Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #181
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

goddamitsomuch. So it's about a 30 minute drive, I get there, and even though she told me the measurements were 7"x7", turns out the bricks are rectangular. I need square. How hard is it to measure??? What a waste of time.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #182
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And on the flipside, the guy I got gravel from had more, so I've got enough to finish the project from him. And he answered his phone first try!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #183
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Kijiji for selling. I started using it to advertise units for the company I work for. Made a $400,000 sale a couple years ago on a unit I had listed on Kijiji. The buyer responded in less than an hour of me posting the ad. My record is 18 minutes, from time of posting to first contact with the buyer. Other ad's can languish until they expire.

Personally, I have sold two vehicles within 24 hours. Most recently I sold my sons old skates for $90.

Is there tire kickers and time wasters? Of course, but I sell for a living and I'm used to that.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #184
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I'm selling a Nintendo DS and a bunch of games, had someone offer me half of my asking. THAT drives me nuts. At least try and come close.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #185
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I'm selling a Nintendo DS and a bunch of games, had someone offer me half of my asking. THAT drives me nuts. At least try and come close.
That does seem to happen a lot. Sold some motorcycle accessories on the weekend and the same thing happened. I priced my stuff reasonably, so it made me happy to say, no. No counter-offer, just no. Sold it for list price a few hours later.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #186
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's tons of parasites who will low ball only to sell it again at your ask later.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #187
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, same for me. My wife says its not that big of a deal, but honestly, when people try and cut half or 2/3s off the price - and are snarky about it. Its frustrating. I started thinking my price was high, but then they sell at listed price range not long after, and people who buy tell me its reasonably priced.

But its the snark of some people I find who low ball.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #188
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that all the time. I just respond "sorry no, thanks for your interest". If they really want it they will come back. If not, they probably won't bother you again.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #189
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I get that all the time. I just respond "sorry no, thanks for your interest". If they really want it they will come back. If not, they probably won't bother you again.
I got sassy with my response. I said "sure, if you also give me the rest. At least try and make a reasonable offer next time."
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #190
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got sassy with my response. I said "sure, if you also give me the rest. At least try and make a reasonable offer next time."
If I didn't work as a salesman, I probably wouldn't be as diplomatic. But in my line of work I can't get offended or rude. You never know who is a serious buyer, and just because they are kicking tires this time, doesn't mean they won't be ready to buy next week, next month, or next year. Of course repeat offenders are treated as a waste of time or ignored.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #191
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yea, I would never respond to that, I suppose you could consider it spam, but they no longer have that button available.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #192
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a buyer, I have gotten some great deals on Kijiji. As a seller, I get nothing but no-shows. I was trying to sell my dining/pool table and kept having the same guy emailing me to see if it was a available and never actually making an appointment. Then I had 3 no-shows and one person show up and said it wasn't what they thought it was. They thought it was a dining table to put by your swimming pool, even though the pictures clearly showed a "pool table" that coverts to a dining room table.

On the positive side, I originally purchased it from someone off of Kijiji and paid well below market value for it.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #193
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The first few times it happens it feels a bit offensive but if you sell enough stuff on Kijiji you realize it's simply part of selling something there. I used to also give the snarky responses but now just a quick "No thanks" and that's it and if the reply with a "you are asking too much" type of comment I again reply "No thanks" and they just disappear.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #194
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in the market for a cast iron chiminea a few years back when I saw one listed near my house for $60. Knowing that these things run upwards of $300, and often a fair bit more when new, I knew that I had to have it. Unable to leave work early, I politely asked (begged?) the lady via email to keep it until 5:00 for me. I told her my name, that I live a few blocks over, I'd be there with the full $60 by 5:00, and that I wouldn't flake out or haggle when I got there.

To my surprise, she agreed and even took the ad down. Knowing the flakes that frequent Kijiji, I was impressed by her trust and/or naivety.

So I showed up two days later with $20 and told her to take it or leave it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #195
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The first few times it happens it feels a bit offensive but if you sell enough stuff on Kijiji you realize it's simply part of selling something there. I used to also give the snarky responses but now just a quick "No thanks" and that's it and if the reply with a "you are asking too much" type of comment I again reply "No thanks" and they just disappear.
I agree, but sometimes people just set you off. I was selling a mac mini a couple years ago and I had one person send me multiple "offers" for it that eventually I felt the need to write back. They sent me a link to gazelle (a website that will buy your electronics from you, which they then resell) telling me what my mac mini was actually worth and so their lowball was actually a fair offer. Their offer email was so smug too. Treating me like an idiot for my list price when in fact they were the stupid one.

I forget the actual numbers but gazelle would have paid me around 1/3 of what I ended up selling it for. Plus they low balled the gazelle price. So if I had it listed for $800, gazelle's price was $260 and they offered $200 because it was "fair" and that was what the mac was "actually worth". It would be like trying to buy a car off of Kijiji and using a dealer trade in value as the actual value and then lowballing that.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #196
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I was in the market for a cast iron chiminea a few years back when I saw one listed near my house for $60. Knowing that these things run upwards of $300, and often a fair bit more when new, I knew that I had to have it. Unable to leave work early, I politely asked (begged?) the lady via email to keep it until 5:00 for me. I told her my name, that I live a few blocks over, I'd be there with the full $60 by 5:00, and that I wouldn't flake out or haggle when I got there.

To my surprise, she agreed and even took the ad down. Knowing the flakes that frequent Kijiji, I was impressed by her trust and/or naivety.
I'd had a couple disappointing experiences this summer trying to buy some wheels on Kijiji. In both cases I emailed the seller and said I was interested and wanted to come by to the see the wheels. I mentioned that I was available any time/any day to see the wheels and the sellers gave me a time and day to meet. Each time the seller emailed me the day before and said that they had just sold the wheels. I wish they would have told me in the initial contact that they were available earlier so that I could have had a chance to buy the wheels. Now I'm stuck still looking for a set of winter wheels.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #197
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kijiji was a godsend when it came to my brother's estate up in Red Deer. We had a garage sale earlier, but it wasn't a very good use of our time for the bigger ticket stuff.

A few years ago, the wife and I were downstairs looking at a ratty couch that we wanted to get rid of. We decided to put it on kijiji for free, we got a hit right away, and it was gone 20 minutes later. Instant gratification!!

Buying, I try to keep it punctual; I'll text or email an ETA when enroute. I've been in sales myself, so I don't beat someone up to badly over the price if it's fair. There was a guy advertising a free bike wheel on kijiji with a vague description. I contacted him too late - he said someone was already interested. He messaged me later to say the wheel was still available (no show) and he'd leave it on his front step. I boogied over, and it was a sweet wheel, better than anything I currently had. I messaged him when I got home and told him to look under they plant pot by his front door.......I'd put an envelope with some cash in it for him.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #198
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see anything wrong with offering half (or whatever). If you as the seller want to bargain, you can, if you don't say no and go on with your life.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #199
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't see anything wrong with offering half (or whatever). If you as the seller want to bargain, you can, if you don't say no and go on with your life.
No doubt you can offer, but as earlier posters have said, often it is often delivered in a condescending and smug manner. As the offeror, I can and will say "no", without any counter.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #200
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My latest issue is getting people to commit with 100% certainty to a date/time to come by to do the transaction.

Me: "OK, lets do the deal at $X. I can meet anytime after 6pm, what time works for you?"

Buyer: "Yeah I think tomorrow works for me. Send me your address"

Dude, I'm busy and happy to meet at a time of your choosing. However, I'm not going to waste a glorious Sunday evening just sitting around waiting for you to (maybe) show up sometime Sunday. Next!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
4X4