Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2024, 09:30 AM   #20001
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Just a follow up.

It was indeed smoke around Noah last night. I’m told yesterday flames received the answer they’re awaiting from his camp. From what I’ve heard it’s not an extension with Calgary but only one source is providing me with this information. Multiple teams are very interested, Calgary up until this point wasn’t stoking the flames for a trade but according to the same source this may have changed late yesterday evening.

One name to follow is Andrew Mangiapane…
Deeply appreciate when you share this stuff SEC, as a rumour degenerate this keeps the doldrums away.

Not surprised to hear that Mangiapane is out there, has lost his mojo a little but could really turn it around elsewhere. From my memory he's a killer playoff performer.
Flames67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:32 AM   #20002
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think if you remove Toffoli, Lindholm, Zadorov, Hanifin, Tanev and Markstrom you don't have to tank.

Just show up and play the games.

But keeping Markstrom is a wild card that could mean the difference between being 9th and 11th in the draft order.
I don't think Markstrom has won them too many games they didn't deserve to win anyway. He kept them close in some losses they deserved to lose bigger. So if that continues they will be fine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:35 AM   #20003
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think if you remove Toffoli, Lindholm, Zadorov, Hanifin, Tanev and Markstrom you don't have to tank.

Just show up and play the games.

But keeping Markstrom is a wild card that could mean the difference between being 9th and 11th in the draft order.
We're saying the same thing - by tank, I literally meant trade Markstrom and Hanifin.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 09:39 AM   #20004
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think Markstrom has won them too many games they didn't deserve to win anyway. He kept them close in some losses they deserved to lose bigger. So if that continues they will be fine.
You can probably assume almost half of the third period comebacks do not happen without Markstrom. A lot of those games he played quite well in the first 40 before the team found their legs. I would agree with Bingo and Enoch, trading Markstrom and going with Vladar and Wolf almost guarantees a top 10 pick.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:41 AM   #20005
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In a cap world where teams are struggling with space I find it hard to see a scenario where Mangi has any trade value or a suitor to take on 5.8 this season and next?

Obviously there are money in money out scenarios, but I'm not sure I see the point unless its for a contract coming to an end that we could flip?

Mangipane 5.8(minor retention) for Bertuzzi 5.5, then flip Bertuzzi?
Dude Where's Makar? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:54 AM   #20006
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
But he's almost their best player every game.

Since he came back from his most recent injury he's prevented 13.7 goals more than he was expected in 14 games.

That's a goal a game and a huge impact on the team's performance.

Wolf has given up 0.24 goals per game more than he should in that time period, Wolf 1.23 more per game (only 3 games)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 09:56 AM   #20007
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
You can probably assume almost half of the third period comebacks do not happen without Markstrom. A lot of those games he played quite well in the first 40 before the team found their legs. I would agree with Bingo and Enoch, trading Markstrom and going with Vladar and Wolf almost guarantees a top 10 pick.
Well sure, it would be an 80s Pittsburgh situation. But I'm not sure I want Wolf thrown to the wolves like that.

I'm also very reluctant to pressure Markstrom about a trade. If it's offered, and he says OK, fine. But I just know the NMC was very important to him and not from a "I want control" standpoint, but from a "I don't want to move" standpoint.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #20008
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Hanifin goes to NJ for Mercer+, then Connie turns to Tre, looks him directly in the eye, and says:

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 10:30 AM   #20009
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a lot of crap goaltenders the Flames can pick up if they trade Markstrom.

Like... David Rittich!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:34 AM   #20010
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If Hanifin is on his way out and the best offer is anything less than a 1st round pick for Tanev, I hope they just re-sign Tanev instead.

Still lots of haul left to get, and could easily retain on Mangiapane to make him easier to move, so I really think this may be a case of the value Tanev brings to a young team being greater than the value we get back in a trade.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #20011
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This.

I hate tanking, but next year is the one year where they really need to.

If the Flames finish 11-20, the Habs get the Flames pick. If the Flames finish bottom 10, the Habs get the FLA pick. HUGE difference - if the Flames don't get into the top 10, our pick next year will be in the 20-32 range.

Tank next year, get atop 10 pick, then get back to the business of trying to be good.
If Florida finishes bottom than the Habs get Calgary's pick unless it is 1st overall.

It might be better to wait to trade Markstrom in the offseason if the Panthers have trouble keeping their UFAs.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:36 AM   #20012
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well sure, it would be an 80s Pittsburgh situation. But I'm not sure I want Wolf thrown to the wolves like that.

I'm also very reluctant to pressure Markstrom about a trade. If it's offered, and he says OK, fine. But I just know the NMC was very important to him and not from a "I want control" standpoint, but from a "I don't want to move" standpoint.
I agree with you on throwing Wolf (and quite frankly all the young players) to the wolves without Markstrom. That is why I am in the keep him unless you are absolutely blown away camp. If you got an absolute haul for him and you did well with Hanifin and Tanev you could have a bunch of room next year and maybe sign a guy like Talbot to a one year deal to keep the team competitive. Not sure having that pressure on Wolf is a good thing in his rookie year, from his development perspective I think it is better to keep Markstrom through the next deadline and have him learn from a pro for a season (assuming the Flames get rid of Vladar).
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:39 AM   #20013
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
There's a lot of crap goaltenders the Flames can pick up if they trade Markstrom.

Like... David Rittich!
It's crazy that both Brossoit and Rittich are among the league leaders in sv% this year. Talbot was doing great for a spell too, but he came back down to earth.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:44 AM   #20014
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If Hanifin is on his way out and the best offer is anything less than a 1st round pick for Tanev, I hope they just re-sign Tanev instead.

Still lots of haul left to get, and could easily retain on Mangiapane to make him easier to move, so I really think this may be a case of the value Tanev brings to a young team being greater than the value we get back in a trade.
Yeah but does Tanev want to sign an extension? I'm not sure he would.

He probably wants to win a Stanley Cup, so the only way he stays is if the Flames pay way over market value and that's not a good idea.

If the best offer you get for Tanev is a 2nd round pick at the deadline, then you just take it. He's not going to sign a market value extension here.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:48 AM   #20015
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yeah but does Tanev want to sign an extension? I'm not sure he would.

He probably wants to win a Stanley Cup, so the only way he stays is if the Flames pay way over market value and that's not a good idea.

If the best offer you get for Tanev is a 2nd round pick at the deadline, then you just take it. He's not going to sign a market value extension here.
I'm pretty sure Tanev will be available in the offseason for the same extension. He might not have even relocated which would assist in the bidding war if there are othere teams interested.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:49 AM   #20016
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like breadman has an 8 team NTC list, so that is reasonably easy to work around.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:51 AM   #20017
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Looks like breadman has an 8 team NTC list, so that is reasonably easy to work around.
Pretty sure he wants to leave
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:53 AM   #20018
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marek with a long segment on Tampa, and their need for defense is front and center, with the sergechev injury. I would do Huuhtanen and a 2nd for tanev.

He's RH RW putting up almost a point a game in liiga. He's big and he hits. Easy long term rw in the bottom 9, and he was a late pick, so found money for them.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:55 AM   #20019
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
It's crazy that both Brossoit and Rittich are among the league leaders in sv% this year. Talbot was doing great for a spell too, but he came back down to earth.
Rittich seems to either play lights out or terribly, based on his 11 games played.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:56 AM   #20020
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Marek with a long segment on Tampa, and their need for defense is front and center, with the sergechev injury. I would do Huuhtanen and a 2nd for tanev.

He's RH RW putting up almost a point a game in liiga. He's big and he hits. Easy long term rw in the bottom 9, and he was a late pick, so found money for them.
Taken in the 7th round?!?! Holy cow, that's a win for their scouting dept. On par with some of Calgary's. Kuzmenko, Coronato and this cat down the right side would look pretty sweet.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post: