Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #2101
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's the attraction of an RS6 outside of it being a wagon? It's way overpriced and on a performance level can't even compete with a lower priced German carl like the M3/M4.
"Can't compete" in... what?

Even on that stuff, who even cares. It's a wagon. It's for the road, not the track. If it's a quarter second slower to 100km/h than some other car, that's not important in real world use. So... yeah. The appeal is that it is a wagon and thus fairly practical, it looks cool, has the updated tech and is generally a really nice car to drive in addition to being really fast. And in his case, he bought an Audi anyway that's slightly more expensive and is far less cool, slower and looks worse (and will be worth less money in the long run). More to the point, don't buy SUVs.
Quote:
On tomorrow's episode of "Turning in your car-guy card", I'll tell everyone about that time I bought the PDK 911 over the 6-speed manual
This is kind of... fine, honestly. I mean I'd always go manual but it's a 911, it's extremely versatile. It's perfectly reasonable to say "I want this car to be a grand tourer, so an automatic transmission is what I'm getting". Or hell, "I want this car to set lap times and I enjoy a PDK on the track". Also valid and not a cause to turn in your card, even if it is objectively the wrong choice.

I mean if I was buying a 911 and couldn't get one with the letters "GT" anywhere in the model name, I'd probably get a Targa, which isn't exactly a pure drivers enthusiast choice...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #2102
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

911 Targas are the bomb. I love those.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #2103
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
\I mean if I was buying a 911 and couldn't get one with the letters "GT" anywhere in the model name, I'd probably get a Targa, which isn't exactly a pure drivers enthusiast choice...
Future used-car-buying me is miffed that the Targa only comes in the 4 (and no manual in the base). It's definitely my favourite body style.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #2104
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Future used-car buying me probably can't afford a decent one anyway.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #2105
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Future used-car buying me probably can't afford a decent one anyway.
Same here most likely, but hey, half the fun of being an enthusiast is playing the what-if game.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #2106
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Can't compete" in... what?

Even on that stuff, who even cares. It's a wagon. It's for the road, not the track. If it's a quarter second slower to 100km/h than some other car, that's not important in real world use. So... yeah. The appeal is that it is a wagon and thus fairly practical, it looks cool, has the updated tech and is generally a really nice car to drive in addition to being really fast. And in his case, he bought an Audi anyway that's slightly more expensive and is far less cool, slower and looks worse (and will be worth less money in the long run). More to the point, don't buy SUVs.
This is a silly video. Carwow had almost the exact same comparison in a video today as well.

The RS6 is AWD. The M4 is RWD. Of course the Audi is going to beat if off the line.

Regarding the RS6 versus the RSQ8, I would probably prefer the RS6, but it's pretty easy to understand why most people would take the SUV in Canada.

The RS6 is low. It is lower than my M2. Even if it's comfortable and capable, the RSQ8 will be even more comfortable and capable. If you aren't tracking the cars, you probably won't notice any difference in performance.

Savagegeese did a video on the SQ8 a few months ago and he loved it. He's one of the more critical reviewers for this stuff as well.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #2107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume this is the new video. IMO a supposed AWD performance car that costs as much as an RS6 does should be faster than a RWD M4. I get that the S58 is a monster engine but that's not a great showing by the Audi and around a track it would only get worse.

As said above most Canadians are probably better off RSQ8 as at least it won't get beat up in winter.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #2108
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
911 Targas are the bomb. I love those.
I previously owned a 1990 C4 Targa and a 1984 3.2L Targa. The original Targa was such an ingenious design (thank-you Butzi!). The 993/996/997 Targa's wore giant glass sunroofs which impeded handling, not true Targa's IMO and I would never own one. With the 991 came the traditional Targa look and functionality, very cool. I would personally opt for a true cabriolet in 991/92 guise however. I can't even fathom the cost to repair the many complex mechanisms that allow the Targa top to function on the 991/92, its magical to watch the transformation take place. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the mechanisms will fail.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #2109
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is a silly video. Carwow had almost the exact same comparison in a video today as well.

The RS6 is AWD. The M4 is RWD. Of course the Audi is going to beat if off the line.
It was more or less the same from a roll, too. He suggested it wasn't even competitive. Clearly they're actually pretty close... And as discussed... who the hell cares.
Quote:
Regarding the RS6 versus the RSQ8, I would probably prefer the RS6, but it's pretty easy to understand why most people would take the SUV in Canada.
It is very easy to understand. Most people suck. I understand that, but it's still unfortunate.
Quote:
The RS6 is low. It is lower than my M2. Even if it's comfortable and capable, the RSQ8 will be even more comfortable and capable. If you aren't tracking the cars, you probably won't notice any difference in performance.
First, no it's not lower than your M2. I mean, I don't know about your specific M2, maybe you've lifted it, but a stock M2 has 10mm less ground clearance. It would be pretty easy to get the RS6 to 6 inches if you wanted to. And that's perfectly fine.
Quote:
Savagegeese did a video on the SQ8 a few months ago and he loved it. He's one of the more critical reviewers for this stuff as well.
I'm not watching a video where a car reviewer enjoys a luxury SUV... That sort of thing is against my religion. But I can assure you that if your description is accurate then his opinions are objectively wrong.

It's not complicated. Don't buy SUVs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #2110
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

My M2 has 4.8 inches of ground clearance at the lowest point. Everything I've found on google has the RS6 at 4.5 inches (one said 4.1 inches but I don't think I believe that).

I already have to pick and choose where I take my M2. With a longer frost overhang and a longer wheelbase, you're scraping the lip of the RS6 every time you enter the Crowfoot Co-op parking lot.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #2111
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just using google but it says 133mm of ground clearance for the RS6, which would be 5.2-5.3". That's actually a bit higher than the E63 AMG S wagon.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #2112
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My M2 has 4.8 inches of ground clearance at the lowest point. Everything I've found on google has the RS6 at 4.5 inches (one said 4.1 inches but I don't think I believe that).

I already have to pick and choose where I take my M2. With a longer frost overhang and a longer wheelbase, you're scraping the lip of the RS6 every time you enter the Crowfoot Co-op parking lot.
I never had issues scraping the front of my M2 and I winter drove that car. That said it's a much more care free experience in the winter with something that has more ground clearance. You have to pick your battles in the winter when you are driving a car like this in the winter. I wouldn't say I regret getting an X3MC but I'm definitely going back to a car once the industry gets back to normal. It is the first SUV I have ever owned and there are advantages but at the end of the day I'm a car guy.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #2113
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's all I'm saying. I prefer cars because they sit lower to the ground and for the most part, drive better.

The RSQ8 still drives ridiculously good, and although you're sitting higher, it's a much more stress-free drive with an extra 3 inches of ground clearance.

If I had the money, it's probably as good as it gets for an all-season vehicle for Calgary winters.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #2114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's all I'm saying. I prefer cars because they sit lower to the ground and for the most part, drive better.

The RSQ8 still drives ridiculously good, and although you're sitting higher, it's a much more stress-free drive with an extra 3 inches of ground clearance.

If I had the money, it's probably as good as it gets for an all-season vehicle for Calgary winters.
Yeah but sitting higher just isn't the same. I've been driving a Passat loaner this week and even though it's a bit of a ho hum car, the lower seating position is refreshing. My X3MC will run circles around most cars but pulling 1.0 g on the skidpad in an SUV doesn't feel as engaging as it does in a car.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #2115
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I have an RS7 and I can't say that the Etron blows it away - it doesn't. It is essentially the same car, but electric. The reason to want it is that you want electric. And if you do, it is as awesome as any that I have seen.

What Audi are you looking at?
The RS7 is on my short list as I want to move into something newer and with serious performance. I passed up a gorgeous one last month as I'm just not quite ready yet, need to empty the garage a bit more. Hoping to purchase early spring. They have such a depreciation off the lot its hard to resist.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #2116
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
The RS7 is on my short list as I want to move into something newer and with serious performance. I passed up a gorgeous one last month as I'm just not quite ready yet, need to empty the garage a bit more. Hoping to purchase early spring. They have such a depreciation off the lot its hard to resist.
Your timing may be good to grab mine!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #2117
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Your timing may be good to grab mine!
So to close this circle, what are you replacing the RS7 with?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #2118
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I can't remember, but he posted a picture, and I think it was a Dodge Journey SRT.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #2119
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's the attraction of an RS6 outside of it being a wagon? It's way overpriced and on a performance level can't even compete with a lower priced German carl like the M3/M4.
It looks better than the gross new BMW design, but out side of that -- its a damn gorgeous car, with much better practicality - at a prudent cost of 7% n'ring time.

If it's overpriced, what is the RSQ8 then?
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #2120
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
The current plan in the RS Etron GT. However, they aren't taking orders yet, and if I find something more interesting before the order goes in, then so be it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote