Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #181
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went on a three-day bachelor trip. Smoked a lot of cigarettes - which is not something I do. And now my mouth tastes like a carpeted grave.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #182
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only ever banked with one bank, and I hate to say that at best they were ever mediocre and in the background. I stayed with them mostly because all of my direct deposits and withdrawals seemed a pain to move. I was burned by this bank twice in the past, and now again that is going to cost me hundreds of dollars in 'fees' that they have been collecting, and I didn't notice.

Does anyone know how hard it is to move all of the direct withdrawal stuff to another bank? Gone through it before?
Old 06-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #183
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I've only ever banked with one bank, and I hate to say that at best they were ever mediocre and in the background. I stayed with them mostly because all of my direct deposits and withdrawals seemed a pain to move. I was burned by this bank twice in the past, and now again that is going to cost me hundreds of dollars in 'fees' that they have been collecting, and I didn't notice.

Does anyone know how hard it is to move all of the direct withdrawal stuff to another bank? Gone through it before?
Open new account.

Move stuff over.

Slowly realize things still linked to old account. Move those over.

Eventually close old account.

Shouldn’t take too much effort but if you take your time you can make sure you don’t miss anything.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #184
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

When I switched I made sure to keep money in the original account for two months, just to be sure I had all of the auto withdrawals handled properly.

Otherwise it’s extremely simple and well worth the effort to go to a banking setup that meets your needs better.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #185
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Went on a three-day bachelor trip. Smoked a lot of cigarettes - which is not something I do. And now my mouth tastes like a carpeted grave.
I did that when I was 22. Smoked a pack a day for three days and felt like #### for days afterwards.

I've had a handful of darts since then and each time I have one, I regret it and it's at least a few years until I have another one. I think the last one I had was the World Cup Final in Zagreb in 2018, and you guessed it, hated it.

So nasty. Not sure why I do it
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #186
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Except 90% of the time it’s just people intentionally misinterpreting the gg and getting it wrong. I liked it better when people actually weighed in on the gg’s and didn’t just post some tangential rant.
90% of the time it wouldn’t bother me but 10% of the time someone leaves an early morning alarm set on a hotel room clock GMG. Check in for one night and the alarm goes off at 6am. Negligence or intentional? Just a big F U to that guy.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #187
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Probably multiple 20-30 minute per item to transfer totaling 2-4 hours of medium level effort total at most? Usually it's pretty easy to go to a company website to find the contact info notify of change and send a void cheque/auto deposit form and whatnot. Government stuff is a little more effort, but not by much. Most times if you go to a new institution where you open up new accounts there to transfer old accounts, they're really helpful and tell you what to do specifically so you don't have to dance around in the dark.

Paralleling the old and new accounts and monitoring the old bank account for a few months as Pepsi mentioned is a relatively easy thing to do to make the transition as smooth as possible as well. It's definitely easier to change the auto withdrawal/deposit when it's already set up vs notifying the institution that it soon will be set up.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #188
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Except 90% of the time it’s just people intentionally misinterpreting the gg and getting it wrong. I liked it better when people actually weighed in on the gg’s and didn’t just post some tangential rant.

So it grinds your gears if no one validates your gear grinder? I have no opinion on that.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #189
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
So it grinds your gears if no one validates your gear grinder? I have no opinion on that.
Not necessarily validate. More like gmg when people act intentionally obtuse to refute a gear grinder but miss the point entirely.

“I got t boned at an intersection today by a drunk driver who ran a red light. That gmg.”

“Well you should have been paying more attention and waited until the intersection was clear before proceeding, even if your light was green. Bad drivers who don’t take responsibility gmg.”

I see stupid exchanges like that all the time now. It’s like it’s a contest to see who can miss the point the most
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #190
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As someone who works at a bank, it can often be used as a scare tactic the amount of work that you'll "need" to do to change information. I'd question what you really have for withdrawals. Your new bank will print you off as many forms as you want to switch everything, but really it's not a lot of effort. Just some time on hold more than anything. If you aren't feeling valued, there are options out there right now as almost everywhere is offering deals to get business.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #191
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

GGs should be trivial not heavy stuff.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:00 PM   #192
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The ER has turned into a walk-in clinic. But where else is there to go? Doctors are open like 9 to 5 on weekdays only. And calling 811 only gets you so far.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:07 PM   #193
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The ER has turned into a walk-in clinic. But where else is there to go? Doctors are open like 9 to 5 on weekdays only. And calling 811 only gets you so far.
If it's something you would go to your family doctor for except you don't have a family doctor, or their office is closed then just wait until Monday and/or go to a walk in clinic. No reason to go to the ER.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #194
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My experience with 811:

“Hmm that’s a tricky one. Maybe you should just go see a doctor to be sure.”
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
My experience with 811:

Its the Telephone Equivalent of WebMD.

"What it is its Cancer. You have Cancer. Don't bother consulting a physician, get your affairs in order. Because you have Cancer."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #196
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
90% of the time it wouldn’t bother me but 10% of the time someone leaves an early morning alarm set on a hotel room clock GMG. Check in for one night and the alarm goes off at 6am. Negligence or intentional? Just a big F U to that guy.
Travelling last week and neighboring room had their alarm go off loudly at 430am. That GMG. But what REALLY REALLY GMG was them hitting snooze at least 4 times. the next day they only “snoozed” 2-3x. As if I wasn’t getting good or enough sleep whilst travelling that I also needed that. Sigh…
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #197
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Lately some walk-in clinics… just aren’t accepting people. And/or have limited walk-in time slots.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #198
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
My experience with 811:

Well... to be fair, you literally cannot completely trust someone who calls 811 to self diagnose a borderline situation accurately. Someone capable of self diagnosing accurately will bypass 811 and either stay at home, go straight to a medical facility/clinic. If you can kinda wait to call in for 811, that already gives a little insight to the severity of the situation.

This goes back to the EMS thread. There are multiple (not singular) people I know who freak out if their kid has the slightest cough and a 38.1C elevated temperature. They'll call an ambulance (because also it costs them nothing as the fee can be covered by their medical benefits) as a just in case so that a medical professional double checks on their kid and they don't have to inconveniently go out to get a medical professional to check up on their kid.

This grinds my gears because those same people are like, "Oh, I can't believe you had to sit in the Children's hospital for 3-8 hours to get your kid checked out. Doesn't your benefits cover ambulance costs? That's what EMS is paid to do."

No, that's not what EMS is for. Don't act like I'm a moron because I did the right thing and did not exaggerate symptoms to get an ambulance over then claim, "Oh the symptoms got a little better after we called" kind of BS.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:43 PM   #199
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inflation currently has killed Chinese food leftovers. My favorite part of Chinese food is having leftovers the next day for lunch and I ordered our usual take out dinner tonight and the portions have shrunk to the point where we have no leftovers. It has been a couple months since I've last ordered Chinese and the price is up over 20% and we barely had enough food for the whole family.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:55 PM   #200
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If it's something you would go to your family doctor for except you don't have a family doctor, or their office is closed then just wait until Monday and/or go to a walk in clinic. No reason to go to the ER.
Yeah and that’s fair. But the issue with medicine is that if you actually need something done at say 7pm, you’re going to the ER. I remember as a kid, that doctors did medical things in their office. Draw blood, x-rays…I don’t know…just stuff that needed to be done. That doesn’t happen now. We like to give people a hard time about being in the ER when you probably shouldn’t be, but I’ve been stuck there and there’s no other place to go.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: