Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 05:17 PM   #2121
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh, you mean washed up players like Corey Perry and Taylor Hall? No prime free agents are looking to go to Chicago right now, they are not close, even with Bedard. They are not looking to come to Calgary either. Or San Jose. Or Anaheim. Or Columbus. Etc...
They weren’t looking at Chicago because Chicago had not interest (yet) to add.

But once they are, Chicago will be a preferred destination again because they are a team that will rise quickly. Tons of draft picks, tons of cap space , tons of prospects and a preferred destination.

And they have Bedard.

Players don’t just look at where a team is today, they look at where they expect them to be for the length of the contract.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:19 PM   #2122
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can do both you know? Some of you don't even listen to what the GM has actually said. It's like you plug your fingers in your ears and ignore the fact Conroy has said over and over the goal is to make the playoffs next year. They are not rebuilding, they are not looking to tank, and no amount of whining, crying, bitching, and moaning from the tear it down crowd is going to change it. He can't do it even if he wanted to, he is saddled with vets with long term deals and NMC and he has a boss that wants the team back in the playoffs ASAP. Are they going brg game hunting this offseason or looking at expensive long term deals? No. Are they looking at adding young cost controlled players by spending draft capital? Absolutely. You can pout and say I give up or maybe you can try and hope for the best instead of the worst for a change.
Soooo take the bet ? You sure are sure of yourself
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:21 PM   #2123
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can do both you know? Some of you don't even listen to what the GM has actually said. It's like you plug your fingers in your ears and ignore the fact Conroy has said over and over the goal is to make the playoffs next year. They are not rebuilding, they are not looking to tank, and no amount of whining, crying, bitching, and moaning from the tear it down crowd is going to change it. He can't do it even if he wanted to, he is saddled with vets with long term deals and NMC and he has a boss that wants the team back in the playoffs ASAP. Are they going brg game hunting this offseason or looking at expensive long term deals? No. Are they looking at adding young cost controlled players by spending draft capital? Absolutely. You can pout and say I give up or maybe you can try and hope for the best instead of the worst for a change.
The contract are actually helping us tank, its keeping the team away from what you are saying going out and adding to make the playoffs.

What did you expect him to say? What message is he sending the locker? Hey guys go out and lose.

It's a retool, which feels like a rebuild. Did you miss the trades he made?

This is not pouting, this is hoping for the team to do the right thing and use the draft capital to draft players.

What team goes into the offseason ready to deal away their #1 goalie that wants to make the playoffs?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:21 PM   #2124
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the record if they could move all their vets for draft picks and absolutely bottom out I would 100% be on board. They can't do it though, it is what it is.
They don’t have to . They current roster is a 75 pt team AT BEST IMO

That would be 5th worse this season .
Old 04-30-2024, 05:23 PM   #2125
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I don't think he will have option though. I can't see him trading our first.

Who is he going to add with Vans 1st or the 2nds or the 3rds that will move the needle enough?

I think his plan is not to get blown out 5 to 1 every night. Be more competitive than Chicago or San Jose are but still bottom 5-10.

We need teams like Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim to improve. San Jose will be at the bottom, but some years 75 points can be bottom 5.
I don't know. I don't think that is the plan. He even said hes ready to bring in 18-20 year olds with the pick.

Most teams are not trading those players anyways.

I think they want to be competitive, but they are realistic. They made a bunch of futures trades, and added some player to play.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:23 PM   #2126
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No it doesn't, you just want that to be the case because you want a scorched Earth rebuild. It isn't happening.
What players are they going to get that are better than Tanev, Hanifin, and Lindholm? The defense will be worse for sure and the forward roster needs a significant upgrade to get into playoff bubble territory let alone to a top ten spot like you think is possible.

That’s not even getting into the next UFA crop they have to deal with.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:24 PM   #2127
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

Apparently you can rebuild, and compete for the playoffs at the same time.

I am confused.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:26 PM   #2128
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I certainly think it's a possibility that they can bottom out. I'm defining bottoming out as the bottom 6 or so teams. As it stands right now they don't have a truly bottom lineup, but one thing to consider was how many games Markstrom stole for the team last year.
I think their defense gets them to a bottom 5 finish in of itself.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:28 PM   #2129
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think their defense gets them to a bottom 5 finish in of itself.
It's a bottom 5 team.

Adding a 2C and 4th defenceman does what? Now we are the 9th worst team, and out draft capital, and worsened our draft position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 05:28 PM   #2130
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Apparently you can rebuild, and compete for the playoffs at the same time.

I am confused.
They are not rebuilding, they are retooling on the fly. I am not surprised you are confused.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:29 PM   #2131
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It's a bottom 5 team.

Adding a 2C and 4th defenceman does what? Now we are the 9th worst team, and out draft capital, and worsened our draft position.
It isn't. We are currently a bottom 9 team after an underachieving season. If you can't do simple math I can see why you are confused.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:30 PM   #2132
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Except it wasn't so you are wrong.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:32 PM   #2133
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are not rebuilding, they are retooling on the fly. I am not surprised you are confused.
Retooling teams don't trade roster players for draft picks and prospects, and projects to throw into the lineup.

You do understand he has to sell this to the fanbase, they still need to sell tickets.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:32 PM   #2134
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except it wasn't so you are wrong.
75 pts would have been the 5th worse record in NHL …Montreal finished with 76

Time to take a breather from the message board
Old 04-30-2024, 05:33 PM   #2135
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Soooo take the bet ? You sure are sure of yourself
I already said I would take the bet providing there is not a big subtraction from the roster.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:33 PM   #2136
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can keep ranting about the moaning and crying from fans but all Conroy has said that a teams needs to be competitive and play hard. Not that it is playoffs or bust. Every team wants young and cost-controlled players but good ones are rarely ever up for a trade. My guess is he adds a few more players on the cheap like Miromanov and calls it a day. The best quote he has had is about staying out of the free agent market unless he can sign some players to two or three year contracts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 05:34 PM   #2137
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
75 pts would have been the 5th worse record in NHL …Montreal finished with 76

Time to take a breather from the message board
Who cares what your make belief numbers are? They finished with 81, ahead of Montreal. Try living in reality guy.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:35 PM   #2138
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't. We are currently a bottom 9 team after an underachieving season. If you can't do simple math I can see why you are confused.
How did we underachieve? lol

Kadri 2nd best season of his career.
Coleman career year.
Weegar career year.
Sharangovich career year.
Hanifin was having a career year.

All that happening probably kept us from a better pick. You think a bunch of 30 plus year olds will keep improving?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 05:35 PM   #2139
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the record if they could move all their vets for draft picks and absolutely bottom out I would 100% be on board. They can't do it though, it is what it is.

There are some players on the team that don't want that, they came here because they wanted to win. That's partly why I'm a little annoyed that they went ahead and started winning at the end of the season when it was just moral victories. I don't think a few losses would have made much difference to Wolf's ability to win. I think had we have sustained a few more losses we could have a better opportunity and winning the lottery, or just acquiring a better overall player. But us picking 9th, just adds to the question marks for next season. If we don't play well next season those veteran players are probably going to be even more disconnected. Players picked in the later draft rankings don't usually step into the team right away. If we drafted a little higher I would think we'd have a better chance at an impact player that could step in a little sooner.

I am still a little concerned that if we don't bottom out enough, we could end up with players that just don't move the needle enough to make us competitive down the road. The opportunity to do it is now, I just hope that we don't miss that window and come out of this too soon.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:35 PM   #2140
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
You can keep ranting about the moaning and crying from fans but all Conroy has said that a teams needs to be competitive and play hard. Not that it is playoffs or bust. Every team wants young and cost-controlled players but good ones are rarely ever up for a trade. My guess is he adds a few more players on the cheap like Miromanov and calls it a day. The best quote he has had is about staying out of the free agent market unless he can sign some players to two or three year contracts.
Conroy has said the goal is the playoffs, multiple times. Go watch his pressers after the season.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good