Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #2001
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Omg someone mentioned the library again.

Do we all drink now?
I have to say that I'm fine with the library but I think it's also totally fair to not be fine with the library just as some aren't okay with funding for the arena. Never understood why it's not cool here to have an opinion either way on these issues.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #2002
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably because so many try to couch their opinion in some economic argument of dubious merit instead of just saying it's their opinion.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #2003
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A message from the Flames on this topic:

...we wanted to keep you apprised of recent information provided by the Project Manager, Calgary Municipal Land Corporation, pertaining to the Calgary Event Center:

“Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC), along with our partners at The City of Calgary, provided an update to Council at the April 13th closed meeting on the progress of the Event Centre. We started this project by developing principles and a program that would create a building that Calgarians would be proud to have in their city and over the past several months, the team has developed a design to reach that goal.”

“At this early stage in the project, there is a difference in the current budget estimate and the program requirements for the facility. Given the significance and importance of the project, the parties have jointly agreed to pause the project team to allow time to resolve these challenges. The decision to take this pause is the responsible and prudent approach to ensure we find the best solutions to move the project forward successfully, without incurring any additional costs on the project while these discussions progress. The team is working collaboratively to find a suitable path forward” - Kate Thompson, President and CEO, Calgary Municipal Land Corporation, CMLC.

We will keep you informed as more information is available.
Remember1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Remember1989 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #2004
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’d like to see this as an election issue, let the people decide. The CRL is a laughable bait and switch and this is going to cost big bucks at a time when our tax base is shrinking.

Has their ever been a poll on a taxpayer funded arena? I would bet it would be around 70-30 against the arena.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-14-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #2005
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Calgary, the can't do city.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #2006
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meanwhile Regina, REGINA of all places just built a brand new football stadium, has just proposed a new arena, and also have plans for a new minor baseball stadium! How is that possible? Our football stadium is dilapidated, our arena aging fast and unable to accommodate many shows, and our baseball stadium is abandoned and empty. Oh, and we still don’t have a field house after 50 years, not to mention Glenmore Park and Foothills Park are both dumps with aging and outdated infrastructure and facilities. While we are at it, let’s not forget that most, if not all, of our Olympic facilities are at the end of their lifespan (bobsled track), need Reno’s (oval), or about to be demolished (ski jump towers). Calgary is so far behind in sporting infrastructure it’s laughable.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #2007
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is now an election issue. If there was a vote the proposal would lose for sure. No differently than the Olympic bid.

So be it.

RIP Calgary Flames. I will cheer for the team for all time wherever they are from wherever I am.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #2008
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
This is now an election issue. If there was a vote the proposal would lose for sure. No differently than the Olympic bid.

So be it.

RIP Calgary Flames. I will cheer for the team for all time wherever they are from wherever I am.
I hope Farkas doesn't use it to get elected. He sucks.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #2009
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Meanwhile Regina, REGINA of all places just built a brand new football stadium, has just proposed a new arena, and also have plans for a new minor baseball stadium! How is that possible? Our football stadium is dilapidated, our arena aging fast and unable to accommodate many shows, and our baseball stadium is abandoned and empty. Oh, and we still don’t have a field house after 50 years, not to mention Glenmore Park and Foothills Park are both dumps with aging and outdated infrastructure and facilities. While we are at it, let’s not forget that most, if not all, of our Olympic facilities are at the end of their lifespan (bobsled track), need Reno’s (oval), or about to be demolished (ski jump towers). Calgary is so far behind in sporting infrastructure it’s laughable.
Because our property tax is half as much, and people still argue that it is too high.

City of Calgary Rate: ​0.0047795
City of Regina Rate: 0.00912132
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #2010
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Calgary, the can't do city.
It truly feels like it could be becoming that now. I'm trying to think of what major things has happened while this council has been in place since Oct 2018 I believe? Come this fall, there may be nothing major except for BMO (is that even going with the prices of material right now?) that has started up construction. Green Line delayed, this delayed, what's next?

It's a bad trend that can easily become worse and hard to reverse from.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #2011
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/cs...urce-1.5387513

Quote:
There is no official statement about what the differences could be, but a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations, who is not permitted to speak publicly about the details, tells CTV News that the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (CSEC) requested:

An additional $70 million
The CMLC removed as a project manager
More land allocated for the project
Control over traffic around the new rink
New mayor and council this year, CSEC might as well hold out and wait for a more billionaire friendly municipal government.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #2012
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I feel so lucky, so fortunate to be living in this garbage city with a garbage climate run by garbage politicians who sit on council because they aren't qualified to do anything else.

I am so angry about this I can't even speak.
Ha ha ha
Thank you, I chocked on my water reading this.

An arena would of mitigated any of those concerns you have?

"World Class City"?

If its any help, I have no doubt there is little reason for me to be gleeful about the arena news beyond that it might get delayed. As I previously wrote, it will get built, and unfortunately for me, I think it will get built with a large amount of public money.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #2013
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
Because our property tax is half as much, and people still argue that it is too high.

City of Calgary Rate: ​0.0047795
City of Regina Rate: 0.00912132
A mill rate doesn't equal a taxation level on property is half as much. It's one part of the whole equation which is three parts.

I'm sure in Regina there isn't anywhere near the number of commercial and residential properties and the values are substantially lower.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #2014
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to say that I'm fine with the library but I think it's also totally fair to not be fine with the library just as some aren't okay with funding for the arena. Never understood why it's not cool here to have an opinion either way on these issues.
Who the heck said you couldn't have an opinion?

People providing counter points and different perspective isn't saying you can't have an opinion.

Did you just make this up for fake outrage to imply the pro-arena side is being oppressed in their views? This forum is pretty pro-arena, I think its the majority no?

Last edited by Mull; 04-14-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #2015
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Ha ha ha
Thank you, I chocked on my water reading this.

An arena would of mitigated any of those concerns you have?

"World Class City"?

If its any help, I have no doubt there is little reason for me to be gleeful about the arena news beyond that it might get delayed. As I previously wrote, it will get built, and unfortunately for me, I think it will get built with a large amount of public money.
It's been a while since I looked at the deal structure but as a season ticket holder I am certainly prepared to pay additional user or license fees.

In a perfect world there would be no public funds involved but that kind of deal is not practical here.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #2016
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Man, I missed when Regina passed us as a world class city. It wasn’t in the news
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #2017
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's been a while since I looked at the deal structure but as a season ticket holder I am certainly prepared to pay additional user or license fees.

In a perfect world there would be no public funds involved but that kind of deal is not practical here.
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/big-fo...greements.html

Scroll down to the table. Hard to paste here with formatting.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #2018
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No rush by this City. Ring Road was originally discussed since 1973 with original Provincial input by securing land planning in 1974. Nothing happens until 2010 so 40 years seems like a good planning time for anything this city does.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #2019
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
A mill rate doesn't equal a taxation level on property is half as much. It's one part of the whole equation which is three parts.

I'm sure in Regina there isn't anywhere near the number of commercial and residential properties and the values are substantially lower.
Mill rate is a fair way to compare tax rates... Yes there is more than that but it is a simple and quick comparison, yes houses are cheaper in Regina but also the cost of delivering services would be cheaper (Employee Wages would be lower) in Regina.

If you own a $500,000 in Calgary you would pay 2,389.75 a year
If you own a $500,000 in Regina you would pay 4,557.60 a year
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #2020
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
Mill rate is a fair way to compare tax rates... Yes there is more than that but it is a simple and quick comparison, yes houses are cheaper in Regina but also the cost of delivering services would be cheaper (Employee Wages would be lower) in Regina.

If you own a $500,000 in Calgary you would pay 2,389.75 a year
If you own a $500,000 in Regina you would pay 4,557.60 a year
I think what Calgarywining is saying, sure, we pay less but that isn't clearly correlated to Regina building an arena, we have larger downtown district subsidizing our residential rates- its too murky and grey to make a general sweeping statement without detailed analysis, and mill rate doesn't provide that context.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post: