Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #2081
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
to play devils Advocate I would guess the 65+ crowd is substantially less likely to use the train during peak hours. Most hotel rooms are cheaper on weekdays, just saying.
You can't buy an "off-peak" monthly pass, nor is there any other price discrimination based on when you travel (edit: except parking?).

Besides that, operating a full train at rush hour is more cost effective than an empty one on Sunday afternoon. The capital costs of transit, however, are driven by peak demand.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #2082
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Just a heads up but it sounds like the trains have a major delay, especially going south. Shuttle buses between Erlton and Chinook.
Anyone know what's going on? I just walked 14 blocks to my car from Erlton and the cops have all of 39th Ave blocked off. The trains are turning around at Erlton and heading back downtown. Looks like a nightmare. Thousands of people all over the lawn at Erlton and not a single shuttle bus in sight.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #2083
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Anyone know what's going on? I just walked 14 blocks to my car from Erlton and the cops have all of 39th Ave blocked off. The trains are turning around at Erlton and heading back downtown. Looks like a nightmare. Thousands of people all over the lawn at Erlton and not a single shuttle bus in sight.
660 is saying a pedestrian was hit by the train at 39th. Not seriously hurt.

This woman says she was walking and texting.
https://twitter.com/kathykaun/status...122624/photo/1
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #2084
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

*Sigh*

On one hand I feel bad for someone getting injured like that and hope he/she is okay.

On the other hand...@!#$%& idiot. No only are their crossing arms at that area, but there are loud signal bells and you can CLEARLY see both ways if a train is coming. No excuse for something stupid like that to happen.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #2085
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news re: LRT cars is that there is funding in the 10 year capital plan for full U2 fleet replacement. Can add to the existing Siemens order. This will help massively with reliability issues we're experiencing today.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #2086
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Good news re: LRT cars is that there is funding in the 10 year capital plan for full U2 fleet replacement. Can add to the existing Siemens order. This will help massively with reliability issues we're experiencing today.
The Siemens cars have cow-catchers?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #2087
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Is that in the Investing in Mobility update Bunk? I wasn't able to tell if the money for replacement in there is the already approved GreenTrip money for the 60 we've already ordered....
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #2088
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Small bump, I'm curious about the 302 BRT out of the Southeast. Does anyone take it from Prestwick/New Brighton to downtown? How full is the bus at the stop right before 130th? Also, approximately how long does it take to reach downtown, is Google maps 52 minutes somewhat accurate?
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #2089
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Transit in Calgary is O.k but not much better than when I left. I did notice some of the things posted around the stop mentioned a partnership with Trans link at the bottom of posters and etc. Calgery transit is best to listen to way they have to say. In my opinion they take all the consultations they can get just short of actually letting TransLink buy it out as your transit prices would double.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #2090
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
Small bump, I'm curious about the 302 BRT out of the Southeast.
I don't take the 302 much any more, but if ridership numbers are right then at 130th ave there are still seats available. You will likely be sitting beside somebody though. This is at 6:30 in the morning; you didn't indicate when your travel time is.

52 minutes is about right if everything is working as it should. I'd bank on closer to 60 just in case.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #2091
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
Small bump, I'm curious about the 302 BRT out of the Southeast. Does anyone take it from Prestwick/New Brighton to downtown? How full is the bus at the stop right before 130th? Also, approximately how long does it take to reach downtown, is Google maps 52 minutes somewhat accurate?
If you can catch one of the expresses (117 or 151) in the morning, it will be a bit quicker... ~30 minutes if you get a deerfoot bus. Coming home though, the 50-min estimate is closer.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #2092
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks guys for the info guys. Looks like I have 3 options I can consider to get downtown now via Bus. The SETWAY would likely reduce these times as well as it is built.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #2093
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: 302 times

About an hour from the Mackenzie Towne Terminal to the 5th Street stop. 117 is faster going to work but about the same coming home. Plus the last 117 leaves the south at about 7am and leaves downtown before 5 so if your work hours don't jive with that, you are screwed.

You can take one into downtown and the other home, which I did for a while, but I just stick with the 302 for now. If it takes 10 mins longer, I get to watch extra TV.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #2094
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tuscany LRT to open August 23rd. Confirmed by councillor Ward Sutherland via Twitter. He gave a link to the Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak Community Facebook page, where there are some details : https://www.facebook.com/rrroca.org

Basically an official opening on Saturday, August 23rd and regular revenue service beginning on the following Monday, the 25th.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #2095
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Any news on Connect from our connected members? I've seen them starting to pop up in buses again for further testing. Anything about CT having to go back to the drawing board on their proposed fare changes?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #2096
Black Dog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hey, I work for The City (not in Transportation) and they sent out a briefing on Tuscany Station so I thought I'd share it:
  • The project to build the CTrain extension to a new station called Tuscany Station has been completed and is opening ahead of the previously announced fall opening date.
  • Tuscany Station is part of an integrated transportation network connecting Calgary Transit customers with existing roads and pathways, which allows Calgarians further choice in how they move around the city.
  • In addition to taking the bus, customers also have the option of walking or biking to the station using the regional pathways in the area.
  • The station was designed based on feedback from a Community Consultation Committee as well as input from residents at five open houses hosted by The City of Calgary.
  • The plan was also approved by The City of Calgary’s Advisory Committee on Accessibility.
  • Calgary Transit consulted with customers about how the system should operate and based on their feedback, Calgary Transit added one new bus route and altered existing routes to make the system as convenient as possible in the northwest area. With around 40,000 residents living in the communities of Rocky Ridge, Royal Oak and Tuscany, Calgary Transit anticipates they will be adding around 9,300 more passenger trips on weekdays.
  • The extension will improve travel time, reliability and customer service for Calgary Transit customers in the area.
Complete Communities and Sustainability
  • The communities of Rocky Ridge, Royal Oak and Tuscany have been designed with Tuscany Station as a mobility focus.
  • The station has direct bus service from the adjacent communities, high density residential properties are located near the station, and over 5,000 people live within a 10 minute walk of the station.
  • The CTrain is powered by wind-generated electricity, offering customers a 100% emissions-free travel option.
  • Calgary’s sustainability is enhanced through investments in transit, reducing the need for roadway and parking infrastructure, improving air quality, reducing greenhouse gases, shaping and creating lower-footprint development patterns and supporting economic development.
  • Other sustainability initiatives include rain garden beds, which collect and clean storm water and reduce irrigation and the elimination of escalators, which will reduce long-term energy and maintenance costs. Two elevators provide access to the platform.

Efficient Service Delivery
  • The Tuscany extension is an efficient way to handle growth in ridership in northwest Calgary while supporting the goals of the Calgary Transportation Plan and Municipal Development Plan.
  • The Red Line extension replaces circuitous bus service, saving two buses every day (worth over $1 million a year).
  • By tying the community feeder bus network to Tuscany Station instead of Crowfoot Station, Calgary Transit decreases round trip time for buses, reduces fuel consumption, and reduces vehicle wear and tear in the long term.
  • More than 300,000 people ride the CTrain every weekday. It is the most successful light rail transit system in North America.

Alignment with Long-Term Plans
  • RouteAhead, a 30-year Strategic Plan for Transit in Calgary, identifies the Tuscany extension as part of a future rapid transit network that offers a faster way to travel in Calgary.
  • The Municipal Development Plan/Calgary Transportation Plan, The City’s 60-year integrated land use and mobility plan, includes the Tuscany extension in a network that will provide a safe, accessible, customer focused public transit service that is capable of becoming the preferred mobility choice of Calgarians.

FAQ
1. When will Tuscany Station open?
The new station will open for customers to use on the morning of Mon., Aug. 25 as will new and revised bus service connecting the communities of Rocky Ridge, Royal Oak and Tuscany to the new station. More information is available on www.calgarytransit.com about new routes and schedules.

2. Will I be able to ride my bike to the station and securely store it?
There are two bike shelters at the station - one on the north (Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak side), and one on the Tuscany (south) side with space for about 12-15 bikes at each location. Bikes can be locked to bike racks in the shelters.

3. Will I be able to park my car at the station?
There are two Park and Ride lots at Tuscany Station – one on the north (Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak side, and one on the Tuscany side. There are about 550 parking spots in total. This station will offer Reserved Parking, which is typically 50 per cent of the parking spaces. Calgary Transit is working on implementing Reserved Parking at this station. All spots will be available on a first-come, first-served basis until then.

3. Are there any Handicapped parking spots in the Park and Ride lots?
Six handicapped parking stalls are available next to the ramp to the station in the Tuscany Park and Ride and six accessible parking stalls are available next to the ramp to the station in the Rocky Ridge Park and Ride lot.

4. I heard there are no escalators in the station. How will I get to the station platform if I can’t use the stairs?
There are two elevators in the station for the use of anyone who cannot use the stairs to access the station platform (there is no escalator in this station). During peak periods, customers can access the elevator freely. During non-peak periods, elevator access is monitored to ensure the safety of customers. Simply push the Help Phone button near the elevator doors and your request is immediately sent to the 24-hour service area where security personnel will open the doors. This only takes a few extra seconds and helps Calgary Transit provide customer safety and security at the station.

5. What was the budget for this station and how was it funded?
The overall project budget is $123.3 million. Funding is primarily from the Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) operated by the Province of Alberta.

6. Is there public art at the station?
The public art project for the Tuscany LRT is expected to be completed in the summer of 2015. Canadian artist Bill Pechet has been selected to design and construct two permanent installations, one on either side of Crowchild Trail. The public art will create a strong visual identity and dynamic character for the station. The all-inclusive public art budget for Tuscany Station is $750,000. Additional public art will be provided in the station in 2015/16.

7. What has happened to the Eamon’s building that used to be on this site? Will it be returned to the site?
The building has been moved off-site and is being stored so that construction on the Park and Ride lot could continue. The building will be stored off-site until a suitable lessee is found to operate a business onsite in the building. There is a location in the Park and Ride lot for the building when it is returned to the site and the utilities have been installed for the building.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #2097
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is interesting that they chose to forego the installation of escalators in the new train station.

How much energy is saved when escalators use different speed settings (ie. sensors that detect usage and power up the escalators and power down when there is no usage)?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #2098
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It is interesting that they chose to forego the installation of escalators in the new train station.

How much energy is saved when escalators use different speed settings (ie. sensors that detect usage and power up the escalators and power down when there is no usage)?

Don't know about the energy, but I think it saves on maintenance costs as well. I can't count how many times I have seen the Canyon Meadows station escalators blocked off for maintenance/fixing. It happens on a weekly basis now. They should just shut them down permanently.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #2099
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Don't know about the energy, but I think it saves on maintenance costs as well. I can't count how many times I have seen the Canyon Meadows station escalators blocked off for maintenance/fixing. It happens on a weekly basis now. They should just shut them down permanently.
I don't use the CTrain very frequently anymore but I'm always surprised when the escalators at stations are actually working.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #2100
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
But is it cheaper to maintain escalators or elevators? It is likely that the elevators will have significantly more usage due to a lack of escalators.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings