Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #181
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never will a game involving the wild be so high in demand.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #182
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Special Announcement Coming for March 2 Game vs. Wild UPDATE** Flames retire #12

I’m like 98% happy about this and 2% left with a bitter taste in my mouth because Iggy very clearly cares more about Boston than Calgary.

It’s the right thing to do but still feels a little bit tainted. It’s a little hard to hold him to the same level as guys like Lanny, Conroy, and Theo who have made themselves a part of Calgary, even if he was a more important player to the franchise than all three.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 01-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #183
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just snagged a pair in the first bowl...Regular not re-sale. Let me tell you it still was not cheap but I can't imagine what they will be going for come game day. I grew up watching this man as a kid and he was my childhood idol. I live in Vancouver but I am currently searching for flights. I'll see you gameday CP!

Cheers!
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #184
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Resale on ticketmaster is $240-$380 in the press level right now, per ticket. Flames original prices are $400 in the lower bowl.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #185
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I agree that there are alot of things about Fleury that are hard to like. You obviously have strong feelings about Fleury as a person which you have obviously have every right to. That's also why I don't agree with the jerk test for honoring an athlete's accomplishments. It is entirely subjective and based on your level of knowledge of the person.

Perhaps if you were aware of transgressions and other mistakes that had been made by former Flames already honored you would judge them differently? One of Fleury's biggest problems is his mouth, and the lack of maturity or intelligence or whatever it may be, that leads him to dumb, self serving comments. And it's why his character seems so easy to judge.

But I still believe it comes down to a personal matter between Fleury and the Flames organization. If as others have speculated that he has asked for financial compensation of some kind, well then too bad. He is essentially refusing the honor at that point.

But being a jerk isn't enough for me personally. I'd feel differently if someone put forward evidence that he'd actually harmed others in some way. Of course we've all been guilty of that, but those are the kinds of things that make me reconsider how I view an athlete's contribution to his team or sport.
I've been exposed to enough professional athletes to long ago abandon any notion that a person who is good at putting any sort of object into some sort of repository, or hitting a thing with another thing, makes them a good person. A lot of them aren't. Some of them are and I've had the pleasure of dealing with those folks too. But a lot aren't.

And that's frustrating as these are people that have the opportunity to be role models and have a great impact in this world. Those that do, such as Iginla, I hold in very high esteem.

But I generally agree that one should separate the athlete from the person and most honors should just be focused on their athletic accomplishments and exploits. Frankly otherwise a lot of names would have to come out of the hall of fame.

That being said, my specific objection to Fleury is how he has treated the very same organization that he now wants to honor him. It doesn't strike me as odd that the organization hasn't done it yet.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #186
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Resale on ticketmaster is $240-$380 in the press level right now, per ticket. Flames original prices are $400 in the lower bowl.

Was tons of tickets under $100 right after the original tweet went out. Didn't pull the trigger cause I wasn't 100% sure what the Flames plan was (figured they'd botch it). Lame.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #187
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy that the 3 best players in Flames history: Iginla, Fleury, and MacInnis currently do not have their jerseys retired.

Nice to see Iginla will be honoured soon and I hope Fleury is next. I know Fleury has been a bit of a dick however being one of the greatest Flames ever all while dealing with horrible trauma is more than enough for me.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #188
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't go to that game and have posted my seats on ticketmaster. If anyone is interested in saving the $56 per seat that they charge, and would like to purchase direct from me, send me a PM.

Seats are section 225 row 7
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #189
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1085659220165312512

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #190
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they are not retiring him against Minnesota, they are just announcing it?

Nevermind, I am an idiot.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #191
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up a pair of tickets on fanfirst for $330. I haven't been to a game in forever and just had to!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #192
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got a pair in 102 for $530 all in... regular, not verified resale or whatever. If I can't go I will list them on CP for what I paid for them.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #193
dwd5150
Draft Pick

@bluck I just bought a pair in 221 low for the same price as yours. How did you find them in 102 for that price?
dwd5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #194
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd5150 View Post
@bluck I just bought a pair in 221 low for the same price as yours. How did you find them in 102 for that price?
I honestly have no clue. I thought it was a mistake which is why I checked it twice..but I guess not. There is a single seat left in that section for $263.35. Just got lucky I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #195
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generally, 200 level rows 3-10 (between the goal lines) are the same as non-club lower bowl. "Red" section
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #196
dwd5150
Draft Pick

@RM14 maybe the non-club lower bowl at that price has some obstructed view?
I know I was at a game with my Dad and brother in lower bowl corner seats about 8 rows from the ice, and I was surprised how the corner glass distorted the views of the play on the ice.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #197
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO the only numbers that should be retired are #9 and #12.

We should have a ring of honour with #30, #2, #25, #7, #14, #34, #28, #20, #29, and #24.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #198
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is the view from the seats I got. Not to bad I don't think. Not sure why it won't upload on here. See link below.

https://imgur.com/a/zEPTwZA

Last edited by bluck; 01-16-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #199
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
Here is the view from the seats I got. Not to bad I don't think. Not sure why it won't upload on here. See link below.

https://imgur.com/a/zEPTwZA
I think that's the end the ceremony will be. Or centre ice..
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #200
dwd5150
Draft Pick

@bluck - looks like pretty sweet seats - you'll have a great view of the Iggy ceremony, which should make up for having to watch the Minnesota Wild play hockey.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwd5150 For This Useful Post: