Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #181
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Feels weird to say but... could look worse. I think people will get over it pretty quickly.

Though you'd think this is somewhat embarrassing for Bank of Montreal.
I do agree people will get over it quickly, it doesn’t mean people have to like it. Kind of a weird barometer as to if a decision should be made too. People will get over a lot of things, doesn’t mean those things should be done.

The NHL just HAD to do this? Caps going up, sounds like margins and revenues are coming along tickety boo without having to resort to cheapening out brands so that the already very rich can get even more rich. Yay!

I just have no idea why any fan would ever support this, there is literally no reason to. It also doesn’t mean it’s a huge deal, but it is pretty stupid overall, just an opinion.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #182
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's another National bank, with matching colours, and Montreal roots that could have been a much better partner.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #183
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Fans don't need to or have to support it. I mean, its just the on ice jersey. The one you buy won't have an RBC (or whoever) logo on it.

And could it be worse? Absolutely. Just swap the RBC logo and the Habs logo. That would be worse.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #184
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Feels weird to say but... could look worse. I think people will get over it pretty quickly.

Though you'd think this is somewhat embarrassing for Bank of Montreal.
No one actually cares about any of this where it counts, and that’s money. The league makes more money. Some internet randos say they care but their behaviour won’t change
Old 09-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #185
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is horrendous. Shameful really. Anyone who thinks that having a different shade of blue and a contrasting gold colour looks fine needs to have their eyes checked.

The league should have mandated that these ads be monochromatic using team colours only.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #186
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
That is horrendous. Shameful really. Anyone who thinks that having a different shade of blue and a contrasting gold colour looks fine needs to have their eyes checked.

The league should have mandated that these ads be monochromatic using team colours only.
While I agree that would look better, it also kind of defeats the purpose from an advertising perspective.

The decision's been made to add advertising to the jerseys... I'd say be happy that (for now at least) the advertisement isn't the main logo on the front like soccer, or absolutely covered in ads, like hockey leagues in Europe.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:07 PM   #187
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colours are a significant part of company branding. Assuming they'll just ignore that, and pay to have their logo be all but invisible, just to appease some fans, is rather naive.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #188
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is what selling out looks like.

I'm sure the shills have their hands full trying to make it sound like people are okay with this.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #189
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Colours are a significant part of company branding. Assuming they'll just ignore that, and pay to have their logo be all but invisible, just to appease some fans, is rather naive.
Actually most of the NBA sponsor patches are monochromatic. We're not seeing a navy and gold Sun Life logo on the Raptors jerseys for example.

If companies want the ad space bad enough they'll acquiesce. In fact, most companies have monochromatic versions of their logos and wordmarks for applications such as these.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #190
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
This is what selling out looks like.

I'm sure the shills have their hands full trying to make it sound like people are okay with this.
No one under 30 understands the concept of selling out. It’s a GenX relic.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:07 PM   #191
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
this is awesome even looks like a "tramp stamp"
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #192
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
No one under 30 understands the concept of selling out. It’s a GenX relic.
It’s also funny to say “this is what selling out looks like” when referring to putting a corporate logo run by wealthy elites on the laundry of another corporation run by wealthy elites, laundry which won’t even be for sale to the common people, and which almost exclusively wealthy people will see live and care about at the same time.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 03:12 PM   #193
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It’s also funny to say “this is what selling out looks like” when referring to putting a corporate logo run by wealthy elites on the laundry of another corporation run by wealthy elites, laundry which won’t even be for sale to the common people, and which almost exclusively wealthy people will see live and care about at the same time.
It's not at all "funny." This is literally what it looks like. Yes, the league has been in the process of selling out my entire life, but when things that were once untouchable become a canvass for ads, you know that the selling out has gone further than the average person would have once predicted. If there was a poll ten years ago about what we are seeing today, most regular people would have thought that the possibility of ads on NHL jerseys would have been a joke.

Also, your argument about corporate logos is a bit silly. A musician will buy a Fender strat or a Yamaha drum set, but you won't find a successful instrument company with a McDonalds or Ford logo on every piece of gear they manufacture. People whant to cheer for the brand they've grown up enjoying, not for an imposter that cheapens the logo that it's next to.

Bands who were once labeled "sellouts" had usually sold out long before it becomes obvious to the general public.

What I find funniest, is that your post was liked by corporatejay.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #194
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's not at all "funny." This is literally what it looks like. Yes, the league has been in the process of selling out my entire life, but when things that were once untouchable become a canvass for ads, you know that the selling out has gone further than the average person would have once predicted. If there was a poll ten years ago about what we are seeing today, most regular people would have thought that the possibility of ads on NHL jerseys would have been a joke.

Also, your argument about corporate logos is a bit silly. A musician will buy a Fender strat or a Yamaha drum set, but you won't find a successful instrument company with a McDonalds or Ford logo on every piece of gear they manufacture. People whant to cheer for the brand they've grown up enjoying, not for an imposter that cheapens the logo that it's next to.

Bands who were once labeled "sellouts" had usually sold out long before it becomes obvious to the general public.

The fact a company can make you forget it's a company and have you emotionally invested in its future is great marketing. Enjoy the hockey and have your favorite team but never forget that they want as much money from you as possible.

Last edited by Icantwhisper; 09-13-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Icantwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icantwhisper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #195
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really don't get advertising.

Am I supposed to run out and switch to RBC when I see their logo on a jersey?
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #196
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
The fact a company can make you forget it's a company and have you emotionally invested in it's future is great marketing. Enjoy the hockey and have your favorite team but never forget that they want as much money from you as possible.
This is exactly the reason I don't own a jersey and choose not to spend any money on the NHL. I'm already the product without paying on top of the ads I'm meant to consume. It's not something for me to brag about, but I just can't personally justify spending on the NHL.

I am in full support of people who choose to spend money on the NHL, but music is both my career and passion so that's where I choose to spend since it's more than entertainment and is something I was once able to improve at.

I do absolutely cheer for a company I'm emotionally invested in though haha
Old 09-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #197
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

It’s definitely funny, and not “literally” what selling out looks like.

It’s just an ad. Personally I agree they’re generally uglier than a jersey without ads and not ideal, but the idea that it’s selling out just doesn’t make any practical sense when you look at the reality.

You’re upset that they’ve “sold out,” I get it. But if they sold out it happened decades ago. This is a product. They want you to spend money. New arenas, huge television deals, multi-million dollars contracts, sponsorship agreements, third jerseys, reverse retros, new merch, etc. It’s all in an effort to get you to spend more money. Hell, half the teams don’t even have to be any good to make money, you just have to offer their fans something to buy.

Selling out is, apparently: a common expression for the compromising of a person's integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles in exchange for personal gain, such as money.

If you can explain how an ad on a jersey has anything to do with the integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles of the team wearing that jersey or the sport itself, by all means explain it. But it’s a product.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #198
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It’s definitely funny, and not “literally” what selling out looks like.

It’s just an ad. Personally I agree they’re generally uglier than a jersey without ads and not ideal, but the idea that it’s selling out just doesn’t make any practical sense when you look at the reality.

You’re upset that they’ve “sold out,” I get it. But if they sold out it happened decades ago. This is a product. They want you to spend money. New arenas, huge television deals, multi-million dollars contracts, sponsorship agreements, third jerseys, reverse retros, new merch, etc. It’s all in an effort to get you to spend more money. Hell, half the teams don’t even have to be any good to make money, you just have to offer their fans something to buy.

Selling out is, apparently: a common expression for the compromising of a person's integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles in exchange for personal gain, such as money.

If you can explain how an ad on a jersey has anything to do with the integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles of the team wearing that jersey or the sport itself, by all means explain it. But it’s a product.
While you're right that the sell out happened years ago, in the past there was a line in the sand that you wouldn't compromise certain things - like a jersey or possibly urinal pucks sullied with Pete the Plumbers face.

It would be incredibly naive to assume this is where it ends, and this is the problem for many fans that are strongly against this. In a few years it will be a larger portion on the jersey, pants, socks.

I'm not really upset by it - I expect every ounce of value to be extracted by these teams at this point. But, I get how people are really tired of ads showing up everywhere and on everything, especially when sports is/was supposed to be a place of escape for the average joe.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #199
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

Maybe not you but it does subconsciously work that way for some people. Brand recognition is huge. Also there are major tax benefits.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:39 PM   #200
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
While you're right that the sell out happened years ago, in the past there was a line in the sand that you wouldn't compromise certain things - like a jersey or possibly urinal pucks sullied with Pete the Plumbers face.

It would be incredibly naive to assume this is where it ends, and this is the problem for many fans that are strongly against this. In a few years it will be a larger portion on the jersey, pants, socks.

I'm not really upset by it - I expect every ounce of value to be extracted by these teams at this point. But, I get how people are really tired of ads showing up everywhere and on everything, especially when sports is/was supposed to be a place of escape for the average joe.
It’s definitely going to get worse, I just think we’re long past the point of purity. If anything, given how deeply productised the sport has become, it’s actually surprising and out of alignment with the “values” or whatever of the league that they haven’t done it until now.

That’s why I said originally that people would likely get over it quickly. It’s totally in line with what the NHL is, and eventually there are going to be more ads and people just aren’t going to even notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

Exposure + positive associations. Long term play, maybe when you think of switching banks down the line RBC is closer to the forefront of your options (in this example).

Works all the time and has probably worked on you in ways you would never even realise.