I don't want to derail the thread, but IMO the Peace Bridge does more for the identity of this city than the Flames. It may seem a crazy thing to people on a hockey forum, but we need to remember that this city is made up of a tiny proportion of die hard fans, a fairly small portion of casual fans, and a vast majority of people who are largely indifferent, but most of whom would take up the torch on a playoff run.

I'm not saying the feeling at the Peace Bridge is anywhere near the same as the Red Mile (it's simply impossible to compare with something that has happened once in the last 25 years), but there is an indescribable energy around the peace bridge 12/7/365. I don't want to go too far trying to describe the 'feels' about it, but everyone there is happy, because they are outdoors, social and/or active. Call it hippie-dippy #### all you want, but IMO the symbolic/intangible ROI on the bridge is actually pretty substantial.

I'll pistol-whip myself for using the term, but I think the Peace Bridge contributes more to making this city 'world-class' than an arena ever will. I'm not actually suggesting this, but an argument could be made to drop $175M on 7 more bridges to make Calgary similar to Paris in terms of a "city of bridges". I'm sure I'm not articulating the nuance of what I'm trying to say very well, so I look forward to retorts of "why not just build 499 more blue rings"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #2171
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^good post.

To clarify, I think the Flames have been trying to wait Nenshi out, and are prepared to wait for a new mayor if necessary, in order to get a maximum public contribution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #2172
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^good post.

To clarify, I think the Flames have been trying to wait Nenshi out, and are prepared to wait for a new mayor if necessary, in order to get a maximum public contribution.
If that's the case, then they are even dumber than we all thought
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #2173
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Fourth, spare me the sports vs. libraries argument, because no one is making it. There's a big difference between reasonable library facilities scattered throughout a city for maximum utility and blowing the wad on a 9 digit vanity project and then crying poor for something else that the city relies on.
"spare me the vanity projects"

* insists on supporting a vanity project that suits his own interests*
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #2174
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

IMO this is a reasonable library facility

This is not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #2175
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post

This is not.
Multiple floors and architecture more current than 1950 is "unreasonable"?

I think plenty of people think the Saddledome is reasonable, myself included. Settles that then, I guess. Flames should we how reasonable it is!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #2176
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
If that's the case, then they are even dumber than we all thought
You have no idea how dumb some us of think/know Ken King is! Don't go putting words in our mouths!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #2177
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that library. More facilities like that and a new arena/stadium the better for the city IMO.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #2178
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is not.
#### the ####ing flames, I'll take option 2 every time.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #2179
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is not.
The view from Airdrie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #2180
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I like that library. More facilities like that and a new arena/stadium the better for the city IMO.
It's amazing how many people would live in a grey box, amongst a sea of other grey boxes, for the rest of their lives if given the chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread