Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 02:48 PM   #1981
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Chrono24 is 100% safe.

In my experience, Chrono24 listings are generally about 10-15% higher than most other online dealers, so you should consider shopping around. Or...

You mention saving 30% over buying in Calgary, but have you tried negotiating with the locals? I only say this because some people don't realize, but you can - and should - haggle the #### out of a watch purchase. As a local business owner yourself, I'm sure you can appreciate the concept of at least giving the local bricks and mortar a shot... I'd be completely open, even show them the listing(s) online and give them an opportunity. Don't forget that there will be duty and taxes on an Omega purchased from a US dealer.
Oh yeah, already fired off an email to the local shop asking if there was wiggle room. I'm optimistic I can keep this local. Definitely makes it simpler to do so.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #1982
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh yeah, already fired off an email to the local shop asking if there was wiggle room. I'm optimistic I can keep this local. Definitely makes it simpler to do so.
It's definitely nice being able to build a relationship, walk in for service, etc, etc... I know not all watches are the same, but in different times, I recall saving ~30% off the list & online prices at Brinkhaus, so it's worth a shot.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #1983
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It's definitely nice being able to build a relationship, walk in for service, etc, etc... I know not all watches are the same, but in different times, I recall saving ~30% off the list & online prices at Brinkhaus, so it's worth a shot.
Oh wow. If they come down that much I'll buy it today. We'll see. I did send them the link to the ones I found online.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:15 PM   #1984
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, so is it 100% safe to buy from chrono24? I found an Omega on there - brand new, never worn, and from a dealer with positive feedback. I'd be saving about 30% versus buying in Calgary. The dealer is in the USA. I've tried it on in town, so I know it fits right. I'd be looking at this as my last watch purchase to give me my perfect four-watch collection. After this, I'd unsub to all watch YouTube videos, unsub from all the Reddit watch subs, etc. That is to say, it'd be my big (and last) one, so I don't want to #### this up.
If you buy from overseas dealers on Chrono24 - there's also a high chance you will get dinged by customs and import duty and taxes too on top of the shipping right?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #1985
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I remember getting 30% off my Speedy at an Omega AD as well...but I think those days are long gone. It's still no Rolex though, so it can't hurt to ask.

I know you're looking for something new, and you said this is it after this purchase (famous last words?), but if you're ever looking for a vintage Omega, https://www.omegaenthusiastltd.com has some pretty cool stuff. Canadian too, so no duty.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #1986
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, I remember getting 30% off my Speedy at an Omega AD as well...but I think those days are long gone. It's still no Rolex though, so it can't hurt to ask.

I know you're looking for something new, and you said this is it after this purchase (famous last words?), but if you're ever looking for a vintage Omega, https://www.omegaenthusiastltd.com has some pretty cool stuff, and is Canadian, so no duty to worry about.
I actually have no problem whatsoever with used. I'll check that out right now.

Btw, watch I'm looking at is a speedmaster panda chrono white dial if anybody has one they want to sell.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:22 PM   #1987
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

I know you're looking for something new, and you said this is it after this purchase (famous last words?), but if you're ever looking for a vintage Omega, https://www.omegaenthusiastltd.com has some pretty cool stuff. Canadian too, so no duty.
Hmm, not one single Speedmaster on that whole site. Weird.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:32 PM   #1988
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If you buy from overseas dealers on Chrono24 - there's also a high chance you will get dinged by customs and import duty and taxes too on top of the shipping right?
Not just overseas dealers, but any dealer outside of Canada.

It's not the location of the seller that triggers the duty; it's the origin of the product / watch.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #1989
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, not one single Speedmaster on that whole site. Weird.
It's more Mad Men vintage than Moonwatch vintage.

If you're ok with private watch sales, http://watchrecon.com is a great aggregator. I see a couple of pandas on there now.

Last edited by Table 5; 05-23-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #1990
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually have no problem whatsoever with used. I'll check that out right now.

Btw, watch I'm looking at is a speedmaster panda chrono white dial if anybody has one they want to sell.
The Tokyo Olympics one?
Or the automatic, reduced?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:02 PM   #1991
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The Tokyo Olympics one?
Or the automatic, reduced?
This exact one, although I may get the black leather strap.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...32930445104001

It's not small, but I have an 8" wrist and huge hands. It doesn't look goofy on me or anything.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:25 PM   #1992
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This exact one, although I may get the black leather strap.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...32930445104001

It's not small, but I have an 8" wrist and huge hands. It doesn't look goofy on me or anything.
Nice, forgot about the racing ones.
The reason you're seeing good discounts is that it's too big for most wrists.
But sounds like that's good for you, so sweet deal.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM   #1993
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, other than my Garmin Fenix 5X wasn't really into watches, but now have inherited 2 watches that have piqued my interest - nothing too crazy, but I do like them:

1. Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date Auto
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ca/...date-auto.html

2. Frederique Constant Classics Index Automatic Watch
https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch...c/fc-303mc5b4/

Any thoughts on either of these welcomed and appreciated.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:02 AM   #1994
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Nice, forgot about the racing ones.
The reason you're seeing good discounts is that it's too big for most wrists.
But sounds like that's good for you, so sweet deal.
There's a 44.5 mm? Hmm, maybe I should seek one or to try.

I think I tried a 42 mm (never saw size specs but she said it was bigger than the 40 mm). I liked it, but I wished it was slightly larger. The duty free lady was livid when my wife wandered over and commented how the watch looked small on my wrist. Must be the way it curves or contours or something. But also, I'm used to and love the size of the Hamilton Khaki Pilot that's 46mm.

The duty free lady was weird. I asked if I could look at one or two and was honest about window shopping while waiting for my flight. I even pointed at the Khaki Pilot in the Hamilton display case as the watch I had recently purchased as a daily driver back home. She then got weirdly excited to get me to try stuff over two dozen Tags, Breitling, Mont Blanc and Omegas. I didn't mind at first, but it got weird when she started saying my wife didn't know watches with the small Speedy comment. My wife only semi sarcastically said that because she refused to let me see the Deville I actually wanted to see and started pulling out Seamasters, Speedmasters and other high ticket watches for me to try on. She literally was putting watches on my left and right wrists.

I think this experience made me change my mind for my grail. I thought I wanted a VC, but I don't know what it'll be anymore. I think I'll know when I see it though.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-24-2023 at 04:05 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #1995
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Well, other than my Garmin Fenix 5X wasn't really into watches, but now have inherited 2 watches that have piqued my interest - nothing too crazy, but I do like them:

I have a Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual and love it. I find the strap a bit small and have just been procrastinating on upgrading it. But the quality and price point I feel are good value. I just took a look at what my watch cost though and jesus H they've about doubled, mine is 3-1/2yo.

https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch...ar/fc-775g4s6/
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:00 PM   #1996
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

Those are some nice dress watches to cycle through. The nice thing about them is that they feel refreshing after wearing an activity tracker. Something you can just look and appreciate rather than something you constantly look at monitor your stats or notifications and stuff.

For an additional variation, that Jazzmaster would look quite nice with a Nato strap on it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 01:06 PM   #1997
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Chrono24 is 100% safe.

In my experience, Chrono24 listings are generally about 10-15% higher than most other online dealers, so you should consider shopping around. Or...

You mention saving 30% over buying in Calgary, but have you tried negotiating with the locals? I only say this because some people don't realize, but you can - and should - haggle the #### out of a watch purchase. As a local business owner yourself, I'm sure you can appreciate the concept of at least giving the local bricks and mortar a shot... I'd be completely open, even show them the listing(s) online and give them an opportunity. Don't forget that there will be duty and taxes on an Omega purchased from a US dealer.
JFC, so I pulled the trigger last night on a used Omega Speedmaster Racing white-dial panda on Chrono24. Mint condition and about $4k less than new and it's a 2023 model.

Anyway, Chrono24 proceeded to double charge me and then cancelled the order this morning because they were concerned my credit card was stolen. So they want me to wire them the money. Well, I think I'd like to see both refunds show up before I send you even more. They thought it was reasonable to have me pay three times for one watch...wtf? So now I get to keep an eye on my CC in the hopes both transactions are wiped out over the next few days and I don't even get the watch I wanted. Talk about annoying.

I've talked to the seller (a shop in California with stellar reviews) and the guy was super nice and talked to Chrono24 for me. They still want a wire transfer even with him going to bat for me. Might just say fuuck it for now because it kind of took the fun out of things for me.

Local shop was only able to come down about 5%...not enough to be really enticing, but I do understand the market right now so am not bothered that it isn't a better deal.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:12 PM   #1998
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to do a wire transfer when I bought my Breitling out of Spain. No biggie, just do it once the refunds are correctly processed and enjoy your watch.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #1999
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I had to do a wire transfer when I bought my Breitling out of Spain. No biggie, just do it once the refunds are correctly processed and enjoy your watch.
Yeah? Okay, glad to hear it's not totally off the wall.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #2000
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
JFC, so I pulled the trigger last night on a used Omega Speedmaster Racing white-dial panda on Chrono24. Mint condition and about $4k less than new and it's a 2023 model.

Anyway, Chrono24 proceeded to double charge me and then cancelled the order this morning because they were concerned my credit card was stolen. So they want me to wire them the money. Well, I think I'd like to see both refunds show up before I send you even more. They thought it was reasonable to have me pay three times for one watch...wtf? So now I get to keep an eye on my CC in the hopes both transactions are wiped out over the next few days and I don't even get the watch I wanted. Talk about annoying.

I've talked to the seller (a shop in California with stellar reviews) and the guy was super nice and talked to Chrono24 for me. They still want a wire transfer even with him going to bat for me. Might just say fuuck it for now because it kind of took the fun out of things for me.

Local shop was only able to come down about 5%...not enough to be really enticing, but I do understand the market right now so am not bothered that it isn't a better deal.
Where did you go locally for Omega?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote