Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #181
Guest1

Go to Winners. Foam rollers for $17-$20. Bands from $6.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #182
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex libris View Post
For those of you who have been doing this for a while - how long did it take you to get all the moves plus the resistance together? I can do the resistance during the Diamond Dozen, but did my first actual workout this week, and trying to follow the moves plus remembering to engage all my muscles was impossible! Anyway, I guess it will just take practice.
It does take a while. Each time I do a new workout I find that I forget to activate all my muscles. Sometimes I don't so I can lower my heart rate without having to go into safety zone.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #183
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am struggling with the pushups.

Ive realized my historical technique is all wrong. I had my hands up by my ears and not under the shoulder. Great for shoulders, but it is awful trying to do a proper pushup now. The stabalizing muscles are all shot and if i get remotely tired, my tendency is to shift back to the old position. Gets me mad actually.

My lunge technique is also off. Too much quad, not enough hammy. Might have to spend extra time on that one as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #184
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I am struggling with the pushups.

Ive realized my historical technique is all wrong. I had my hands up by my ears and not under the shoulder. Great for shoulders, but it is awful trying to do a proper pushup now. The stabalizing muscles are all shot and if i get remotely tired, my tendency is to shift back to the old position. Gets me mad actually.

My lunge technique is also off. Too much quad, not enough hammy. Might have to spend extra time on that one as well.
I order you to do slow burn pushups all day long. You can stop when you correctly execute 10 in a row. If your arms fall off go to a doctor, get them surgically attached and start again. Hey, practice makes perfect!

You sound like a good candidate to go back to the Diamond Dozen and work on the pushups and lunges specifically. Okay, so you don't have to do them all day long, but work on them for a couple of minutes each day before and/or after your workouts. The form will come practice.

Has anybody done Red Hot Core much? I've done it a few times, and it wipes me out every time. It is really intense on your abs. At the end of the workout when you have to do cannonball is hard for me. My abs are so tired that I have to pull my legs up with my arms. I am SO going to have a 6 pack when all is said and done. Just last night I did Fat Burner and immidiately did RHC. I just laid on the floor for almost an hour after I finished, my core was too tired to move. My only concern with RHC, is that while I am feeling the benefits, my heart rate doesn't go up so much with this workout.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #185
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wanted to bump this.

I just created my own modified meal plan, I didn't go as extreme as the suggested one, but I cut out red meat. Have gone from 2 meals a day to

Breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-light snack.

For breakfast its usually a serving of oatmeal with skim milk

First snack is a piece of fruit usually an apple and a bottle of water

Lunch is either a veggie salad, or a serving of rice with stir fried veggies and 3 hard boiled eggs. A small serving of yoguort and flavored water.

Sanck is a mix of raw veggies usually carrots or cucumber or brocalli, a small fiber yogurt and water

Dinner is usually a serving of grilled fish, a serving of brown rice and a vegatable boiild with a flavored water

Late snack is usually a piece of fruit before 7 pm

I think its a pretty decent plan. It reduces my calorie intack and gets a lot of refined sugers and fats out of my diet.

I'm still doing energy 3 times a week and showing some pretty decent weight loss. I've lost 11 pounds since I started. My target is about 40 more pounds which will put me in the 200 range.

I'm following his beginner calender but at a slower pace, I'm still doing energy three days a week with a diamond dozen to make sure that I revisit the moves.

Any suggestions on the food intake. I'm down to about 2300 calaries a day if I'm doing the math right.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #186
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

^needs more yam!

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #187
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yam?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #188
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I started DDP three weeks ago and I'm liking it a lot. Couple things:

Ignition is the key to this entire program. It takes a lot of discipline and repetition to train yourself to get the most out of the dynamic tension concept and to do the movement in good form. I've only done energy and fat burner so far and they've both been great for flexibility, activating the core and the support muscles.

It would be nice if DDP telegraphed the upcoming moves or otherwise cut out the banter between movements. It's a little distracting after four or six times.

** snaps fingers - punches palm - does hitchhiker / fonzie motion **

I think dynamic tension is awesome for toning /tightening your existing muscles and boosting your heart rate but I don't believe it 'builds muscle' at least not anything close to how pumping iron does. Maybe Azure or other big time lifters can weigh in on this but outside of movements like push ups where there is actual weight for your body to move you aren't going to actually grow muscle with most of this program. Maybe the more advanced programs have more weight bearing stuff.

I'm doing DDP about every other day and weights on the in between days.

I can't seem to get my heart rate in the zone with Energy but Fat Burner is much better as long as a guy stays in strict form and doesn't slack off on the movements. Got one of those strapless heart rate monitor watches but I'm not sure how accurate it is. There is frequently a delta between the watch and the treadmill handles. Guess I'll throw on the chest strap and see if that changes anything.

I've modified my diet much like CC's approach. Oatmeal with walnuts and a frozen fruit with powdered protein and skim milk smoothie for breakfast. The Magic Bullet is your friend. Sometimes egg beaters with chopped up cold cuts with salsa. Rarely any carbs at dinner time (even good ones like brown rice, etc.). Don't know if that's good form or not but I'm trying to stay under 150 grams of carbs a day and no more than 8 grams of fat at each meal. If I'm hungry before bed it'll be an ounce of cheese or some low fat cold cuts (ham, roast chicken).

Alcohol only once a week which is kinda hard to do.

I don't weigh myself that often and rely more on how clothes fit and the cruel, cruel mirror instead. When pants get looser and when I can drop a size l know I'm making progress.

Having to emulate Hulk Hogan pisses me off.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #189
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

DDP Yoga is all Chris Jericho does now for a work out.. He says he hasn't touched a weight in a couple of years.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #190
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yam?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #191
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
DDP Yoga is all Chris Jericho does now for a work out.. He says he hasn't touched a weight in a couple of years.
Yep. If you've got a really good muscle base like Jericho had before DDP you'd probably not need to lift much anymore.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #192
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ben Hur! View Post
I started DDP three weeks ago and I'm liking it a lot. Couple things:

Ignition is the key to this entire program. It takes a lot of discipline and repetition to train yourself to get the most out of the dynamic tension concept and to do the movement in good form. I've only done energy and fat burner so far and they've both been great for flexibility, activating the core and the support muscles.

It would be nice if DDP telegraphed the upcoming moves or otherwise cut out the banter between movements. It's a little distracting after four or six times.

** snaps fingers - punches palm - does hitchhiker / fonzie motion **

I think dynamic tension is awesome for toning /tightening your existing muscles and boosting your heart rate but I don't believe it 'builds muscle' at least not anything close to how pumping iron does. Maybe Azure or other big time lifters can weigh in on this but outside of movements like push ups where there is actual weight for your body to move you aren't going to actually grow muscle with most of this program. Maybe the more advanced programs have more weight bearing stuff.

I'm doing DDP about every other day and weights on the in between days.

I can't seem to get my heart rate in the zone with Energy but Fat Burner is much better as long as a guy stays in strict form and doesn't slack off on the movements. Got one of those strapless heart rate monitor watches but I'm not sure how accurate it is. There is frequently a delta between the watch and the treadmill handles. Guess I'll throw on the chest strap and see if that changes anything.

I've modified my diet much like CC's approach. Oatmeal with walnuts and a frozen fruit with powdered protein and skim milk smoothie for breakfast. The Magic Bullet is your friend. Sometimes egg beaters with chopped up cold cuts with salsa. Rarely any carbs at dinner time (even good ones like brown rice, etc.). Don't know if that's good form or not but I'm trying to stay under 150 grams of carbs a day and no more than 8 grams of fat at each meal. If I'm hungry before bed it'll be an ounce of cheese or some low fat cold cuts (ham, roast chicken).

Alcohol only once a week which is kinda hard to do.

I don't weigh myself that often and rely more on how clothes fit and the cruel, cruel mirror instead. When pants get looser and when I can drop a size l know I'm making progress.

Having to emulate Hulk Hogan pisses me off.
The only thing I would change is the use of the egg beaters, they aren't as good as actual eggs now I don't go nuts like DDP where he talks about
Vegan fed eggs, but I do pick up a 2 dozen brown eggs a week and I boil half of them for snacks to add to my lunch.

The biggest thing for me is I'm really trying to go back to more basic cleaner foods with a lot less ingrediants in them.

I'm keeping things like seafood and fish simple in terms of how I prepare them.

In his meal plan he does recommend 1 serving of complex carbs and/or protein with dinner.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #193
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Same goes with DDP. He hasn't lifted for over 6 years now. Neither of those guys are going to get much bulkier than they are right now, but they can still build strength. I'm also no expert, but I'd bet if you adjusted your diet correctly you could probably bulk up a bit. I think DDP's diet plan is more tailored to those looking to lose weight. We need one of the health and fitness gurus to weigh in on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #194
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just wanted to bump this to see how people are doing on this and sticking to it.

I'm still doing energy but moved it to 4 times a week, I'm also not doing as much modification to make it easier though I'm still not doing it all in a full blow lunge yet.

I'm still following my own diet plan as well.

Its amazing though how quickly your back flexibility improves. I'm now able to touch the floor from a standing position without my spine exploding.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #195
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to a nasty sinus infection that just wants to linger, I haven't worked out in a week, however I think I'll be starting again tonight. I'm going to do Energy tonight, Fat Burner tomorrow and play ball hockey on Wednesday. We'll see how I am on Thursday after three nights in a row, either I'll take the night off, or I'll introduce Below The Belt. In total I've been working out 5 to 6 days per week, that includes playing ball hockey. So I've been doing DDPYoga workouts 3 or 4 times per week.

I was stuck at a certain weight for a long time, but last week I dropped 6 lbs off of that weight... unfortunately this last weekend was a total loss for following me diet, we had a wedding in the family, and that means BBQs the days preceding and following the wedding. So I gained 4lbs back from the 6 that I lost, but overall I'm doing great. My best results are in my flexibility and how trim and toned I am becoming.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #196
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started last week after following this thread and seeing people's reviews. I'm not a big guy to begin with (185lbs) but I'm at the age where i'm gettin a little fluff around the belt and want to tone stuff up.

Started with the Diamond Dozen and have been doing energy for the last few times. I think tonight I'm gonna try out the fat burner and see how that goes.

Not having a problem engaging all my muscles at all and elevating my heart rate. I think the best thing about this program is the time it takes. 25 minute workout means I don't have any excuse to not find those minutes in a day to do it!

Keep up the good work CP!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #197
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Once you get a handle on the muscle resistance its amazing how quickly your heart rate bumps up.

I was showing a cow worker the stance and then the ignition stuff and I had beads of sweat going.

The biggest thing to learn is how to engage muscle groups correctly.

I think for beginners it doesn't hurt to just do the diamond dozen on your days off.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #198
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

That cow worker... was she/he milking or herding? ;-)

I admit I've been very lax the last few weeks. Work has totally gotten away from me with several outages back to back, followed by the flood and then another major outage. At one point I think I had 9 hours sleep total through 6 days. I will get back to it this week, although tonight is a Stampede event that will undoubtedly involve booze and "unhealthy" food. I've continued to weigh in on Mondays and my weight has been somewhat constant, so at least I'm not losing too much ground.

More work to do for sure.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #199
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what I've found with this program? I have some areas that still have a ways to go to get nice and toned, like my core, and my chest, but I can see it in my arms and shoulders and neck and legs. It makes me feel like a teenager again because I'll spend a lot of time flexing in the mirror. I feel so much more confidence because I am looking better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #200
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

I met a girl and I am slacking, I am making up for it with GWEYoga, you know what I mean...

I am still just doing what I can with a modified dozen. I like what Buff said about feeling like a teenager, I do too! Feeling great, the stretch alone makes my day bearable. I will be getting back into it hardcore soon.

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg