Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #2041
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favourite quote of the year was Darryl very subtly mentioning after the trade that he wished Bennett was still around and that he wished they’d have more time working together.

Can’t imagine sutter feeling that way about many other guys on this team... not many “sutter players” on this roster.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #2042
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Hot streak and playing with some elite players. He will be back to the third line next season. There have been many mediocre players that have looked good on the Panthers over the past few years.
This is such a head in the sand comment.

Yeah - two such mediocre players - Marchessault and Smith seem to be doing great on Vegas.

I envision Bennett continuing to have success and putting up 55-60 points next season if the Panthers continue playing him with Huberdeau and the top PP. That guys a 90+ point player.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #2043
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Honest question, have you watched Bennett play at all in Florida?
I will be honest, not a ton. However, I really don't believe he has all of a sudden turned into an elite #1 centre.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #2044
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I will be honest, not a ton. However, I really don't believe he has all of a sudden turned into an elite #1 centre.
He hasn’t turned into an elite #1 center. That’s Barkov.

He has been given the opportunity to play with an elite player in Huberdeau at ES and Barkov/Huberdeau on the PP. His ice-time has increased from 13 mins to 18 mins. He now plays in all situations.

His success is coming directly as a result of playing with more talented players and a vastly increased role.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #2045
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Me neither, but he looks like a great #2 who is succeeding in all situations. He looks like a stud on the PP
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #2046
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's not, but he is a very good #2 who does the hard work at both ends of the ice, gets pucks for his wingers who create offense, and he benefits from that because his wingers are really good. He's doing a LOT of little things all over the ice to help his team win. Tons of hits too. Is a key penalty killer and is being counted on to shutdown the Point line tonight.

In one case, Wennberg's line was set to start in their own zone, but instead of Wennberg, they put Sam out there to take the defensive zone faceoff. He won it cleanly and then went to change.

Clearly the coaches see what Sam is doing. It's not purely about points either.

Side note: the stats guys had to point out that Sam has covered the most ice of any player on the Panthers tonight (pure distance). The kid is hustling.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #2047
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So mad the team I cheer for has it head so far up its own arse it couldn't do for Bennett what FLA is doing now.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #2048
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Me neither, but he looks like a great #2 who is succeeding in all situations. He looks like a stud on the PP
Fair enough. All the best to him as I don't have anything personal against him.

I just really don't see what the Flames could have done differently. They weren't breaking up Gaudreau and Monahan. Maybe if he played with Tkachuk? Just not sure he was ever going to work out here.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #2049
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The thing I take solace in is that he asked to be moved and therefore was a distraction. I don't think we'd ever see this Sam Bennett here.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #2050
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another 2 pts again so far tonight. Maybe he won't go James Neal.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #2051
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I see this thread bumped during game time I just think in my head "Ah, good ol Benny must be having another multi point game!"

Never disappoints.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #2052
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So mad the team I cheer for has it head so far up its own arse it couldn't do for Bennett what FLA is doing now.
It is frustrating, but it is a sign that the Flames need to clean house and make some internal improvements. Sometimes situations like these can be game changers for improvement. Will the Flames get the memo is the big question.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #2053
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Every time I see this thread bumped during game time I just think in my head "Ah, good ol Benny must be having another multi point game!"

Never disappoints.
Can you imagine a Panthers fan doing an ATL on this thread alone? The mind reels.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #2054
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He's not, but he is a very good #2
I don't think it would be crazy to consider him a "1" if he maintains PPG production.

He's obviously a tier below Barkov, McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Eichel, Point etc. No argument there. But there are a lot of second-tier "#1" centers along the lines of Stamkos, O'Reilly, Toews, Tavares, Backstrom. And Bennett as you noted does a lot that goes beyond production. I honestly think he looks better down the middle than Lindholm does for us.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-08-2021 at 07:22 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #2055
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post

Never disappoints.
It is great to see. The Panthers took a different approach and played the former 4th overall pick with some skilled players. It appears that approach is working out nicely for them.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #2056
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Another 2 pts again so far tonight. Maybe he won't go James Neal.
To be fair Neal was the NHL goal scoring leader after 10 games
Old 05-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #2057
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't think it would be crazy to consider him a "1" if he maintains PPG production.

He's obviously a tier below Barkov, McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Eichel, Point etc. No argument there. But there are a lot of second-tier "#1" centers along the lines of Stamkos, O'Reilly, Toews, Tavares, Backstrom. And Bennett as you noted does a lot that goes beyond production.
PPG is a pretty big IF. Obviously an 82 point player would be in that convo...remains to be seen
Old 05-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #2058
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

He's obviously a tier below Barkov, McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Eichel, Point etc. No argument there. But there are a lot of second-tier "#1" centers along the lines of Stamkos, O'Reilly, Toews, Tavares, Backstrom. And Bennett as you noted does a lot that goes beyond production. I honestly think he looks better down the middle than Lindholm does for us.
Meh...

I know you're a big fan, but I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Come back to me if he does it over a full season. I suspect his real level is somewhere between what he did in Calgary and what we're seeing right now. That's still pretty good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #2059
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Meh...

I know you're a big fan, but I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Come back to me if he does it over a full season. I suspect his real level is somewhere between what he did in Calgary and what we're seeing right now. That's still pretty good.
Agreed, no need to create those high expectations. Just enjoy what you have and if he proves us all wrong good for him. Would be a great story, but those playoffs are going to fun to watch!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #2060
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He still probably tops out at a 40-45 point player over a full season.

Not to say that isn't valuable with what he brings

But he was never the difference between us having great center depth and subpar center depth since he just didn't bring it as a Flame.

Whatever the reasons.. doesn't matter. Wasn't a fit, wasn't motivated, coach grudge.. he didn't bring his best consistently at any point.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: