Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #2101
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Von Neumann Probes
That could be from any of the options already listed. However, if there is another poll of what type of UAP these are, that would be a good option! I think many UFO researchers believe this to be a very real possibility of they do exist.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:13 PM   #2102
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was actually building a list so we could rank possibilities in order.

The only new one mentioned was "Ancient advanced civilization still on earth/oceans". I wasn't really fond of how Jiggy_12 combined some options, lets keep them separate for ranking. Von Neumann Probes are captured in alien probes. If someone really really wants it separate, fine. But I imagine in everyone's ranking they will be on top of one another.

extraterrestrial beings
extraterrestrial probes
time travellers
extra-dimensional beings
we exist in a simulation, so anything goes
tricks of perception(reflections, misinterpreted objects, birds, drones, mirages etc)
Secret US tech
Secret other country tech
hoaxes(crop rings)
Ancient advanced civilization still on earth/oceans
spooky actions at a distance

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-02-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:17 PM   #2103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
What if aliens weren't travelling great distances, but rather just constructing remotely from a great distance. It's a known phenomena in nature that photons in the presence of an electron, can create matter and simple molecules out of empty space. This is way off in sci-fi territory, but what if an intelligent being found a way to build off of that process and actually create more complex structures that could even synthesize life forms.
So you are suggesting aliens manipulating matter from a distant galaxy, never being here, but able to effect matter? OK, we'll add that as spooky actions at distance. Still aliens, but gets around the travel issues.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:20 PM   #2104
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So you are suggesting aliens manipulating matter from a distant galaxy, never being here, but able to effect matter? OK, we'll add that as spooky actions at distance. Still aliens, but gets around the travel issues.
Yeah, something like that. Like using photons or energy as kind of like a 3-D printer, just as a basic way to put it.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:20 PM   #2105
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was actually building a list so we could rank possibilities in order.

The only new one mentioned was "Ancient advanced civilization still on earth/oceans". I wasn't really fond of how Jiggy_12 combined some options, lets keep them separate for ranking. Von Neumann Probes are captured in alien probes. If someone really really wants it separate, fine. But I imagine in everyone's ranking they will be on top of one another.

extraterrestrial beings
extraterrestrial probes
time travellers
extra-dimensional beings
we exist in a simulation, so anything goes
tricks of perception(reflections, misinterpreted objects, birds, drones, mirages etc)
Secret US tech
Secret other country tech
hoaxes(crop rings)
Ancient advanced civilization still on earth/oceans
spooky actions at a distance
Was just trying to simplify the list, but doesn't matter. Yours works just as well
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #2106
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I think the question actually needs to be clearer. Are we asking what the phenomena is? Or are we asking what specific object we are seeing in the sky? Probes are objects, but time travellers is a phenomena. I don't think the time traveler themselves are the actual UAP, they're probably in some sort of device (or on the ground, but not flying around in the air). Also, what's the difference between extraterrestrial probes and von neumann probes? A pilot? does an extraterrestrial being mean they are flying an extaterrestrial probe?

This is getting specific, but I think we should break it into two polls.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #2107
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe to address the overlap, the option to vote for two choices could be a thing? Not sure how that would work in the end with the poll results though.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #2108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord, no. If the phenomena are caused by time travellers flying drones, it's still time travellers. And I wanted to see how people rank these, not a straight poll.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:26 PM   #2109
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Then why are we mixing answers? Time Travellers might be sending and/or controlling Von Neumann probes.

Again, two different questions if we're being specific.

That, or just keep it really simple with general concepts.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #2110
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Does US/other country tech include non-government?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #2111
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Then why are we mixing answers? Time Travellers might be sending and/or controlling Von Neumann probes.

Again, two different questions if we're being specific.

That, or just keep it really simple with general concepts.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #2112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Does US/other country tech include non-government?
Makes sense to me.

Unless we need to add an international Bond villain option, like SPECTRE.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #2113
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Jiggy12 - I think your original list is fine. Seems to cover most of the ground without making some overlap. No need to change it.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #2114
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

And does tricks of perception include all natural phenomena?
Old 08-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #2115
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think the most likely explanation is just some kind of visual phenomenon that occurs rarely in nature, that we don't know about. There could be something in nature that creates a flashy blurry light, that moves for a bit, and then dissipates.

Military personal see it more often, as the average person doesn't spend that much time with a close up view of those parts of the sky. The military also films more than the average person.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #2116
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I wish I could find it now but a few years ago I listened to a podcast where a doctor argued this, essentially he said the sheer impossible distances to travel here, the incredible amount of energy needed for this travel and questions on how did they find our little planet in the first place, but his best argument was that life on earth are a product of this planet so what are the chances that another living being from another planet have exactly the same makeup of gravity and air that we humans evolved from in order to survive?, if they came from a planet with 2X the size their body's would go to crap in hurry in our gravity and same goes for if their planet was .5 of our size, and what are the chances their planet has a 80% nitrogen and 20% percent oxygen makeup in order to breathe. He didn't really say he thought UFO's were from the future but he said it's more believable than interstellar aliens.
Presumably, if an alien race was intelligent enough to overcome the hurdles to explore space, they would also have the ability to determine what the conditions on Earth would be like, and could genetically modify themselves adequately to survive the conditions.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #2117
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think the most likely explanation is just some kind of visual phenomenon that occurs rarely in nature, that we don't know about. There could be something in nature that creates a flashy blurry light, that moves for a bit, and then dissipates.

Military personal see it more often, as the average person doesn't spend that much time with a close up view of those parts of the sky. The military also films more than the average person.
I generally like this explanation, and think you could add that it’s some sort of atmospheric phenomenon that affects radar.

There are some wild visual things that we’ve been able to explain, like green flashes, floating ships, aurora, fallstreak holes, etc.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:47 PM   #2118
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, have at it.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/eaeoqc/what-is-it

Results here:
http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/zmqteb/what-is-it/view
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #2119
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Presumably, if an alien race was intelligent enough to overcome the hurdles to explore space, they would also have the ability to determine what the conditions on Earth would be like, and could genetically modify themselves adequately to survive the conditions.
That's actually a pretty good point. Based on the planets in our solar system, atmospheres can only have so many variations. They're all composed of some combo of nitrogen, CO2, Oxygen, Argon, Hydrogen, Helium etc..

That, however, could be just an effect localized to our part of the galaxy, with things varying vastly elsewhere.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:53 PM   #2120
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I voted for Kodos.