Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2023, 08:14 AM   #2021
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
yes and no. He hired Canada and kept him for yet another season, effectively wasting another year of a QB on a rookie contract. And he was very much involved in the drafting of Pickett as well. He's an outstanding coach, no doubt - but he's also the reason for "that roster and starting QB".

It's a shame they are wasting the prime of Watt, Minkah and Highsmith as well as the last years of Heyward with Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada.
I don't think Canada is a very good OC but I'm not sure Andy Reid could make Pickett look like a quality NFL QB.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:55 AM   #2022
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Mike Tomlin is so underappreciated as a head coach. You give that roster and starting QB to 99% of head coaches and it's a 2-6 team.
Sort of. They've had a pillowy soft schedule. Other than wins against the Ravens and Browns, who both had their issues at the time, they haven't beat anyone with a winning record.

EDIT: That Browns game was also super windy and rainy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:02 AM   #2023
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Sort of. They've had a pillowy soft schedule. Other than wins against the Ravens and Browns, who both had their issues at the time, they haven't beat anyone with a winning record.

EDIT: That Browns game was also super windy and rainy.
It's hard to win in the NFL as the best teams have to maintain a high level or they can lose to anyone. Look at the Chiefs last weekend and I don't think the Steelers roster is that good overall to consider them much better than the soft opponents on their schedule.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #2024
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomlin is a great Monday-Saturday coach, he's one of the best at getting his teams ready week in and out. He's not very good as an in game coach, generally poor with clock management, too conservative at times etc...but he's why bottoming out isn't possible for the Steelers. They'll be stuck in 8-9/9-8 land until he goes.

And with Pickett, given how much leash Canada has gotten with Tomlin, he'll probably be their QB until his fifth year option is done. Especially if he can keep up his "CFL level QB first three quarters, HOF QB 4th quarter routine" going.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #2025
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think Canada is a very good OC but I'm not sure Andy Reid could make Pickett look like a quality NFL QB.
not sure. Pickett has huge flaws, but I think you can hide some of them with a good OC who knows how to scheme properly.

This is a really good (or depressing, as a Steelers fan) breakdown:

Pickett plays best when it's outside of their regular structure, so I do want to see him under a somewhat competent OC before I completely give up on him.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:34 AM   #2026
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you have to account for Matt Canada having to build his offense around Pickett and his strengths of which he has very few.

Im just surprised that other teams fans (GB, Chicago, New Orleans, ATL, etc) all choose to believe they have the wrong QB but Pittsburgh isnconvinced its all the OCs fault and without him things would he different?

Last edited by DropIt; 11-03-2023 at 09:37 AM.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #2027
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada was already there when they drafted Pickett, and the offense was a tire fire before that too. Roethlisberger was ####ing old, so that was the initial excuse. Now it's been two seasons of Pickett with no progress. I don't like Pickett at all (I hated the pick back then, and I desperately want him to prove me wrong ... but it hasn't happened), but that doesn't excuse Canada.

I want both of them gone, but I think you replace Canada first and see if another OC can get more out of Pickett. If not, you draft another QB.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:08 AM   #2028
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada was already there when they drafted Pickett, and the offense was a tire fire before that too. Roethlisberger was ####ing old, so that was the initial excuse. Now it's been two seasons of Pickett with no progress. I don't like Pickett at all (I hated the pick back then, and I desperately want him to prove me wrong ... but it hasn't happened), but that doesn't excuse Canada.

I want both of them gone, but I think you replace Canada first and see if another OC can get more out of Pickett. If not, you draft another QB.
The problem with Pickett is you don't even really see glimpses of a starting QB there. With other QBs that struggled in there first few years (Allen, Hurts, and Tua come to mind), there were enough flashes to keep developing them. I just haven't seen any of that with Pickett.

There were some egregious overthrows last night, and he just doesn't see the field well at all.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:13 AM   #2029
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem for the Steelers though is because they are locked into the 8-9/9-8 zone, it's gonna be hard to upgrade much on Pickett. Drafting between 18-22 every year means the price to move up is very steep, and there are generally more QB desperate teams in front of them. Can they afford a Cousins? Probably not. Trade for Dak? Sure, he's an upgrade over Pickett, but when cost is factored in it's a lateral move. So for now anyway they are pretty much stuck with Pickett.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #2030
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I so badly wish Matt Canada's last name was Pennsylvania. The Yinzers have hated every OC they have had since Ken Wisenhut. I guess when your coaches last 20 to 30 years they need to hate someone. Steelers have okay skill position guys, but their offensive line and QB are a bit sketchy and that's on the GM.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:12 AM   #2031
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

fair. Those are warts from the Colbert era though, as Khan only came in after the Pickett draft. And to his credit, he's been working to fix the OL by signing Seumalo and drafting Jones (who was really solid at RT yesterday, but will transition to LT starter soon enough). Still need long-term upgrades at C and RT for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The problem for the Steelers though is because they are locked into the 8-9/9-8 zone, it's gonna be hard to upgrade much on Pickett. Drafting between 18-22 every year means the price to move up is very steep, and there are generally more QB desperate teams in front of them. Can they afford a Cousins? Probably not. Trade for Dak? Sure, he's an upgrade over Pickett, but when cost is factored in it's a lateral move. So for now anyway they are pretty much stuck with Pickett.
I don't know. The Niners found a QB in the 7th round, and based on how Levis has started his NFL career, I'd gladly take him over Pickett too. Meanwhile, how many top 5 QBs have been busts? Baker, Darnold, Lance ... getting a QB early isn't a guarantee for success either. Steelers just took one in a horrible QB class.

Last edited by devo22; 11-03-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:57 PM   #2032
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Niners found a QB in the 7th round
Lately he's been making the kind of mistakes that even college QBs aren't supposed to make.

Still time for him to bust.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:53 PM   #2033
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Purdy holds the 49ers back, not sure if they found a QB or found a guy that Shannahan can get by with as long as everything goes right. Anytime Purdy needs to do anything to keep them in the game, let alone get them back in the game, he seems unable to do it.

If he were in Pittsburgh with Canada as his OC he would be a trainwreck.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #2034
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1720846106530078997
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:28 AM   #2035
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow! Well at least he won't be playing for a new contract against the Saints' leaky OL tomorrow...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #2036
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Great player but the Bears have so many other issues it makes no sense unless they are sure they will get the top 2 picks as well and go Williams and Harrison or something like that.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #2037
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's a massive overpay, but the Bears have so much cap space, it probably doesn't matter too much. Signing him also means they can franchise tag Jaylon Johnson now if they choose to do so.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:44 PM   #2038
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis demonstrated again this week that he will not let money influence how he operates his franchise.

The firings of head coach Josh McDaniels, general manager Dave Ziegler and some of the coaching staff will cost Davis approximately $85 million, league sources told ESPN.

Some of those costs will be defrayed by offset and mitigation, but the firings were, as one source described to ESPN, "an expensive move nonetheless."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ost-nearly-85m
Old 11-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #2039
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it's a massive overpay, but the Bears have so much cap space, it probably doesn't matter too much. Signing him also means they can franchise tag Jaylon Johnson now if they choose to do so.
Rashan Gary just signed 4 years for $107M. So I think its a pretty standard rate for a DLineman?

Also youre correct about the rest, the Bears had the most cap space going into this season, and I believe they were actually scheduled to have even more this year.

Bears needed a legit top talent on the defensive side of the ball, like a Roquan Smith for example
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:37 AM   #2040
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1721158629720559952