Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #181
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just roast the old veggies.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #182
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
^ I am laughing out loud here, is that relevant or do you get a kickback or something? Are you Billy Mays?
But wait, THERE'S MORE!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #183
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Sorry, I think my brain kinda merged the discussions of this thread with the other keto diet thread after stumbling over the metamucil comments a few pages back.
It's relevant, don't worry.
Anyone who thinks a gym thread and nutrition tips don't go together, doesnt understand why they're at the gym.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #184
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
It's relevant, don't worry.
Anyone who thinks a gym thread and nutrition tips don't go together, doesnt understand why they're at the gym.
I think the point was that this was a post about a late night infomercial vegetable spiral maker. If that belongs in this thread, so to does the slapchop, dicer and flowbee. You can see where the CPers will go with this.

Not quite stating they don't belong, but including them is a far bigger stretch than to think that a poster didn't believe nutrition was a part of the discussion.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #185
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this has essentially become the new general gym thread right? Here now, there's a dude on the bench press next to me who keeps standing up and shadow boxing between sets. Not like he's an actual fighter or anything, more looks like he's just getting an endorphin rush and is a bit of a clown so he just does it. Killin me...

When you're doing bench without a spotter and have a case of the giggles, it's a little scary.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #186
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So this has essentially become the new general gym thread right? Here now, there's a dude on the bench press next to me who keeps standing up and shadow boxing between sets. Not like he's an actual fighter or anything, more looks like he's just getting an endorphin rush and is a bit of a clown so he just does it. Killin me...

When you're doing bench without a spotter and have a case of the giggles, it's a little scary.
I've seen that before. It kills me. Speaking of bench with no spotter and the giggles - that's how I tore my rotator cuff many years ago.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 02:07 AM   #187
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Life isn't fair, 16 months ago I was about 40 lbs overweight at 262 lbs and needed hernia surgery, I was told to loose 30 lbs before the operation which ended up being 9 months later. I thought I did well with loosing 27 lbs with a hernia and no real exercise in 9 months, had the surgery, recovered very well, re-joined the gym for regular workouts I couldn't do for about 2 years and feel great.

As of yesterday I now weigh 259 lbs

WTF is that?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #188
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Life isn't fair, 16 months ago I was about 40 lbs overweight at 262 lbs and needed hernia surgery, I was told to loose 30 lbs before the operation which ended up being 9 months later. I thought I did well with loosing 27 lbs with a hernia and no real exercise in 9 months, had the surgery, recovered very well, re-joined the gym for regular workouts I couldn't do for about 2 years and feel great.

As of yesterday I now weigh 259 lbs

WTF is that?
I couldn't really tell from your post what the timeline is from when you started up again and when you weighed in at 259lbs but muscle weighs more than fat so after your initially drop in weight from fat lose, you'll gain muscle mass which will then bring up the weight again, in a good way.
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #189
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I got waaayyyy too fat for my liking after my 2 kids. Joined one of those 40 day challenges at a gym nearby.

3 weeks in and 14lbs & 3% body fat down.

Goal weight is another 18lbs away, but can already see the change in myself. Hell one of my basketball teammates saw me for the first time in 3 weeks the other day and said "you've lost weight, and your body comp has changed - you're more muscular"

I know my weakness is motivation, so I figure going forward I am just going to do semi-private training - that way I have a couple appointments a week that I HAVE to make since I paid for them.
Update on this, lost 23lbs total and won the competition

Got another ~15lbs to go, and am working on some other physical goals I have now too.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #190
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So I've been finding lately with one kid, and another on the way, getting to the gym is tougher and tougher. I recently purchased some power blocks and a bench and have been getting my fix at home. I'd like to get a treadmill next to expand my home gym options, skipping rope is good but I'd like some variety.

Anyone fill me in on what I should be looking for with a treadmill? I went to one of the fitness stores and the guy was trying to talk me into a $2000 model that marathon runners use to train. I don't care about that, I am not a marathon runner. I really enjoy weight lifting and always have, I only do cardio for the health benefits, lol.

I just want something that I can do interval incline sprints on and that will fold up against the wall out of the way when I am not using it.

Any suggestions? i've been looking at Costco mainly as my source. Would like to spend around $1000.00.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #191
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I don’t know what to say, as it is my understanding that the reason people quit using home gym equipment is beacuase thier home version sucks compared to the pro stuff at the gym.

Used may be the way to go, but that is filled with pitfalls as well.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #192
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's too much money, and doesn't fold up, but the Woodway curved treadmill is the ultimate interval treadmill. It's so nice. You'd notice a difference immediately. Please can we get one?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #193
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So I've been finding lately with one kid, and another on the way, getting to the gym is tougher and tougher. I recently purchased some power blocks and a bench and have been getting my fix at home. I'd like to get a treadmill next to expand my home gym options, skipping rope is good but I'd like some variety.

Anyone fill me in on what I should be looking for with a treadmill? I went to one of the fitness stores and the guy was trying to talk me into a $2000 model that marathon runners use to train. I don't care about that, I am not a marathon runner. I really enjoy weight lifting and always have, I only do cardio for the health benefits, lol.

I just want something that I can do interval incline sprints on and that will fold up against the wall out of the way when I am not using it.

Any suggestions? i've been looking at Costco mainly as my source. Would like to spend around $1000.00.
I would get something easier on the joints to be honest treadmills kill your knees have you looked into the bowflex max trainer it is quite easy on the joints but it is pretty high intensity I know I cant use a treadmill or elliptical anymore after using it just seems much more effective but dont buy into the whole it's a full body workout because it isn't at most I use it for cardio and when I'm lazy leg days because it does burn the legs big time
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #194
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I would try Kijiji. There is little difference in the high end models but I highly encourage you to try it out first. Run on it, walk at max incline, etc, as many 'non-industrial' treadmills are VERY different than the industrial ones at the gym.

A woodway is several thousand dollars.

Even the 'regular' treadmills in the gym are ~5k.

Ours (that I don't use) was $500 and originally ~2.5k. It's been perfect for my wife but I find it 'sticky' since I weigh a lot more than she does.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #195
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Have you ever tried jump roping? I already know that for myself, buying an elipitcal or a treadmill for home is just going to end up a waste of money.

Instead, I took up jump roping about 3 years ago, which is now my main cardio workout. I do 1 hour 3 to 4 times a week. It's way easier on the joints as it's low impact. Only thing is, it took me about a month to get over not getting shin splints, as it does take time for your legs to adapt. But once you do, and you learn the boxer skip, it's a ton of fun imo, and keeps things interesting by challenging yourself to learn new tricks. Plus, a jump rope is cheap, and is real easy to take with you when traveling.

Edit:lol, damn, I should learn to read better as I totally missed the part where you mentioned jump roping. Still, I'm a big advocate of it ha ha.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #196
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kijiji must be filled with hundreds of barely used treadmills...right?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #197
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I’m always nervous about buying off kijiji as if it breaks the next day I’m screwed. I also am very anal with my stuff so I know nobodies kijiji equipment will be up to my standards. I don’t mind paying full price for peace of mind.

As for the impact of running I am well aware, I guess I could have specified a bit more, I don’t run marathons but I have run a fair amount of 5-10ks. My best time is 21 minutes for a 5k. I don’t think I could do that again in my late 30s, and I don’t want to try, but I’m familiar with the aspect of running both in and out doors.

I just wanted something I could do some sprints on a few times a week as that is what is most useful for my area of work and my wife would use for regular running, she weighs about 80 pounds less than I do. And still does enjoy training for 10ks as it gives her a goal for fitness.

Thanks for the specific brand recommendations.

How about motor size? Is there a big difference to look for there?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #198
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you may want to try out a manual/non mortorized one too. The flat ones are really cheap. No electricity. Very easy to do intervals. They last forever. If you're buying on Kijiji then you won't have to worry about buying a lemon. They claim to give you a harder workout too and if you've ever tried one you'd likely agree but I'll leave that to the officials here. If you find a comfortable one then you're in business.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #199
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

If buying a treadmill, I would almost always buy new or near new with transferable warranty and option to purchase an extended warranty. Repairs aren't cheap and if used frequently, are bound to have issues.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #200
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what is everyone planning to do during the Covid crises?
Still go to the gym? find alternate exercises to do at home?

I'm avoiding as much public places as possible but no gym is actually the hardest part for me.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote