Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 12:53 PM   #1981
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Guess it all comes down to the 200 feet of ice, and who you see as a driver.

Backlund has been a consistent line driver who puts up 40 points a season and has intangibles out the wazoo.

Last year 39 points - check
2nd on the team in xGF% behind linemate Coleman - check

Now Mangiapane is good too ... play driving wise, but he also plays with Backlund.

I usually defend Mangiapane to the people that pile on, but Backlund has always elevated players he's played with, and I'm not sure that's the case with Mangiapane.

I don't see anything in Backlund's season that's disappointing at all. A point under his checkmark production, but now in his mid 40s is a solid season from a vet.

This.

Backlund is >>>>>> Mang in every single metric. The only think Mangipane has going is his shot (I guess) and the fact that he falls down 47 times a game.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:30 PM   #1982
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Cap is going up next season, maybe some teams don't use it all.

Is retention used a lot in offseason trades, or it more of a in season tool?
Much more frequent at the deadline. Outside of deals like the Sharks trading Burns and Karlsson with multi year retention there have not been many. The Preds ate 50% on Johanssen to off him, but again that was a multi year retention too. Can't think of any full season pending UFA players dealt where salary was retained for a one year duration.

Maybe if you can find a similar overpaid defenceman where contracts can be matched with Mangiapane or close there could be a deal to make.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:36 PM   #1983
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Colorado is gonna get Mangiapane, he's going to be very good, and then people are going to be wondering why Colorado is so good consistently.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:39 PM   #1984
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane may not have asked for a trade, but the fact he thinks a change of scenery is an option tells me he's not totally keen on staying either.

And I'm really happy to see the Flames possibly oblige him on that idea. This group of players if very winger heavy and we have too many mouths to feed and not enough plates. And he eats a lot more than the other wingers.

My ideal offseason? Offloading Markstrom and Mangiapane, signing key pending free agents (Shilly cough cough). Adding a Center and calling it an offseason.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:54 PM   #1985
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Mangiapane may not have asked for a trade, but the fact he thinks a change of scenery is an option tells me he's not totally keen on staying either.

And I'm really happy to see the Flames possibly oblige him on that idea. This group of players if very winger heavy and we have too many mouths to feed and not enough plates. And he eats a lot more than the other wingers.

My ideal offseason? Offloading Markstrom and Mangiapane, signing key pending free agents (Shilly cough cough). Adding a Center and calling it an offseason.
Why add a centre?

Kadri -> Zary -> Backlund -> Rooney

That looks good to me!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:56 PM   #1986
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Colorado is gonna get Mangiapane, he's going to be very good, and then people are going to be wondering why Colorado is so good consistently.
I don't think Colorado can take on any cap.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:57 PM   #1987
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane leaving will only hurt the whole "eat bread" comments. He's been inconsequential to the Flames success, or lack there of. Get an asset at this point. Problem being is other teams are going to look at that contract value and give very little for him. He's a risk to take on IMO. He could return to his career high level, or he could be a $5.8M player who spends most of his shift on his knees or on his ass. Not a player teams will be beating the door down for.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:59 PM   #1988
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Mangiapane leaving will only hurt the whole "eat bread" comments. He's been inconsequential to the Flames success, or lack there of. Get an asset at this point. Problem being is other teams are going to look at that contract value and give very little for him. He's a risk to take on IMO. He could return to his career high level, or he could be a $5.8M player who spends most of his shift on his knees or on his ass. Not a player teams will be beating the door down for.
That is why I think he is a deadline traded for cheap
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:02 PM   #1989
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
That is why I think he is a deadline traded for cheap
Probably right. Traded with retention for a 2nd or a 3rd at his current state of play.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:07 PM   #1990
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 2nd for Mangiapane would be great.

His metrics don't match the eye test, he just doesn't seem like someone who is doing anything on the ice.

Give him credit he turned a hot streak into $17 million.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:25 PM   #1991
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, Mang earned that contract by driving the net and going to the hard areas

We haven’t seen that player in a couple of years

Good on him for cashing in and also investing in the new hairline while he had the disposable income
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 04:44 PM   #1992
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn’t trade Mange this off season, let him play upcoming season and trade him at trade deadline. Players always seem to have a strong season on contract year. Be more attractive TD next year, eat some dollars for better assets
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:05 PM   #1993
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
I wouldn’t trade Mange this off season, let him play upcoming season and trade him at trade deadline. Players always seem to have a strong season on contract year. Be more attractive TD next year, eat some dollars for better assets
Elias Lindholm says hi.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:17 PM   #1994
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Elias Lindholm says hi.
Hanifin and Reinhart say hi back. This could go either way. It'd be different if Mange came off a strong season, but he came off a stinker. Right now, I can't imagine him having that much trade value.

What's the risk in keeping him till the trade deadline? At worst, he fizzes out and walks as UFA. We maybe lost out on a 5th or 6th round pick. I'd gamble and see if we can turn that into a 2nd rounder if he bounces back with say 20 to 25 goals before the deadline.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 05:35 PM   #1995
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm not trading Mangiapane right now after 14 goals.

His last contract year he scored 35 goals.

I doubt he repeats that, but no point in selling low right now, you never know.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:45 PM   #1996
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The upside of trading a player before the season is that the field hasn't been narrowed down yet. At the trade deadline,, you are almost exclusively trading with only a handful of buyers who already know where they stand. By doing a trade before the season starts, or at least early into it, some overly optimistic pretenders might want to add and you end up with better picks.

For example, see San Jose trading Karlsson to Pittsburgh in August while Pittsburgh still fancied themselves as a contender. What Pittsburgh probably thought was going to be a pretty low 1st rounder ended up being the 14th OA. Had San Jose waited until the trade deadline instead, they never would have received a pick that high. Pittsburgh also made the same mistake when they traded their 1st to Toronto for Kapanen in the offseason. The 1st ended up being 15th OA that year. There was also the original Karlsson trade to SJ that happened before the season started that got the Sens a 3rd OA pick. No way that trade happens if you wait until the deadline.

It probably doesn't matter with Mangiapane at this point. We'd be selling low and even with full retention, I doubt we'd get a 1st rounder. It would probably be better to see if he can increase his value. So maybe a moot point in this case, but I don't think waiting until the trade deadline to see is always a good idea. If Conroy is anticipating being a seller again next season, he should get started in the summer. The Flames have always had trouble being honest with themselves in that respect though.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-29-2024 at 05:47 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:47 PM   #1997
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Flames are sooo close to being perpetual bottom feeders for years and years and fans here seem to think trading all the vets for magic beans is going to somehow transform the franchise into a consistent contender. I can agree Mangiapane is overpaid, but the rush to jettison a legit play driving top 9 winger doesn’t make sense to me. I hope a year recovered from his shoulder surgery he has a solid offseason of training and comes back next year with confidence and scoring touch commensurate with his cap hit and proves all the cry baby fans wrong.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:00 PM   #1998
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The Flames are sooo close to being perpetual bottom feeders for years and years and fans here seem to think trading all the vets for magic beans is going to somehow transform the franchise into a consistent contender. I can agree Mangiapane is overpaid, but the rush to jettison a legit play driving top 9 winger doesn’t make sense to me. I hope a year recovered from his shoulder surgery he has a solid offseason of training and comes back next year with confidence and scoring touch commensurate with his cap hit and proves all the cry baby fans wrong.
Trading the vets will give them draft capital to help the rebuild.

The flames being so close to being perpetual bottom feeders is why you need to trade the vets, as they aren’t doing you any good in attempting to become a playoff team again.

In fact, they are likely holding that goal back.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:09 PM   #1999
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Do you think the Flames are a contender if Mangiapane scores 30 goals? They are already at the point of being a bottom feeder, it’s just a matter of leaning into or not.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:20 PM   #2000
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Do you think the Flames are a contender if Mangiapane scores 30 goals? They are already at the point of being a bottom feeder, it’s just a matter of leaning into or not.
I think the reason to keep Mangiapane is to hope he improves his trade value, which is basically zero right now.

At the deadline, it could hardly be worse.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good