Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #2061
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
On a side note, if people pay for transit i don't get why we have to put so much money into it.
Do you have any idea how much the government subsidizes Transit??
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #2062
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
When there's a possible reduction to municipal funding from the province on the horizon, why does Nenshi bring up infrastructure for cuts first. Seems like it's his favorite or easiest thing to cut. It has the fourth highest budget after the police, transit and fire department. I would leave the police budget alone. On a side note, if people pay for transit i don't get why we have to put so much money into it.
It is more efficient to stop building new things than to stop operating things that you've already built.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #2063
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why do the 2015 tax assessments no longer show the revenue neutral adjusted mill rate calculation like they have in years past?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #2064
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is there seemingly consant construction on Stoney in the NW? Didn't they just build this like 3 years ago? Why wasn't whatever they need do done when first building it? Theres also some ridiculous lane endings and such that seem to me accidents waiting to happen? Why wasn't this thing made three lanes on both sides all the way around?

on sort of the same topic, the reflectors we use on roads are terrible. If the road is even the slightest bit damp, I don't know about anyone else but I can't see the lines for crap. Is there a problem with using the types of reflectors that actually come out of the road like the three round bumps, or the small thin ones that you just drive over? They seem to work much better in the places that I've seen them. The paint is brutal.

On a similar note, and I don't tink Nenshi has anything to do with this, but maybe he can help prop up the idea: How is there not street lights all along the QEII? I drove from EDM to CGY in what I would describe as pretty standard, clear, night winter conditions and the toughest part for me was seeing the road, and not because of the weather. For such a busy and accident-ridden highway, you'd think something like this would help.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #2065
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Why do the 2015 tax assessments no longer show the revenue neutral adjusted mill rate calculation like they have in years past?
I assume because it was horribly misleading.

HERE'S YOUR NEW 2015 TAX BILL: 0.00143532 * $250,000 = $4,000*

*assuming nothing changes in the budget and revenues needed which never happens.

Then come tax bill time, everyone who doesn't understand the system flips out because it doesn't match their assessment.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #2066
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Why is there seemingly consant construction on Stoney in the NW? Didn't they just build this like 3 years ago? Why wasn't whatever they need do done when first building it? Theres also some ridiculous lane endings and such that seem to me accidents waiting to happen? Why wasn't this thing made three lanes on both sides all the way around?

on sort of the same topic, the reflectors we use on roads are terrible. If the road is even the slightest bit damp, I don't know about anyone else but I can't see the lines for crap. Is there a problem with using the types of reflectors that actually come out of the road like the three round bumps, or the small thin ones that you just drive over? They seem to work much better in the places that I've seen them. The paint is brutal.

On a similar note, and I don't tink Nenshi has anything to do with this, but maybe he can help prop up the idea: How is there not street lights all along the QEII? I drove from EDM to CGY in what I would describe as pretty standard, clear, night winter conditions and the toughest part for me was seeing the road, and not because of the weather. For such a busy and accident-ridden highway, you'd think something like this would help.
Snowplows
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #2067
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Then come tax bill time, everyone who doesn't understand the system flips out because it doesn't match their assessment.
Yeah but as it stands everyone that doesn't understand the system is flipping out cause their assessments went up 10% (or more) and they think the city is out to get them...
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #2068
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I live on a corner lot and knobs keep driving on the sidewalk as they're going around the bend. I actaully have some tracks from some idiot that cut it so close that they made it onto my lawn (prior snow fall in November). Is there something the city can do to stop idiots from being idiots in this situation?

Maybe this:

Spoiler!

Or this:

Spoiler!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #2069
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

is there any way the mayor can pass legislation to force car washes to be open no matter what the outdoor temp is?

most car washed in teh SE are closed when it is -20 or colder. this is crap!!! this si the bst time to wash a vehicle as it will stay clean.

i can from Wpg and the car washes there are open all of the time.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #2070
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I live on a corner lot and knobs keep driving on the sidewalk as they're going around the bend. I actaully have some tracks from some idiot that cut it so close that they made it onto my lawn (prior snow fall in November). Is there something the city can do to stop idiots from being idiots in this situation?

Maybe this:
People on my circle on the inside corners put up cones to mark the curb when the snow gets deep enough. Works well. Just 2 cones keeps people from inadvertently cutting the corner too tight.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #2071
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
is there any way the mayor can pass legislation to force car washes to be open no matter what the outdoor temp is?

most car washed in teh SE are closed when it is -20 or colder. this is crap!!! this si the bst time to wash a vehicle as it will stay clean.

i can from Wpg and the car washes there are open all of the time.
This is brutal to read.

i can from wpg, how is babby formed.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #2072
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My parents had this issue, though there was no sidewalk in front. They got two large boulders and placed them at the edge of their property on the corner. It was around a landscaped type area so the boulders didn't look way out of place.If you cut that corner too tight then blamo, new bumper time.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #2073
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Everyone knows it's the feds that control car wash opening hours. Harper, why do you insist on your dirty car secret agenda?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #2074
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
People on my circle on the inside corners put up cones to mark the curb when the snow gets deep enough. Works well. Just 2 cones keeps people from inadvertently cutting the corner too tight.
I thought about that, but I'm pretty sure it happens in the summer too - the problem is more idiocy than vision.

That said, I was debating the pylon thing but figured it would get taken, or just run over.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #2075
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
My parents had this issue, though there was no sidewalk in front. They got two large boulders and placed them at the edge of their property on the corner. It was around a landscaped type area so the boulders didn't look way out of place.If you cut that corner too tight then blamo, new bumper time.
Awesome!

However, if I can solve the sidewalk issue the lawn occurance however rare would be moot.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #2076
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome!

However, if I can solve the sidewalk issue the lawn occurance however rare would be moot.
Yeah, my solution doesn't really work with a sidewalk - I was trying to think of a way to solve that, but I couldn't come up with any ideas.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #2077
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
This is brutal to read.

i can from wpg, how is babby formed.
i blame fat fingers, lack of proofing, and being at a rush while at work for my poorly worded post......usually my english is perfectly cromulent.....
Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #2078
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i blame fat fingers, lack of proofing, and being at a rush while at work for my poorly worded post......usually my english is perfectly cromulent.....
I often wonder how many periods you've posted on CP in your time here....................................It's got be north of 100 000 by now...
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #2079
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ if I was to ever get banned, and then attept to come back with another user name, I'd vey quickly tip my hand
Old 02-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #2080
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, all good things come to an end, and after a little over four years in the Mayor's Office I've decided to move onto other city-building adventures.

I figured since the Mayor won the World Mayor Prize, my work is done. It's only down hill from here! Kidding of course, but it has indeed been an incredible privilege to work for this Mayor and amongst my incredible colleagues in the Mayor's Office and across the City of Calgary.

As for this thread, I'll try to convince one of my colleagues or my successor to pick up the baton, but I can't make any promises. Or, perhaps you can call 311 like everyone else.

Josh

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple