Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2024, 04:24 PM   #2061
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
On many BBQ's, the side table are essentially mounted via a 4 bolts and 2 mending plates per side - so no, it won't handle a giant stock pot for a seafood boil. Just get a cheap butane burner / turkey frier if that's what you need to do.

On Webers and Broil Kings, the side burner is not meant for searing foods. It's a simple gas side burner meant for sautéing mushroom and boiling a pot of corn - think side dishes (or in my case - lighting charcoal chimneys). The fact that the cover for this burner only tilts back and is not removable reinforces this. The BTU's for side burners are pretty moderate too.

In addition, on Webers the sear burner is an additional burner in the firebox (main body of the BBQ), whereas on Napoleons it is an infrared burner in the side tables. I personally prefer the burner to be in the firebox as it makes less of a mess from spattering. But the Napoleon heats up quicker.
Thanks. It's really helpful to have someone clarify that these different side burners are all seemingly designed for slightly different purposes depending on brands and models. It makes far more sense to think of it this way and consider this logic, especially when others comment that it can be used in a specific way and many of us kinda look at our BBQs going, "No, I don't think that's possible.". It's good to know that not all BBQ side burners were designed the same and capable of all the same purposes.

We did buy a cheap butane burner instead of using that side burner. On occasion we have contemplated upgrading to a turkey fryer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 05:16 PM   #2062
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll post this here in case anyone else has a Save on Foods near their house because this deal seems too good. They have some packages of grass fed ribeye steak that has some beautiful marbling for only $22/kg. It is bone off so you are only paying for meat and the marbling almost looks like the Brant Lake Wagyu. The packaging says it is imported beef but no indication where it is from. A three pack was only around $18 and I bought a few packages to freeze.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 10:49 PM   #2063
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'll post this here in case anyone else has a Save on Foods near their house because this deal seems too good. They have some packages of grass fed ribeye steak that has some beautiful marbling for only $22/kg. It is bone off so you are only paying for meat and the marbling almost looks like the Brant Lake Wagyu. The packaging says it is imported beef but no indication where it is from. A three pack was only around $18 and I bought a few packages to freeze.
Only a few packages left when I arrived (including 2 I got them to get me from the back). I suspect the better marbled ones went first based on your description, as mine are good but not spectacular. Still a great price though - thanks for sharing! These'll be great for father's day.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber