Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #2101
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
What I wonder, is why this long column of vehicles isn’t getting attacked? I would think they’d be a pretty tasty target.
I think there must have been a pretty huge level of denial in Ukraine. They had a lot of time to set up booby traps on bridges and main roads or road side bombs. In hindsight, the weeks leading up to the invasions could have been used better. The Russians are rolling in on major roads and highways when they should have been forces into the mud.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #2102
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think there must have been a pretty huge level of denial in Ukraine. They had a lot of time to set up booby traps on bridges and main roads or road side bombs. In hindsight, the weeks leading up to the invasions could have been used better. The Russians are rolling in on major roads and highways when they should have been forces into the mud.

There has been some chatter that the Ukrainian President and the government made a lot of strategic errors in the weeks leading up this that doesn't look good now.

There was almost a mocking that came from Ukrainian officials when other countries were getting their staff and citizens out from offices, businesses and more.

Looking back on it, the US intel was spot on and more could have been done but we are where we are and Putin must be stopped.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #2103
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the first major conflict in Europe in 75 years, no one other than the Americans thought they would actually proceed with a land invasion. Probably don't want to rig up all your bridges with explosives only to watch the Russians pull back after exercises.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 08:13 PM   #2104
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

They're just letting more Russian troops and equipment in, will cut off any way of them retreating, and then destroy them because they're sitting ducks. Or, at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #2105
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
They're just letting more Russian troops and equipment in, will cut off any way of them retreating, and then destroy them because they're sitting ducks. Or, at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.
OK. If that's the plan and they can carry it out.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #2106
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
There has been some chatter that the Ukrainian President and the government made a lot of strategic errors in the weeks leading up this that doesn't look good now.

There was almost a mocking that came from Ukrainian officials when other countries were getting their staff and citizens out from offices, businesses and more.

Looking back on it, the US intel was spot on and more could have been done but we are where we are and Putin must be stopped.
There may have been strategic errors, but trying to keep businesses and foreigners in the country going isn't one of them.

Telling them to get out because the country isn't safe would've hurt Ukrainian morale, and the potential for foreign casualties would've acted as a deterrent to Russia.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #2107
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What I wonder, is why this long column of vehicles isn’t getting attacked? I would think they’d be a pretty tasty target.
I’m at a loss. By all accounts, and with evidence to support, the invaders will fire on civilians and there is enough man/firepower there to cause a terrible catastrophe. And we have pictures of it, with their whereabouts known? Just going to just let them roll into a city if 3.5 million and slaughter them because threats? This feels really really wrong.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #2108
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m at a loss. By all accounts, and with evidence to support, the invaders will fire on civilians and there is enough man/firepower there to cause a terrible catastrophe. And we have pictures of it, with their whereabouts known? Just going to just let them roll into a city if 3.5 million and slaughter them because threats? This feels really really wrong.
Would you like the threats to turn into worse actions than anything that column could do to that city?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #2109
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Might not really be possible. Russia likely has air supremacy in the area and significant anti-aircraft weapons along the route.

Ukraine has been using some drones to take out some convoys, but this one might be too well protected and too big for those to do much.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #2110
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

China is starting to pull its people out apparently, which may be the canary as to how bad this might really get. They hadn't really given any indication they were getting their people to leave until now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #2111
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The best answer is that Russia has air superiority over Ukraine and local pockets of air supremacy where nothing that isn't Russian can fly and most of the Ukrainian Army's most combat-ready troops are too far away to help.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #2112
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The best answer is that Russia has air superiority over Ukraine and local pockets of air supremacy where nothing that isn't Russian can fly and most of the Ukrainian Army's most combat-ready troops are too far away to help.
This is likely the correct answer. But talk about poor planning on both sides. How Russia leaves all that hardware lined up and exposed like that is just unreal.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #2113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

If there are houses burning along the way, its because the Russians are likely blasting likely ambush points.

I expect that Russian air cover is heavy as well. To them this column has to get through.

We might also see that the Ukraine is beginning to run out of the ammunition that they had and the new stuff is probably nowhere near them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:56 PM   #2114
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why the Ukrainians in Ukraine have a distinct Slavic look, while the Ukrainians in Canada look largely indistinguishable from Western Europeans (with many exceptions of course).
Perhaps it's because many of Alberta's Ukrainians are also part Polish, English, German, etc.

I also find it strange that most of Canada's Ukrainians seem to have a Catholic background, while most of the Ukrainians in Ukraine are Orthodox.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #2115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Where are those drones at.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #2116
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Interesting article here regarding Putin and his motives.

Speaks to the disinformation campaigns and makes a lot of references to similar instances to the lead up to WWII. It paints a decent and dire perspective on the current situation.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...there-00012340

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #2117
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I also find it strange that most of Canada's Ukrainians seem to have a Catholic background, while most of the Ukrainians in Ukraine are Orthodox.
The modern Ukraine state is built from a number of separate regions after the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian and Russian Empires after WW1 and annexations mainly from Poland after WW2.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #2118
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Where are those drones at.

Ahh to have A-10s available...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 09:29 PM   #2119
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good portion of that column is likely anti-air. Granted I don't know how that affects drones
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:32 PM   #2120
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Interesting article here regarding Putin and his motives.

Speaks to the disinformation campaigns and makes a lot of references to similar instances to the lead up to WWII. It paints a decent and dire perspective on the current situation.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...there-00012340
Fantastic interview. Amazing that this brilliant woman was deemed a traitor and a stooge by Trump (at the behest of Putin).
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks