Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #2001
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Warren's email to her campaign.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/ElizabethWa...o_team_warren/

I wonder if her inability to do this in one-third the length was part of the problem?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #2002
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Another weird critique. If I'm addressing a group of people that were raising ~$20m per quarter for my election campaign, I'm not short-changing them on the letter explaining why it was all for naught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I just can't think of him without seeing this first. I'm sure many people can't as well.
It makes me feel old to know that there is a significant portion of the voting populous that probably doesn't even know about that.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-05-2020 at 12:00 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #2003
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That probably looks like 75/25 in a 2 person race. He'd get some, but barring some kind of event, he may well drop out after the 17th anyway.

The Florida numbers show why so many of us are skeptical of Bernie in a general election.
Based of this strategic shift he might not even make it to the 17th. Looks like all in on Michigan, so if he loses that you gotta think it's over.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1235626245473345538
Old 03-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #2004
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Based of this strategic shift he might not even make it to the 17th. Looks like all in on Michigan, so if he loses that you gotta think it's over.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1235626245473345538
he ain't winning Michigan against the guy who with Obama saved GM from bankruptcy
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #2005
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The problem is the Democrats are running against Trump, the guy. This should have been a normal election against a 2nd term President, but the Democrats are pouring the hearts out and the angry 70 year olds think this is their last and best chance to be President.

I'm going to use SCD's analogy from earlier. There are 1000 people shouting vitriol against Trump and are louder than the 5000 people whispering that things are ok.

To me, this election in November is simple question for all voters. It your day to day life better or worse than it was 4 years ago?

Here's an over/under. Will Biden get more or less votes than Hillary? Is there a voter who voted for Hillary who would not vote for Biden? Is there a voter who didn't vote for Hillary who would vote for Biden?
I just don't find the opportunist argument of "vote for me because you have to" all that compelling. As I see it strategic voting distorts the will of the people and it irks me. As for the electability argument you addressed:

Will Biden get more votes than Hilary did? ; I don't know but I think Biden represents the same establishment that voters rejected in 2016 and Biden has very apparent warts that Bernie doesn't have. I reject the notion that he is less electable.

Is there a voter who voted for Hillary who would not vote for Biden? Probably. Impossible to know empirically. I guess as you said it comes down to flawed assessment of relative prosperity. But I dont think that question is as simple as it seems.

Do we want more from our government or less? Can we abide the status quo or should we strive for dramatic reform. I think in the end I could toss in a Biden vote without overly repulsing myself but apathy is rampant. Is "in the same room with Obama and losing his marbles" really the right horse?

Last edited by doozwimp; 03-05-2020 at 03:57 PM.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #2006
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
I just don't find the opportunist argument of "vote for me because you have to" all that compelling. As I see it strategic voting distorts the will of the people and it irks me.
In most cases I may agree with you, but this election is different. Trump has shown blatant autocratic tendencies, has done all he can to undermine the system of checks & balances in the federal government, has transformed government agencies rampantly partisan entities, has made it clear that he will use emergency declarations to do anything he wants whenever congress won't fall in line, and has done everything he can to undermine and weaken NATO while cozying up to autocrats like Putin, Bolsonaro, Kim Jung Un, and Erdogan.

4 more years of Trump will result in huge, irreparable harm to the western world as we know it. This election is not one where America can afford to mess around with the possibility of re-electing this demagogue-in-chief. In order to be able to fight for a better future, you have to make sure that the damage done by administrations isn't so extensive that it sets you back decades, or in some ways, permanently! In this case, a 2nd Trump term could do more damage to the country (and the world!) than multiple terms of an FDR-style president could undo.

Joe Biden may have his flaws, but there's already evidence that he's further left than Hillary was 4 years ago. Bernie has successfully moved the party to the left. And to be honest, that's how progress happens in politics! It's not always about getting the "perfect" candidate elected, it's about how much the political landscape shifts due to grassroots campaigns, and then the politicians ultimately have to listen to the people (at least to a certain extent). Case in point, Hillary was once anti-gay-marriage, but shifted her position as the years went on.

All that being said, in 2020, the only available play for the progressive movement (assuming Bernie doesn't win the nomination) is to elect Biden to the WH, spend the next 4 years holding his feet to the fire, and campaign like hell for things like Medicare for All, $15/hr minimum wage, and cancelling student debt. The reason why Bernie isn't winning right now is because not enough of the American electorate agrees with his policies (and/or don't feel passionately enough about them to go to the polls and vote for him).
Old 03-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #2007
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all the next President does is restore the rule of law and democratic norms and absolutely nothing else he will still be without doubt the most important President of the last century.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #2008
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
he ain't winning Michigan against the guy who with Obama saved GM from bankruptcy
The governor endorsed biden as well

Plus polls from last month, a Quinnipiac one in late feb, said that sanders was 2nd choice for only 33% of warren supporters
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #2009
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isnt gonna look good for Bernie in the US

https://twitter.com/user/status/1235747172538126338
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #2010
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I just can't think of him without seeing this first. I'm sure many people can't as well.
The President of the United States is literally Donald Trump. The voting public seems to be able to get over weird crap they've done in the past. Not that acting in a forgettable SNL sketch is something to get over. .
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #2011
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1235808311834021888

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #2012
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stay in skool, kids.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #2013
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How??? How! How did not one person involved in that bit not understand basic math???
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #2014
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Wow is that embarrassing....and then they sit and pontificate about it like its really something that happened.

Unbelievable.

MSNBC has become a train wreck.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #2015
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

"Sorry everyone, minor math error. He could have given everyone $1.50, not $1,000,000.00"
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #2016
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

She's a member of the editorial board of the NY Times. The editorial board....

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #2017
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
She's a member of the editorial board of the NY Times. The editorial board....
That's not even remotely surprising.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #2018
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
"Sorry everyone, minor math error. He could have given everyone $1.50, not $1,000,000.00"
Thank God, I was listening to that piece while driving yesterday and thought maybe I was going senile because I couldn't work out where the million came from
Old 03-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #2019
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

What I find funny is that all the replies/comments to the tweet were calling out the bad math. So MSNBC either willfully ignored that or just didn't care.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #2020
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
What I find funny is that all the replies/comments to the tweet were calling out the bad math. So MSNBC either willfully ignored that or just didn't care.
She's now locked her Twitter to followers and added this to her profile:
Quote:
I know, I’m bad at math
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote