Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #2041
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Haha. Stupid Acer.
Something we can all agree on!
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #2042
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he is sharing the media with his iTunes, then it should be a no brainer to access it with the iPad.

I have heard an App called Stream to Me works for accessing other various file shares, but since I don't actually own an iPad I obviously have not tested it.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #2043
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okay. My brother and I are pooling our resources and getting our mother an iPad for Christmas.

Now, there are apps that I have that I'm sure she will definitely use. I understand that I can authorize 5 computers to use my library. Can I legally share my library with another household? I think the idea originally was to share between computers in the same house.

If I can share the apps, how to I move them from province to province? From what I am reading, you take the .ipa files off my computer, put them on a USB key... but what do I do on the destination computer?

I gather it's the same idea for videos? I have all of "Star Trek: TOS" that my mother would like to have that I purchased from the US iTunes store.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #2044
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I thought the 5 computer thing was for sharing your iTunes account. Your mother will have to use your iTunes account to use/upgrade the apps and videos. I could be wrong though but I don't think you can just transfer the files and they'll work.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #2045
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I thought the 5 computer thing was for sharing your iTunes account. Your mother will have to use your iTunes account to use/upgrade the apps and videos. I could be wrong though but I don't think you can just transfer the files and they'll work.
That is how I understand it as well. Sure they could sync Mom's new iPad to song's computer with Star Trek on it. However when Mom went to add something on her computer the previous stuff would be wiped.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #2046
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

you should be able to take the ipa, double click it to add it to itunes on the 2nd pc, then log in with that ipa's itunes account and authorize that computer.

purchased videos cannot be xferred since they have tighter DRM if i remember correctly
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #2047
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
If I can share the apps, how to I move them from province to province? From what I am reading, you take the .ipa files off my computer, put them on a USB key... but what do I do on the destination computer?
Plug in the device with the apps you want to share with your mom to her computer (ensure it doesn't start auto-syncing).
Click on "Transfer purchases".
Works for videos as well.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #2048
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The issue with sharing apps, as others have pointed out, is that Mom will have to keep signing in and out of your iTunes account to keep them updated.

This works fine until Mom forgets to sign out, and proceeds to make other purchases on your dime.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #2049
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The issue with sharing apps, as others have pointed out, is that Mom will have to keep signing in and out of your iTunes account to keep them updated.

This works fine until Mom forgets to sign out, and proceeds to make other purchases on your dime.
It would prompt for your password though, so you'd want to be sure you showed her the process for logging in and out so she isn't confused when it inevitably happens.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #2050
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It would prompt for your password though, so you'd want to be sure you showed her the process for logging in and out so she isn't confused when it inevitably happens.
It's pretty confusing working with apps purchased on multiple accounts.

Particularly in iTunes - it'll tell you there are apps available to be updated, and you'll check, and none will show up, until you realize you have to sign out of your existing account, into the other account, and re-check for updates. Then, you have to sign out of that account again if you want to make future purchases of apps or content using your regular account.

On the iPad itself, if you aren't paying attention to which account its asking for the password for, you run the risk of entering the wrong password too many times, and then the password needs to be reset. It sounds silly, but I've managed to do it a few times now, even though I should know better.

The gold standard for gifting an iPad, I think, is to include a $50 iTunes gift card. That should be plenty to purchase quite a few top-tier apps using their own account. If you're splitting the initial purchase price, an extra $25 each isn't that bad, and $50 will go a long way in the app space.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #2051
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Calgary Herald and the Sun released their iPad apps today. I've downloaded the Herald one and it's pretty good. It's free right now but who knows how long that will last.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #2052
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Calgary Herald and the Sun released their iPad apps today. I've downloaded the Herald one and it's pretty good. It's free right now but who knows how long that will last.
I feel just filthy saying this, but that's something I would consider paying for if the service was worth it.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #2053
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did they manage to release it on the same day??? That's weird.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #2054
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
8 other papers did as well.

I'll have to check it out. Herald doesn't offer delivery where I am, and I hate stacks of papers ending up in the recycling/trash anyways. That's one I could see subscribing too even if it was a paid app.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #2055
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
My guess is they are all developed by one company. I noticed in the info area it mentions the company as being a leader in media apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #2056
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a SOLID newspaper app. Clean, responsive, uncluttered.

Option to download an issue for offline reading.

Free as of now, but something I would pay $5/week for. This is the future of news media IMO.

EDIT: Should mention I'm talking about the Herald. No interest in The Sun.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #2057
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This would be pretty awesome for someone overseas... I know there already is an online herald but it's definitely something I would have liked when traveling.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #2058
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a SOLID newspaper app. Clean, responsive, uncluttered.

Option to download an issue for offline reading.

Free as of now, but something I would pay $5/week for. This is the future of news media IMO.

EDIT: Should mention I'm talking about the Herald. No interest in The Sun.
$5 a month I could see. I can get the paper delivered to my house for far less than $5 a week.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #2059
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The one app I'm disappointed they haven't come up with, that I think they should have, is the Old Farmer's Almanac. I realize punching a chain hole in the top left corner of the iPad would be an expensive and one time feat, but it would be worth it.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #2060
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Global has a video app or the iPad now. They have 18 shows to watch episodes of including House, SNL and The Office.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote