Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 09:29 AM   #2041
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Well I am going to take the opposite stance as one of the always optimistic fans and say we need to be in the top 10 in the NHL. Everybody always says we need to finish bottom 10 because of our pick, I say we use some of those draft picks and young assets to add another top 6 C and a top 4 D. Then Montreal can take our mid to late 20's pick and we still have Florida's mid to late 20's pick plus playoffs. I do agree we can't be in the mushy middle though, either be good or be bad.
I can't believe they are a top 6 centre and a top 4 dman away from the top ten in the NHL. And to use draft picks/prospects to obtain that would be very foolish long term. I am assuming Marky would be kept in this scenario.

Calgary wasn't that close to a playoff team with Hanafin, Tanev, Lindholm and Zadorov.

Is it possible? Anything I guess is possible. But the odds are really long they are going to be top 10. And it's not likely they could pivot half way through the season.

I like your optimism, but I'm not sure you are particularly realistic of the odds. And I hate the idea of betting draft picks and young assets to support your optimism.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #2042
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames don't finish bottom 10 next year, Montreal gets the Flames pick - which is more likely to be 10-15 than mid 20s.

The Flames simply need to bottom out next year.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 09:49 AM   #2043
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I am not calling him a bum either.

I just said he really isn't as impactful when you watch the games like his numbers say.

I know you provided examples, and that is why it is probably not matching the eye test and the advanced stats.

Some people are saying he is unhappy with his role, I just don't see him doing much with a bigger role he doesn't have that extra gear. If he was a 3.5-4 million player we would be fine.
The little things done right regularly don't register on 99% of fans eye test.

Digging deeper ... he's an offensive engine for play driving, but not a shut down guy defensively. So his expected goal totals are always off the charts leading to high percentages.

His xGF60 in the last three seasons sits behind only Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

His individual expected goals60 is 4th behind Tkachuk, Coleman, and Toffoli.

His individual high danger chances60 is 2nd behind Tkachuk.

He just doesn't have the finish to convert the goals he creates.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 10:08 AM   #2044
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I can't believe they are a top 6 centre and a top 4 dman away from the top ten in the NHL. And to use draft picks/prospects to obtain that would be very foolish long term. I am assuming Marky would be kept in this scenario.

Calgary wasn't that close to a playoff team with Hanafin, Tanev, Lindholm and Zadorov.

Is it possible? Anything I guess is possible. But the odds are really long they are going to be top 10. And it's not likely they could pivot half way through the season.

I like your optimism, but I'm not sure you are particularly realistic of the odds. And I hate the idea of betting draft picks and young assets to support your optimism.
Yeah, the Flames won’t get better players than the ones they traded. Outside of Honzek and Poirier magically becoming a #1C and #1D next season the roster will be worse. Trading futures for players would be disappointing
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:08 AM   #2045
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If the Flames don't finish bottom 10 next year, Montreal gets the Flames pick - which is more likely to be 10-15 than mid 20s.

The playoffs will tell you that you will not be trading for guys like a Makar, Mackinnon, McDavid, Kopitar, Doughty, Heiskanen, Adam Fox, Eichel, Hughes, Tkachuk, Barkov etc.

I know I listed some generational players, but the point is you need star power and game breakers. Eichel and Tkachuk are rare as they asked for trades and that just doesn't happen that often enough.

Trading our assets will get us a PLD or Lindholm, and we just keep doing the same thing over and over.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 10:09 AM   #2046
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The little things done right regularly don't register on 99% of fans eye test.

Digging deeper ... he's an offensive engine for play driving, but not a shut down guy defensively. So his expected goal totals are always off the charts leading to high percentages.

His xGF60 in the last three seasons sits behind only Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

His individual expected goals60 is 4th behind Tkachuk, Coleman, and Toffoli.

His individual high danger chances60 is 2nd behind Tkachuk.

He just doesn't have the finish to convert the goals he creates.
Are you comparing him to former Flames, or is that from our 21/22 season?
Old 04-30-2024, 10:11 AM   #2047
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Are you comparing him to former Flames, or is that from our 21/22 season?
All Flames forwards that played 500 or more minutes in the combined seasons of 21-22, 22-23, and 23-24
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 10:39 AM   #2048
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

They get the better of the Florida/Calgary pick, if Calgary finishes outside of the top 10, don't they? But realistically, that's almost certainly going to be the Calgary pick.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 12:31 PM   #2049
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They get the better of the Florida/Calgary pick, if Calgary finishes outside of the top 10, don't they? But realistically, that's almost certainly going to be the Calgary pick.
"2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. "

Given the Flames are re-tooling and might move their #1 goalie,

I would think the above clause is the likely scenario for next season.

(i.e. not sure, what type of players the Flames will add. Specifically at defense)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:41 PM   #2050
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The playoffs will tell you that you will not be trading for guys like a Makar, Mackinnon, McDavid, Kopitar, Doughty, Heiskanen, Adam Fox, Eichel, Hughes, Tkachuk, Barkov etc.

I know I listed some generational players, but the point is you need star power and game breakers. Eichel and Tkachuk are rare as they asked for trades and that just doesn't happen that often enough.

Trading our assets will get us a PLD or Lindholm, and we just keep doing the same thing over and over.
lists two players that were traded
Old 04-30-2024, 12:43 PM   #2051
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 actually
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 12:58 PM   #2052
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are we rebuilding or retooling? Or we are going to "all in" next season?
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:00 PM   #2053
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

So we hope flames finish bottom 10 and panthers win the cup next year
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:03 PM   #2054
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a real shame Flames fans have had to put up with such mediocrity over the last 34 years. There are so many devoted fans on this forum and around the province that deserve better. I'm sure more than a few longtime fans have come to grips with the fact that they may never see this team win another cup. The one thing that concerns me is the erosion of the fanbase as generations of new fans in Alberta that are growing up Oilers fans. My wife tells me on jersey days they have more kids in Oilers jerseys than Flames jerseys and that's kind of sad. The organization badly needs a face of the franchise star that they can market and sell to younger generations. I simply don't think trying to plug the leaks to stay competitive for an 8th playoff spot is doing this organization any good in the long term.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:05 PM   #2055
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Next season is such a question mark. I'm not convinced that they will be a bottom 10 team and it's really hard to imagine them making the playoffs, which is pretty much worst case when it comes to the 1st next year.

Markstrom was atrocious to end the season (post-deadline) with a 1-7-0 record along with an .870 SV% and a 3.55 GAA. For comparison's sake, Wolf went 6-4-0 with a .902 SV% and 2.74 GAA.

The penalty kill also completely went off the rails when Hanifin and Tanev were traded. 71.4% after spending most of the season in the top 10.

Plenty for Conroy and Huska to do just to get the team into the mix for a wildcard berth.

Last edited by Savvy27; 04-30-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:09 PM   #2056
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a real shame Flames fans have had to put up with such mediocrity over the last 34 years. There are so many devoted fans on this forum and around the province that deserve better. I'm sure more than a few longtime fans have come to grips with the fact that they may never see this team win another cup. The one thing that concerns me is the erosion of the fanbase as generations of new fans in Alberta that are growing up Oilers fans. My wife tells me on jersey days they have more kids in Oilers jerseys than Flames jerseys and that's kind of sad. The organization badly needs a face of the franchise star that they can market and sell to younger generations. I simply don't think trying to plug the leaks to stay competitive for an 8th playoff spot is doing this organization any good in the long term.
This is why Iginla is the guy for me at ~9. Give fans something to be excited about. Maybe we get Hagens/McQueen next year and McKenna/Iginla in 2026
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:10 PM   #2057
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How about sign Stamkos and Guentzel as FA. Convince Crosby to come here and trade for him and Letang. Sign Tanev and Myers for short term deal.
Should be compete next season for the cup.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:13 PM   #2058
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
How about sign Stamkos and Guentzel as FA. Convince Crosby to come here and trade for him and Letang. Sign Tanev and Myers for short term deal.
Should be compete next season for the cup.
the cup at the retirement center
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:18 PM   #2059
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those trades are special circumstances.

Eichel because of a injury and disagreement. Tkachuk wanted out. Fox was playing for 1 team.

If you can find me examples of players like that available right now, I am listening.

I am sure LA will take our 1st for PLD. Or everyone's favourite Dawson Mercer can probably be had for our 1st as well.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:22 PM   #2060
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Next season is such a question mark. I'm not convinced that they will be a bottom 10 team and it's really hard to imagine them making the playoffs, which is pretty much worst case when it comes to the 1st next year.

Markstrom was atrocious to end the season (post-deadline) with a 1-7-0 record along with an .870 SV% and a 3.55 GAA. For comparison's sake, Wolf went 6-4-0 with a .902 SV% and 2.74 GAA.

The penalty kill also completely went off the rails when Hanifin and Tanev were traded. 71.4% after spending most of the season in the top 10.

Plenty for Conroy and Huska to do just to get the team into the mix for a wildcard berth.
I don’t really see how they aren’t a bottom ten team next year when they are one this year and the roster will be worse next year. The PK went off the rails because they lost two top four dmen and now have a bottom 5 dcore.
They need a top pairing dman, a second pairing dman, and a top six center to get back to where they were pre-deadline.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good