Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #1981
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking for feedback on Sumitomos. Anyone with any experience with them? Seem to have good reviews at an economical price. Maybe they wear quickly?

They also include a tread warranty for the first 2/32" of wear - seems low to me especially versus other warranties which state 60,000km, for example.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #1982
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am about to get my winters on this weekend, and I have shopped around and find some shop can do it for cheap. But they ask me if I just want to put the tires on or if I want to do a tire balancing as well for extra charge.

For a mechanic novice like me, what does a tire balancing do? Is it necessary? My winters are on their own rims so it will just be a straight take off the summers and slap on the winters...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:21 PM   #1983
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am about to get my winters on this weekend, and I have shopped around and find some shop can do it for cheap. But they ask me if I just want to put the tires on or if I want to do a tire balancing as well for extra charge.

For a mechanic novice like me, what does a tire balancing do? Is it necessary? My winters are on their own rims so it will just be a straight take off the summers and slap on the winters...
Yes tires need to be balanced, winter tires especially. Not only can an unbalanced tire cause vibrations when driving it can also cause uneven tires wear and tread separation. I balance my tires every swap and will even get it done it I hit a huge pot hole or notice slight vibrations or steering wheel shimmy.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 AM   #1984
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Balancing tires when doing a swap is completely unnecessary nothing magic happens when you take tires off the car and suddenly they are no longer balanced. If you are hitting "huge pot holes" and throwing the balance off then either some weights fell off or you damaged your wheels. Or maybe you bought Chinese tires at Walmart.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #1985
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Balancing tires when doing a swap is completely unnecessary nothing magic happens when you take tires off the car and suddenly they are no longer balanced. If you are hitting "huge pot holes" and throwing the balance off then either some weights fell off or you damaged your wheels. Or maybe you bought Chinese tires at Walmart.
Tires wear, as they wear weight changes as weight changes the balance changes. This isn’t something magic happening. If a tire is over inflated or under inflated it can lead to uneven wear which can also unbalance a tire.

You did hit the pot hole comment right on the head, impacts can cause weights to fall off and like you said unbalance the tire. I don’t keep a journal of the weight placement so if one falls off I wouldn’t have a clue. I regularly drive through Edmonton for work and their roads are next level for pot holes. E=NG

Assuming you keep up on maintenance and your car is in alignment, tire wear is relatively even, you have kept away from curbs, your suspension isn’t showing variance and you are on top of your rotations and inflation levels then you shouldn’t need to balance your tires. Most dealers now offer free balancing and rotation as part of your regular maintenance, mine is free so I have never had to pay. I imagine if I did I wouldn’t do it as often as I do.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #1986
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cochrane Toyota is beating any advertised price by 5% on winter tires.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #1987
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you had no vibration or cause to believe your wheels weren’t balanced right before you took them off, there is no need to have them redone. Truly.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #1988
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live 6 hours north of a major city. The roads are often in bad shape. This year, I got rid of my Chevrolet Equinox AWD and got a Honda Civic (best vehicle decision I ever made) Having just endured the worst conditions today that I've ever driven in, for 6 hours no less, my civic with its blizzak winter tires was just as good as my AWD equinox with the same blizzak tires. I didn't lose traction or grip a single time. It's all about the winter tires.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #1989
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I live 6 hours north of a major city. The roads are often in bad shape. This year, I got rid of my Chevrolet Equinox AWD and got a Honda Civic (best vehicle decision I ever made) Having just endured the worst conditions today that I've ever driven in, for 6 hours no less, my civic with its blizzak winter tires was just as good as my AWD equinox with the same blizzak tires. I didn't lose traction or grip a single time. It's all about the winter tires.
Nice. There's a reason the saying "where the rubber meets the road" exists, and in its literal sense it's more true than ever. I still maintain that tires are one of, if not the single most important thing you can buy for your vehicle and you get what you pay for.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #1990
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

After seven years, I think I have to get my winter tires rebalanced.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #1991
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
After seven years, I think I have to get my winter tires rebalanced.
After 7 years, it's time for new tires.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #1992
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say, as much as my Xice3s were disappointing in the warmer / wetter snowpocalypse we got earlier last month, on this colder hardpack that's on the side streets, they're performing shockingly well. Stuff might as well be pavement.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #1993
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post

I hope he means the steel rims and have changed the rubber out since.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #1994
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gotta say, as much as my Xice3s were disappointing in the warmer / wetter snowpocalypse we got earlier last month, on this colder hardpack that's on the side streets, they're performing shockingly well. Stuff might as well be pavement.
We put the Latitude XI2s on our X3, they've been amazing in limited duty.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #1995
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got a call today and my rims are in, so I'm ready to get them put on. Kind of excited as I bought alloys as well. Steelies are too ugly for me.

These are going on our family car (mini-van!) which is my wife's daily driver with the kids.

Excited to hopefully hear about a big difference. Would suck to spend all this money to have a change be unnoticeable.

Maybe I should take it to an empty parking lot during the next storm and try some Fast N Furious style drifts....
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #1996
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Maybe I should take it to an empty parking lot during the next storm and try some Fast N Furious style drifts....
You should do that anyhow, so that you know what it feels like when your car slides around on you and aren't experiencing it for the first time an emergency. IMO, anyhow.

Just got the call...my car's got her winter boots on, and is ready to be picked up!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #1997
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just put goodyear assurance weatherready tires on my front wheel drive maxima. They are 'all weather' with the snowflake. Seem good so far. Goodyear has $120 rebate.

Prob not quite as good on ice as true winters but no complaints in this compacted snow. No worries as 4x4 and suv both have full winters if the roads are too bad.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #1998
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
You should do that anyhow, so that you know what it feels like when your car slides around on you and aren't experiencing it for the first time an emergency. IMO, anyhow.

Just got the call...my car's got her winter boots on, and is ready to be picked up!
You wont give me a stunting ticket if you bust me, will you? Although it would be kind of funny explaining to my wife/kids I got a stunting ticket in the van.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #1999
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I'm just above the 50% mark on them. I don't drive a lot. I do my own tire changes and inspect them every season.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #2000
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
You wont give me a stunting ticket if you bust me, will you? Although it would be kind of funny explaining to my wife/kids I got a stunting ticket in the van.
If someone is around to catch you doing it, it's not late enough at night. ;P
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: