Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #181
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Regarding cancer, what is the usual cause of death? What is the pathology here? Death from cancer always seems so sudden. One week ago, Layton was still talking to people, a week later, he was dead.

What is the actual acute cause of death when suffering from cancer? What brings about the "turn for the worse"?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #182
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the Toronto Star:

Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #183
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I had not known that Jack's father was Robert "Bob" Layton, who was a Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament and Cabinet Minister under Brian Mulroney. LINK

Died from Prostate Cancer.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-24-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #184
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I said that I liked her take on it and there is no real debate that he was working a political angle. If you read the letter rather than just mindlessly spouting off about it you would be able to see this.
It's a shame Blatchford didn't absorb the message Layton conveyed. Instead, she resorted to partisan bickering. Given that's she's considered a legend in journalistic circles for shambolic, disjointed first drafts, it's unfortunate the copy editors couldn't whittle down her missives into a coherent thesis.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #185
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I had not known that Jack's father was Robert "Bob" Layton, who was a Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament and Cabinet Minister under Brian Mulroney. LINK

Died from Prostrate Cancer.
Always sucks to die from cancer of planking.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #186
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Preston manning is/was a great Canadian/person trying to make this country better.

Layton is a scumbag with a horrible disease that did everything he could to make this country a worse place to live.
This is just stupid. However wrong and misguided you or I might think Layton's political views were, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he was genuinely trying to make Canada a better place.

The same is true for Harper.

Just because you don't agree with someone's politics doesn't mean they're trying to ruin the country.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #187
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
This is just stupid. However wrong and misguided you or I might think Layton's political views were, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he was genuinely trying to make Canada a better place.

The same is true for Harper.

Just because you don't agree with someone's politics doesn't mean they're trying to ruin the country.
I agree. Layton would have ruined the country, but not on purpose.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #188
Calgaryborn
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Usually when someone is "working a political angle", they are doing it with some sort of personal benefit in mind. This guy knew he was dying and knew he wasn't going to gain anything. He asked people to continue working towards something he believed in after he died.

The bashers in this thread sound like ideologues in the vein of Rush Limbaugh.

You didn't like him. We get it.
Layton's personal angle was to be remembered and beloved. He probably had visions of the NDP rising to power and changing Canada for the better. Perhaps his letter would rally the troops to finish the job and he would be immortalized as what inspired them. Maybe he invisioned "Jack" tea shirts replacing "Che" tea shirts in popularity.

I don't begrudge him his letter. Nothing wrong with dying wishes. I just don't see many folks rising to the leadership of a party without convincing themselves that their best interests are the Party's best interests. Jack Layton never appeared to me to be a humble man. He was what he was.

I have no problem with Harper giving Layton a State funeral. There are enough Canadians on side to warrent it and after all funerals are for the living; not the dead. If millions of Canadian's want Layton honoured then by all means honour him.
Calgaryborn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgaryborn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #189
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who was the last active serving federal politician to die in office?

Answer that question and you'll get why we're having a state funeral.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #190
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post

Chuck Cadman in 2005?
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #191
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:

Its a nutty, over-the-top gesture that's probably a bit of politicking by the Prime Minister versus genuine empathy or sympathy.

On the other hand, I thought Christie Blatchford's column was dead-on (pun) . . . . but it's one of those "don't speak ill of the dead" kind of moments so the blowback across her windshield is also no surprise.

The whole thing, from Layton's sorry letter with a fist coming out of the dirt to control the agenda beyond the grave through to the PM's call for a state funeral to throw another shovel full on him to keep him six feet under to Blatchford calling the whole thing out . . . . has a rather greasy, unsavoury feel to it.

Fortunately, its easy to ignore. We'll see what happens next week in the world when this is all ancient history.

Bah!! Humbug!!!

Cowperson
HOZ
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #192
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Regarding cancer, what is the usual cause of death? What is the pathology here? Death from cancer always seems so sudden. One week ago, Layton was still talking to people, a week later, he was dead.

What is the actual acute cause of death when suffering from cancer? What brings about the "turn for the worse"?
Often they starve to death.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #193
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

His policies were more often than not ridiculous, and many of us said that he would have a tough time delivering all the promises he was throwing around during the election cycle. I think he was only successful because people were pretty sick and tired of the Liberals, and Quebec wanted to get the separatists out, but had a tough time trusting the Conservatives, and the NDP promised them more.

I have no idea if he should get a state funeral or not. He is leader of the opposition and served the public for over 30 years. I find his 'dying' letter to be a bit sickening actually, but politicians are a different breed, and Jack was a politician to the core, so from his viewpoint I can see why he would write it.

The best thing Jack did was to help destroy the Liberals, and force them to go back to the drawing board. Hopefully from there we'll get the fiscally responsible/socially liberal party that they SHOULD be.

But either way, as leader of the opposition and someone who has been in government for a long time, I would probably agree with the state funeral.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #194
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
I thought this too. I suspect he'll run in the by-election and kick around as a backbencher...maybe take on a critic's portfolio in a couple of years. And then in another 8 years or so when the NDP hold their next leadership convention, he'll take his shot then.

I know nothing about him, really, but that seems to be how things happen in such political families (see Trudeau, e.g.)
I would like to hope that Layton's kid would have the self-respect to wait a bit and try to get through to federal politics trading on his own name rather than on a wave of grief for his father.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #195
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

That question is easy to flip - Who was the last non-government politician to have a state funeral?

It really is unprecedented, and interesting because the only reason it is happening is that Layton died at the peak of his popularity. If he had made it through a year in opposition and saw it slump as the burdens of managing expectations and a divided caucus wore on, it never would have happened.

Objectively, the funeral itself is nothing but politics. But it is also good politics. People who hated Layton's politics and people who hate Harper's politics both unified on this one gesture in their praise of the other side. Well, mostly.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #196
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Many forms cause a slow starvation of the major organs as the cancer cells use up their share of energy, leaving less for the other cells. After going through the emergency cycles (sugars, then fats, then proteins, then key materials), it'll run out of energy and starve to death. A couple will be quick to the point though and plainly just kill your body's ability to absorb food period. It could have been what killed Layton, as there is an extremely low survival rate after even 6 months.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #197
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I am surprised with the outpouring of support for Layton with people writing with chalk on the pavement at Toronto City Hall and with the lines and lines of people at Parliament.

With this support, you'd think he'd be Prime Minister!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #198
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryborn View Post
Maybe he invisioned "Jack" tea shirts replacing "Che" tea shirts in popularity.
Yes, I am sure this is what he had in mind.

Last edited by RedHot25; 08-24-2011 at 10:07 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #199
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I am surprised with the outpouring of support for Layton with people writing with chalk on the pavement at Toronto City Hall and with the lines and lines of people at Parliament.

With this support, you'd think he'd be Prime Minister!
People like these sorts of stories. If some guy could find a way to die, then come back to run for PM, they'd be set.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #200
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryborn View Post
Maybe he invisioned "Jack" tea shirts replacing "Che" tea shirts in popularity.
If you ask me, Jack bears a much closer resemblance to Lenin than Che.

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:

Tags
canada , layton , ndp