Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2023, 01:09 PM   #2041
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Maybe there's no beans to spill

I (unfortunately) think there's a very realistic scenario where in the next couple of days we just have made the draft picks we already have, and haven't traded anyone.

And next week we see an extension for Lindholm.

Sometime this summer we see Toffoli & Hanifin traded for future picks & prospects.

Backlund & Tanev get traded to contenders at the deadline.

Not to be debbie downer but I think it's probably more likely (and more boring) for the above to happen than to see multiple Flames traded in the next couple days.

Hopefully we see some moves though because that's just not as exciting.

I agree this is probably the likeliest scenario. I would love for the trades to be for first round picks in this draft but it’s feeling less likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #2042
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
With Conroy GM I expect there to be much looser lips around the team, which is why it's hard to completely discount randoms who claim to have information.
People have really got to stop projecting Conroy's public personality on to how he gets his actual work done.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #2043
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
It is totally bonkers -- and doesn't reflect well on the collective brain power in NHL hockey ops -- that it took as long as it did for someone to figure out how to execute a sign and trade, which has been a staple transaction in other leagues for decades.
Agreed.

It took a desperate situation for Treliving to exercise some creativity and do something outside the box. Have to hand it to him. But they really should've already been commonplace in trades.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #2044
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Maybe there's no beans to spill

I (unfortunately) think there's a very realistic scenario where in the next couple of days we just have made the draft picks we already have, and haven't traded anyone.

And next week we see an extension for Lindholm.

Sometime this summer we see Toffoli & Hanifin traded for future picks & prospects.

Backlund & Tanev get traded to contenders at the deadline.

Not to be debbie downer but I think it's probably more likely (and more boring) for the above to happen than to see multiple Flames traded in the next couple days.

Hopefully we see some moves though because that's just not as exciting.
Yeah some variation of this is how I see it playing out as well. We might get one trade tomorrow but I doubt we see the huge blowup.

Just not the flames way.

They probably don't even know what direction they're going in yet.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #2045
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
With Conroy GM I expect there to be much looser lips around the team, which is why it's hard to completely discount randoms who claim to have information.
This seems dubious.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #2046
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
People have really got to stop projecting Conroy's public personality on to how he gets his actual work done.
Would be nice if some actual work got done so we can start to figure out what kind of GM we have.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:18 PM   #2047
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely this. A lot of jerks on the ice who are really good people off the ice. Just because Conroy is a talker publicly, doesn't mean who is leaking or gonna leak all kinds of things externally.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:18 PM   #2048
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Would be nice if some actual work got done so we can start to figure out what kind of GM we have.
I am very confident the team isn't laying around taking naps right now. #insider
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #2049
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
It is totally bonkers -- and doesn't reflect well on the collective brain power in NHL hockey ops -- that it took as long as it did for someone to figure out how to execute a sign and trade, which has been a staple transaction in other leagues for decades.
I think part of it is that whole rule about only being able to sign 8 year extensions with the current team didn't always exist. There was no real need to make it a sign and trade. It used to be that the team acquiring the player would just be given permission to talk about a contract with the player before the trade was made to get a deal in principle, then the acquiring team would sign the player right after the trade.

It also only makes sense in relatively rare cases where the team wants to sign the player for 8 years. One smaller factor is that almost all new contracts come with some kind of NMC which prevents players from getting blindsided right after signing. Most teams would never do that, but it has happened in other leagues where NMCs are more rare.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:21 PM   #2050
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he probably lets things slip when he's excited. And I base it on that being Conroy every single time I've seen him.

He shared a number of things in his presser for example that most gms would keep to themselves.

Its fine. It's not an indictment on him and unlike some I don't think it hurts business much if at all. Just a different personality.

I really doubt Connie's openness is a PR mask and he's a drastically different guy behind closed doors. That would be quite the act if so.

When he was a player he was this way. And he's the same way now as an exec.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:21 PM   #2051
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea whats going on. #outsider
Old 06-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #2052
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The guy had an entire pro hockey career as a player and has been an executive for what, almost a decade?

And people still reduce him to an awe-shucks chatty Kathy or someone who is too nice or green to get anything done.

There is absolutely killer instinct and a deep knowledge of the way things work and how to play the game there. He wouldn’t be where he is without it.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #2053
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Except you know these clowns will find a way to screw it up.
Why do you bother?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #2054
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have heard that Treliving didn't collaborate that much within the organization and tended to take on much of the load himself.

Conroy has said he wants broader involvement from the management team.

IMO that is the reason to expect more leaks from the club since more people will have information. It feels like we are already seeing that on the board.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #2055
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The guy had an entire pro hockey career as a player and has been an executive for what, almost a decade?

And people still reduce him to an awe-shucks chatty Kathy or someone who is too nice or green to get anything done.

There is absolutely killer instinct and a deep knowledge of the way things work and how to play the game there. He wouldn’t be where he is without it.
He's a chatty Kathy who's also learned the game.

There's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure he keeps things close to the chest when negotiating and learned from his predecessor. I think the point was there's likely to be more leads for people in the know on teams the Flames might be talking to now. At least an uptick from the next to nothing we heard before.

Doesn't mean he's dull enough to sabotage his work by giving crucial info away. Of course not. But people in that office are probably more likely to give somebody prying a nugget or two.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:31 PM   #2056
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The quiet actually to me tends to mean things are happening.

You tend to get more noise in the media when agents / teams are trying to negotiate via the media, or trying to improve their bargaining position.

Quiet generally means the real work has started.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:32 PM   #2057
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I haven't even heard him being overly chatty and looselipped in an interview in, like, 5-6 years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:32 PM   #2058
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
This seems dubious.
No, he's on his way to LA. Keep up.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:34 PM   #2059
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I doubt the Flames have Lindholm and Hanifin on at 50% cap.

Although I can see them taking some cap back to accomodate a deal.

And I don't think that the Flames are in the drivers seat here, Lindholm and Hanifin are. If they aren't willing to negotiate a new contract with the acquiring team, the price goes down. And for some teams, they may simply not be interested in rentals. And it looks like lots of players who are UFA's in a years time are negotiating based on a huge increase next year in the cap, and adding that into their request.
PLD extended. $8.5x8.

I think if you’re a high end player in position for an extremely lucrative extension, you’re certainly open to signing now opposed to a year from now.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:35 PM   #2060
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
No, he's on his way to LA. Keep up.
Relax. I’m working.