Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #2001
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that Fox and AP called Maine 2 for Trump but I'm not totally sure. I think everyone has called Nebraska 2 for Biden.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #2002
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lunchtime update. Things have slowed considerably.

Georgia
410,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 63% of them.
358,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 62% of them.

Michigan
1,590,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 60% of them.
453,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 47% of them.
340,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 45% of them.

North Carolina (Unchanged)
287,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 64% of them.

Pennsylvania
1,870,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 69% of them.
1,500,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 68% of them.
1,440,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 66% of them.

Wisconsin
650,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 60% of them.
102,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 40% of them.
Biden wins!

Nevada
194,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 49% of them.

Arizona (Likely already won by Biden)
450,000 votes outstanding. Biden needs 40% of them.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #2003
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goal of this lawsuit probably isn’t to win it. It’s to cast doubt on the process by saying their observers weren’t allowed in. So whether it’s true or not it’s already accomplished it’s purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #2004
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
also worth noting that Biden has already eclipsed Obamas record in total votes. He's close to 70 million votes now, more than anybody else in history.
It’s also worth noting (sorry for mentioning it again) that Trump could also get there. Which is insane to me after the worst audition in history.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #2005
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Do you think so? I think an alarming takeaway should be that Trump probably would have cruised to re-election if he had bothered to take COVID remotely seriously. He could have handled it like Trudeau, every day at 11:15am, have a press conference showing empathy. Instead he picked fights with Fauci et al.
COVID-19 should never have been a political issue. COVID-19 is a healthcare issue. But because Donald Trump has to be in the middle of everything he decided to make it a political issue and a public spectacle. Can't have the virus having better ratings than the president! So the president became the show again, instead of providing an avenue for capable leadership to manage and solve the problem. Donald Trump in a nutshell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #2006
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

MSNBC now concurs with CNN and calls Wisconsin, though they hedged and said he's the "Apparent winner".

I dunno, it's still a call, I think?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #2007
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
So a Democratic candidate just won the national popular vote for the 7th time out of the last 8 elections and is currently trending (hopefully this doesn't jinx it!) towards a victory in the Electoral College, but we're in this thread wringing our hands that the party is out of touch with the average American voter because the margin of victory wasn't big enough? Really?
I think the conversation is in that direction because the overwhelming sentiment was that this would be i) a landslide for Biden and ii) a repudiation of everything Trump and the GOP by extension have been over the last four years.

The fact that this election has not gone the way the majority of pollsters indicated signals a big disconnect between that expectation and reality.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #2008
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I disagree, the vast majority of people who support Trump weren't going to change their vote because of covid. Trumps approval rating didn't change much nor did the polls.

The fact that Trump was able to run a "normal" campaign and get people to vote in person surely helped him. There will be thousands of mail in votes not counted. Trumps hail mary legal challenge is 100% covid related due to mail in votes.
Do you think that some Democrats would have voted for Trump but then Covid was handled so poorly that they changed their minds? It's not possible to know, but surely the Democrats picked up votes based on that Covid "response".
Old 11-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #2009
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Even if that lawsuit goes anywhere (I doubt it will), with Biden already ahead in Michigan, how does that even help Trump? I get wanting to stop ballot counting in places where Biden is losing but could conceivably come back (PA, GA, NC), but not in places where Biden is ahead. What's the strategy here?
Old 11-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #2010
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Stressful day knowing that Trump 2020 is still a possibility?

I'm enjoying it. People are frothing at the mouth at the thought that Trump could still somehow win despite how awful he is.

There is more to this election than people voting for Trump because people are racist. Pigeonholing 65 million voters (a number double Canada's own population) to fit this narrative is why we are here contemplating what is wrong with America.
Well, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a Trump voter.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #2011
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
We should all just accept and understand that significant portions of the USA wants what Trump is selling. This is a different country with different core values.
I'm not sure if it's that simple. As has been said a lot of Americans (happens here too) are set in their ways and resort to party-line voting. Biden isn't an overly compelling alternative as well so if you are typically a Republican voter you have to really despise Trump because Biden is less compelling than Hillary. Also there's a lot of people that associate cancel culture with the left and that's a problem that's going to be hard to shake for a long time until we learn to better deal with people or groups that make mistakes past and present. The fact that Trump is using that in his campaign is telling of how much it resonates with voters. And of course some people actually buy what Trump sells.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #2012
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Even if that lawsuit goes anywhere (I doubt it will), with Biden already ahead in Michigan, how does that even help Trump? I get wanting to stop ballot counting in places where Biden is losing but could conceivably come back (PA, GA, NC), but not in places where Biden is ahead. What's the strategy here?
First, stop the ballot count (because the lead will only grow as they continue to count).

Then, demand a recount and begin challenging ballots for a variety of issues to try to get enough Democratic ballots thrown out to flip the state.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #2013
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The goal of this lawsuit probably isn’t to win it. It’s to cast doubt on the process by saying their observers weren’t allowed in. So whether it’s true or not it’s already accomplished it’s purpose.
"Please let us in. It's just me and my friends Shreddy and Lighter."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #2014
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
That attitude is why we are waiting for a president to be elected on the next day of what should have been a 'landslide loss' by reddit posters and the media after the worst president of all time still has a chance for re-election.

At some point you have to think back and understand what you are selling isn't working.
Maybe it doesn't matter what you try to sell if someone won't buy it anyways?

There could be a ton of single issue voters out there that don't care about anything but that one issue that means everything to them.

Could be guns. If they really think the Dems will take their guns away like Trump says, they vote red. If they are pro-life, they're voting red. If they only care about stopping all immigrants at the border they are voting red. If they don't care about the environment and just want to open up everything with no regulations for the sake of jobs, they're voting red. If they only care about having a conservative SCOTUS they are voting red. If they love their health care and think the Dems will take that away from them they're voting red. Just some examples.

A lot of those voters might actually agree with the Dems on a lot of other issues, but if that one issue they are passionate about the most leans red, that's where their vote is going.

And that's not even taking into consideration the conspiracy theories, the endless Trump lies, gerrymandering, the amount of voters that get their political info from places like Facebook and Fox.

That's why I say this isn't on the Dems (well, not entirely), this is on the voters. Unless the Dems start lying, peddling conspiracy theories, take over Facebook, or start moving right on a bunch of issues we're probably going to have more of the same for the foreseeable future. And I'm not saying the Dems can't do anything to sway some votes......they can. But as long as there are voters out there that only care about one issue and that issue is clearly red/right/conservative, it will be tough to dominate the electoral college.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #2015
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The system is intrinsically designed to benefit rural and southern Republicans. The electoral college and gerrymandering benefits them more than anyone else.

Republicans being disenfranchised is a hilarious notion.
Feelings don't care about your facts.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #2016
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Do you think that some Democrats would have voted for Trump but then Covid was handled so poorly that they changed their minds? It's not possible to know, but surely the Democrats picked up votes based on that Covid "response".
Some yes...I am also sure Trump picked up votes (and some traction for his nonsense due to covid)

Biden basically didn't campaign and they barely had a ground game
Old 11-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #2017
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think when you look at Florida passing a $15 minimum wage yet voting trump you can see the Democrat problem.

They need to be the party of the working man and working immigrant. If a $15 minimum wage passes the democrats should win that state. So you have the issue of the low income economic liberal socially conservative person finding comfort in the republicans positions on social issues so much to vote against self interest.

The democrats need to be the party of putting money and services in your pocket and that message was not effective in Florida
Isn't that largely because the Republicans ran a massive misinformation campaign which basically stated "putting money and services in your pocket" = Chavez/Castro style authoritarianism?

That's one narrative that is out there anyway.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #2018
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this shows the Democrats need to rethink their Presidential candidates. Biden was weak.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #2019
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Well, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a Trump voter.
This exact attitude is why states like Florida went red even if they still voted in further left ideas like a $15 minimum wage.

Trying to label all Trump supporters the same and putting them into a box isn't a bright move.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #2020
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Stressful day knowing that Trump 2020 is still a possibility?

I'm enjoying it. People are frothing at the mouth at the thought that Trump could still somehow win despite how awful he is.

There is more to this election than people voting for Trump because people are racist. Pigeonholing 65 million voters (a number double Canada's own population) to fit this narrative is why we are here contemplating what is wrong with America rather than celebrating a Democratic win.
Ah, le olde "if only Democrats were Republicans, the Republicans would vote for them" argument.
Closed Thread