Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #2141
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Random airport question actually about YVR, but figured this was as good a place as any.

We recently had a US connection out of YVR on a YYC outbound flight. It's been a long time since I've done that. Is it normal that you basically have to haul ass through the airport and go through security again at US customs? WJ wasn't overly helpful - our flight out of YYC was delayed so I asked FA on the YYC-YVR flight and she didn't know, said to ask desk on arrival, during flight I tweeted/DM'd WJ and WJ reply was that we'd likely miss connection and they would get us a hotel voucher on arrival. We ended up arriving, no one from WJ at the domestic arrival/depature desk knew anything about how to deal with connection and told us to head for the gate of our US departing flight despite is leaving in 20 mins. We basically ran with strollers/kids etc. (never leaving secured area) and made it to US security, did that, did passport, arrived at the departure desk 15 mins after scheduled departure and got chided for being late but plane hadn't left yet. Seemed really disorganized, but surely this happens all the time so it was kind of weird, especially since it was ticketed as one trip and they should have known we had the connection.

Coming home had opposite experience - they got us through passport control into Canada and then we took a bus through the underbelly of the airport, around various tarmac operations, and were deposited in the domestic departure/arrival hall without having to do security again. Bus seemed pretty temporary and we had to go outside, climb some temporary ramps and such.

Whole thing was very strange.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #2142
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We had basically the same experience in December, flying through YVR to/from Hawaii.

Our flight out of YYC was delayed by nearly an hour because the dude driving the de-icing truck was a moron. I knew something was wrong the instant the F/A's announced to disarm doors (they had just been armed for pushback) and the lights came back on. The Captain confirmed my suspicions when he came on the PA to inform us that the de-icing truck had made contact with the tail, and the tail had to be inspected by maintenance before the aircraft would be allowed to fly.

Anyway, after spending the ride to YVR being stressed out, we landed and found out that our connecting flight had been delayed and was waiting for half the people on the first flight from YYC. We essentially had to haul ass and trek across the entire airport, clear US Customs and security. We made it to the gate just barely on time, but the whole experience was stressful, and because our original departure time out of YYC was 7:00AM, we were exhausted.

Coming back home was pretty much the same - long line at Canada Customs, bus through the underbelly, walking outside, up and down various temporary ramps. And again, had to haul ass to the gate, made it barely on time, and the agents made snarky comments about us being late.

I wouldn't say that YVR is as bad as LAX or LHR, but it wasn't the best connection experience. I would put YYZ connections ahead of YVR, and that's saying something. If I ever have to connect via YVR again to the US, I'm going to do my best to ensure we have at least 2~2.5 hours between flights.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #2143
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The US customs pre-clearance at Canadian airports is why my family and I try to avoid connections through Canadian airports to go through the US.

It is usually easier and less stressful to do the pre-clearance in Calgary and fly from Calgary to the US and do a connection in the US than it is to fly from Calgary on a domestic flight to another Canadian city then go through pre-clearance and security in the other Canadian airport.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #2144
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
We had basically the same experience in December, flying through YVR to/from Hawaii.

Our flight out of YYC was delayed by nearly an hour because the dude driving the de-icing truck was a moron. I knew something was wrong the instant the F/A's announced to disarm doors (they had just been armed for pushback) and the lights came back on. The Captain confirmed my suspicions when he came on the PA to inform us that the de-icing truck had made contact with the tail, and the tail had to be inspected by maintenance before the aircraft would be allowed to fly.

Anyway, after spending the ride to YVR being stressed out, we landed and found out that our connecting flight had been delayed and was waiting for half the people on the first flight from YYC. We essentially had to haul ass and trek across the entire airport, clear US Customs and security. We made it to the gate just barely on time, but the whole experience was stressful, and because our original departure time out of YYC was 7:00AM, we were exhausted.

Coming back home was pretty much the same - long line at Canada Customs, bus through the underbelly, walking outside, up and down various temporary ramps. And again, had to haul ass to the gate, made it barely on time, and the agents made snarky comments about us being late.

I wouldn't say that YVR is as bad as LAX or LHR, but it wasn't the best connection experience. I would put YYZ connections ahead of YVR, and that's saying something. If I ever have to connect via YVR again to the US, I'm going to do my best to ensure we have at least 2~2.5 hours between flights.
Ours was delayed because they were understaffed and hadn't scheduled enough people to work ground and so there was no one to load our luggage. Literally that was the reason they told us. Admire the honesty, but yeesh.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #2145
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Echo the awful experience connecting in YVR to get to Hawaii.

Longest walks/runs of my life going there and coming back to meet connections.

I will only fly out of YYC now to ever go back to Hawaii.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #2146
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The US customs pre-clearance at Canadian airports is why my family and I try to avoid connections through Canadian airports to go through the US.

It is usually easier and less stressful to do the pre-clearance in Calgary and fly from Calgary to the US and do a connection in the US than it is to fly from Calgary on a domestic flight to another Canadian city then go through pre-clearance and security in the other Canadian airport.
It was just so confusing. We had already gone through security in YYC, never left security, and then show up and it's like we had come in off the street. Obviously its 10x worse with young kids and all the crap, so most of the misery was our own fault for how much stuff we had to carry, but it was shocking how completely unhelpful and oblivious anyone we tried to get help from was. That's not a short walk either! You'd think they'd stage their carts to ferry people from the arrival gate to security, and then from security to their connection gate even, but nope, all the carts were parked at various places en route. We got a lift for the final 100m or so by a WJ guy who saw us struggling with all the bags and stroller and car seats etc. He was like "what time does your plane leave? Ah, you're late, better hurry!" Thanks bud, we've literally sprinted across this airport, appreciate the advice.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #2147
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
It was just so confusing. We had already gone through security in YYC, never left security, and then show up and it's like we had come in off the street. Obviously its 10x worse with young kids and all the crap, so most of the misery was our own fault for how much stuff we had to carry, but it was shocking how completely unhelpful and oblivious anyone we tried to get help from was. That's not a short walk either! You'd think they'd stage their carts to ferry people from the arrival gate to security, and then from security to their connection gate even, but nope, all the carts were parked at various places en route. We got a lift for the final 100m or so by a WJ guy who saw us struggling with all the bags and stroller and car seats etc. He was like "what time does your plane leave? Ah, you're late, better hurry!" Thanks bud, we've literally sprinted across this airport, appreciate the advice.
You just know there has to be a room full of security guys watching this on screen unfold hourly, just laughing their heads offs. Definitely have the door open and they're yelling down the hall "Hey Joe, you have to come in here and see this one! Look how many kids and how much stuff they have!" "Wait...here comes their reaction as the agent gets snarky about them being late!"
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #2148
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year I connected on business class through SFO for cheaper than YVR economy getting home from Maui (OGG).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #2149
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Last year I connected on business class through SFO for cheaper than YVR economy getting home from Maui (OGG).
which airline?
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #2150
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Quote:
which airline?
I would guess United, simply because SFO is one of their biggest hubs.

What I want to know is how you got a business class ticket so cheap!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #2151
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went and looked, and it was $649 from OGG to YYC though SFO (indeed via United). That is one way, so cheap by business class standards, but expensive for one leg of the journey.

OGG to YYC via YVR was over $800 so it was a no brainer. Layover was an hour or two longer, but you had access to the Lounge anyways so much more palatable than sitting in YVR.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #2152
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Echo the awful experience connecting in YVR to get to Hawaii.

Longest walks/runs of my life going there and coming back to meet connections.

I will only fly out of YYC now to ever go back to Hawaii.
Unfortunately the directs to OGG stop March 31, so anything after that you're stuck with the YVR crawl.

Why in an airport as large and as generally nice the US transfer area was tucked into a small, cramped, and perpetually renoing area is beyond me. I actually think they made a special area for Calgary people to suffer in, being dirty Canuck fans.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #2153
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Unfortunately the directs to OGG stop March 31, so anything after that you're stuck with the YVR crawl.

Why in an airport as large and as generally nice the US transfer area was tucked into a small, cramped, and perpetually renoing area is beyond me. I actually think they made a special area for Calgary people to suffer in, being dirty Canuck fans.
lol'd @ the Canuck fan comment

And yeah, the non-stop flights are seasonal, because a lot of people (particularly from Calgary) fly to Hawaii during the winter, but not so much in the spring and summer.

The non-stops from Calgary are typically flown with either the 767 or the 737 MAX, so if the planes are going to go empty after spring break, those aircraft could be better used on other routes. (Assuming the MAX isn't grounded worldwide, of course...)
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #2154
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think YYC could support OGG year round. Maybe summer season it drops to 2-3x weekly. Also operated by the MAX, 767 would be too big for it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #2155
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
It was just so confusing. We had already gone through security in YYC, never left security, and then show up and it's like we had come in off the street.
I am not an aviation security expert, but I believe the reason you have to go through security again is that the US has a higher security standard than Canada has for Canadian domestic flights.

Maybe someone with more info can post on that matter.

Another thing to try is make sure you have more time to reach the connecting flight. There are a lot of flights daily between YYC and YVR, so even picking an earlier flight should help with the customs, having to travel across the airport, and provide some insurance if the flight is delayed.

Last edited by sureLoss; 04-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #2156
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC USCPB insists you clear security before you proceed through customs, it is for their protection. I guess logistically that presents an issue for airports and connecting passengers as you would somehow have to find a way for them to get to from the sterile side when they arrive on the connecting flight and insert them into a separate and secure lineup that feeds into US customs - and not allow them to mix with unsecured passengers at any point. It's probably just easier to send everyone through security again.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #2157
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Think I might of asked this before but couldn’t find if I did or not.

Can a person just not check-in for the return portion of a flight while the rest of the people on the reservation check-in without issues?

Example: Friend and I book on same flight (book under one reservation to use WestJet companion fare) take direct flight from Calgary to TB with friends, stay a few days at A and watch Flames win the cup. Decide that I am gonna stay a few more days, however friend has to get back so will need to stay on original flight. Can he just check-in and not me? Will there be any issues if I just don’t check in (besides out my cost of the flight)
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #2158
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think as long as there are separate reservations there would be no issue. But if both names are under the same reservation they may need both to check in
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #2159
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I think as long as there are separate reservations there would be no issue. But if both names are under the same reservation they may need both to check in

They aren’t separate reservations though, they are on the same reservation.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #2160
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada continues to change some flights in YYC due to the ongoing 737 MAX grounding.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...eing-1.5082594
  • Two daily flights between Toronto and Calgary have been consolidated onto one larger Airbus A330.
  • A new Calgary to Halifax service will now start July 1 instead of May 18.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc