Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 10:17 AM   #2041
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah and despite the rate of inflation appearing stagnant on a monthly basis, when you dive a little deeper things are slowing. I think that when you remove energy and food from the calculation (because they're more volatile, not part of a grand conspiracy!), you get something like 1.87% per month.
100 net new jobs across Canada in December. Just a snapshot to be sure, but consistent with a slowing economy.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 10:54 AM   #2042
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
100 net new jobs across Canada in December. Just a snapshot to be sure, but consistent with a slowing economy.
And what 100,000 new residents in that time?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #2043
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
And what 100,000 new residents in that time?
Yes, but they are going to recover some of the costs to support those people who inevitably won't be able to find housing, jobs or healthcare by selling naming rights for the TFW program to Tim Horton's.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:26 AM   #2044
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

July 2022 8.1% (peak)
August 7.6%
September 7.0%
October 6.9%
November 6.9%
December 6.8%
January 2023 6.3%
February 5.9%
March 5.2%
April 4.3%
May 4.4%
June 3.4%
July 2.8%
Aug 3.3%
Sept 4.0%
Oct 3.8%
Nov 3.1%
Dec 3.1%
Jan 2024 3.4%
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #2045
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
July 2022 8.1% (peak)
August 7.6%
September 7.0%
October 6.9%
November 6.9%
December 6.8%
January 2023 6.3%
February 5.9%
March 5.2%
April 4.3%
May 4.4%
June 3.4%
July 2.8%
Aug 3.3%
Sept 4.0%
Oct 3.8%
Nov 3.1%
Dec 3.1%
Jan 2024 3.4%
Inflation up but the economy is also slowing? Don't know enough about the term, beyond hearing it high school social studies, but "Stagflation"?
Old 01-16-2024, 10:48 AM   #2046
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inflation is still slowing, it's just that last December was abnormally low. So when it dropped out of the year-over-year number and was replaced by a more normal reading, the headline number went up slightly.

But the overall trend is still the same. Inflation is roughly at target, but the headline number is being held up by ~30% mortgage interest inflation. And so far at least, we're not seeing the increase in energy prices that we saw in January 2023, so there's a good chance that early 2024 inflation will be more muted than early 2023.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 12:13 PM   #2047
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

July 2022 8.1% (peak)
August 7.6%
September 7.0%
October 6.9%
November 6.9%
December 6.8%
January 2023 6.3%
February 5.9%
March 5.2%
April 4.3%
May 4.4%
June 3.4%
July 2.8%
Aug 3.3%
Sept 4.0%
Oct 3.8%
Nov 3.1%
Dec 3.1%
Jan 2024 3.4%
Feb 2.9%

2.9% January YOY announced today. Forecast was for 3.3%.

Expectations that we'll see a rate cut in June.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 12:39 PM   #2048
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
“Shelter inflation has become the biggest hurdle preventing the Bank from cutting interest rates,” TD economist Leslie Preston wrote in a research note.

“Shelter inflation will remain sticky as higher interest rates feed through to mortgage interest costs with a lag, and undersupply of housing continues to boost rent prices,” RBC economists Nathan Janzen and Abbey Xu wrote. However, “the most likely path for inflation going forward is still lower with per-capita GDP and consumer spending continuing to decline,” they added.
https://www.canadianmortgagetrends.c...conomists-say/

Interesting....so increased shelter rate inflation are the culprit for ongoing inflation. These increase rates are, in turn, largely tied to both increases in mortgage payments and increased borrowing costs preventing real estate development.

I guess the worry is that if they cut rates housing prices will march upwards again?
Old 02-20-2024, 01:56 PM   #2049
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
July 2022 8.1% (peak)
August 7.6%
September 7.0%
October 6.9%
November 6.9%
December 6.8%
January 2023 6.3%
February 5.9%
March 5.2%
April 4.3%
May 4.4%
June 3.4%
July 2.8%
Aug 3.3%
Sept 4.0%
Oct 3.8%
Nov 3.1%
Dec 3.1%
Jan 2024 3.4%
Feb 2.9%

2.9% January YOY announced today. Forecast was for 3.3%.

Expectations that we'll see a rate cut in June.
The rate cut will drive housing which will drive up pricing which will drive up inflation.

Tough call at this point, though the economy could use a small rate cut just to signal some confidence.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:06 PM   #2050
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The rate cut will drive housing which will drive up pricing which will drive up inflation.

Tough call at this point, though the economy could use a small rate cut just to signal some confidence.
Not really, as mortgage serving costs is what is measured. So a drop in interest rates benefits every house that comes up for renewal regardless of it changes hands or not. Purchase price only affects homes bought or sold. In addition mortgage servicing cost on purchases should be relatively constant in the absense of supply or demand changes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 02:21 PM   #2051
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Not really, as mortgage serving costs is what is measured. So a drop in interest rates benefits every house that comes up for renewal regardless of it changes hands or not. Purchase price only affects homes bought or sold. In addition mortgage servicing cost on purchases should be relatively constant in the absense of supply or demand changes.
The mortgage component of inflation is going to skyrocket in 2024 and 2025 as almost half of the mortgages in Canada, 2.2 million mortgages, come up for renewal. Many of those are super low rate, pandemic mortgages and the new interest rates will be two or three times higher this renewal.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-20-2024, 03:49 PM   #2052
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The mortgage component of inflation is going to skyrocket in 2024 and 2025 as almost half of the mortgages in Canada, 2.2 million mortgages, come up for renewal. Many of those are super low rate, pandemic mortgages and the new interest rates will be two or three times higher this renewal.

Not to be rude, but I've heard that a few times and my ignorant self is saying, "so what"? I renewed back in May. What difference does it make if those with renewals coming up also have to renew at a high rate?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:05 PM   #2053
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Not to be rude, but I've heard that a few times and my ignorant self is saying, "so what"? I renewed back in May. What difference does it make if those with renewals coming up also have to renew at a high rate?
Well, so far, people have adapted and made it work. It might not be a huge issue, because presumably people with mortgages coming up know what’s coming and have at least thought about how to manage it. But it will be interesting to see if more houses start to hit the market because people are afraid that they can’t cope.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 04:10 PM   #2054
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That increase in mortgage interest drives up the inflation rate potentially making it more difficult for the Bank of Canada to combat inflation appropriately. In January, mortgage interest continued to be the #1 driver of inflation with a 27% growth rate. If the Bank of Canada is trying to hit 2% and one component of the calculation is going to be increasing at 20%, 30% or 40% that target could be out of reach.

That doesn't even touch on the issue that housing is the biggest part of a household budget and the upcoming increases could be brutal for household finances.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 05:04 PM   #2055
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, so far, people have adapted and made it work. It might not be a huge issue, because presumably people with mortgages coming up know what’s coming and have at least thought about how to manage it. But it will be interesting to see if more houses start to hit the market because people are afraid that they can’t cope.
Thanks Slava. I’m not saying anything one way or another but I didn’t quite understand why we’re worried about the other half of the population coming up for renewal when others have managed to adapt. Further, I’m in Toronto and the prices are still out of whack. Even as a home owner for a few years things need to come down for sustainability purposes.

Quote:
That increase in mortgage interest drives up the inflation rate potentially making it more difficult for the Bank of Canada to combat inflation appropriately. In January, mortgage interest continued to be the #1 driver of inflation with a 27% growth rate. If the Bank of Canada is trying to hit 2% and one component of the calculation is going to be increasing at 20%, 30% or 40% that target could be out of reach.

That doesn't even touch on the issue that housing is the biggest part of a household budget and the upcoming increases could be brutal for household finances.
The first part yes. The second paragraph I frankly hope continues. Too many real estate investors need to be shaken out of the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 05:41 PM   #2056
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I read today (sorry, can't find the article source now) that the BoC is likely to exclude mortgage interest (and its impact on overall inflation) as a factor in its future rate decisions. As you stated, mortgage interest will have an increasingly negative impact on overall inflation as over 2 million Canadians renew their mortgages at much higher rates in 2024/2025.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:56 PM   #2057
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Somebody smarter than me can probably put me in my uneducated place, but I think this means we are going to see is a divergence between affordability and inflation, as it relates to setting the funds rate. Including the impacts of mortgage interest directly impacts affordability, excluding it gives a better measure of inflation.

Inflation to me used to be the change in the cost of raw materials only, now it's everything.

Does this change mean now it's only some things?
GGG
Old 02-20-2024, 08:50 PM   #2058
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
I read today (sorry, can't find the article source now) that the BoC is likely to exclude mortgage interest (and its impact on overall inflation) as a factor in its future rate decisions. As you stated, mortgage interest will have an increasingly negative impact on overall inflation as over 2 million Canadians renew their mortgages at much higher rates in 2024/2025.
I'm not sure what good comes out of removing mortgage interest from CPI other than turning a blind eye on a bad situation.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:58 PM   #2059
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Slava. I’m not saying anything one way or another but I didn’t quite understand why we’re worried about the other half of the population coming up for renewal when others have managed to adapt. Further, I’m in Toronto and the prices are still out of whack. Even as a home owner for a few years things need to come down for sustainability purposes.

The first part yes. The second paragraph I frankly hope continues. Too many real estate investors need to be shaken out of the market.
How is the market there? I thought that prices had come down considerably over the past year or two there, but maybe it’s still a supply issue?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:32 AM   #2060
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is the market there? I thought that prices had come down considerably over the past year or two there, but maybe it’s still a supply issue?
I don’t have stats off hand, which would be useful, but I think you’re seeing a bifurcation in the market at this time. While all types have come down considerably, condos and towns have come down a lot more, while detached seem to have hit a floor for months now. You probably don’t have that twenty person bidding war at its peak, but there seems to be people getting what they want from their listed price with sometimes conditional offers being accepted. But generally there’s a sense in the air that this is the worst and in a few months the market will pick up again. So I’d estimate in the gta the average home is well over $1.1M when at its peak it may have been $1.4M. Still a huge chunk of our may goes towards the mortgage. Supply is definitely still an issue. Any new home builder offerings have crazy lineups for days before to snatch one.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: