Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #181
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
I am excited to get out and support the team, however I am a bit worried about the talent level. I feel like we are no where near the top right now. Closer to 4th or 5th place. I am not at all convinced with our midfield. Really need a good couple of signings. Hopefully I am just worried for nothing as there is still lots of time to improve the squad. Or I am just a terrible judge of talent and we go out and win the thing with what we have.
The lack of offensive reinforcements is puzzling. Clearly, there have been, and still are, major issues with scoring and creativity, especially when Sergio Camargo gets injured yet again.

I wouldn't put Cavalry at the top of the CPL like previous years as a prediction.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #182
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CSA has a "Head of Women's Proessional Soccer" job posting up now. Maybe there's a Cavalry WFC coming in a few years?

https://canadasoccer.com/news/head-o...r-job-posting/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #183
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The CSA has a "Head of Women's Proessional Soccer" job posting up now. Maybe there's a Cavalry WFC coming in a few years?

https://canadasoccer.com/news/head-o...r-job-posting/
All they need is 8 very high worth individuals/corporations.

Some people on Twitter are acting like this will be a price of cake simply because the Canadian women made the olympics.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #184
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
I am excited to get out and support the team, however I am a bit worried about the talent level. I feel like we are no where near the top right now. Closer to 4th or 5th place. I am not at all convinced with our midfield. Really need a good couple of signings. Hopefully I am just worried for nothing as there is still lots of time to improve the squad. Or I am just a terrible judge of talent and we go out and win the thing with what we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
The lack of offensive reinforcements is puzzling. Clearly, there have been, and still are, major issues with scoring and creativity, especially when Sergio Camargo gets injured yet again.

I wouldn't put Cavalry at the top of the CPL like previous years as a prediction.
Yeah I’m looking forward to going and for everything that comes with that. I also think we’re not near the top though. It’s fun to see the consistency and same players back, but at the same time it’s a bit underwhelming because we weren’t good enough last season or the one before. I’m hoping we see some new blood and that adds to some of our younger guys to close the gap.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #185
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah I’m looking forward to going and for everything that comes with that. I also think we’re not near the top though. It’s fun to see the consistency and same players back, but at the same time it’s a bit underwhelming because we weren’t good enough last season or the one before. I’m hoping we see some new blood and that adds to some of our younger guys to close the gap.
Bobby S. of Forge said CPL squads have a life cycle of 2-3 years. It feels like Cavalry is past that..
Old 02-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #186
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say about this squad given that there are still 6 players to sign but it looks awfully similar to last year's squad. So I'd expect similar results. But IMO they are for sure a playoff team based on who's back.

No squad really looks that great this year so far, and I really only think Ottawa has improved on paper. I think Forge and Pacific both look a little bit weaker, and HFX, Valour and York are all meh. And we know Edmonton will finish bottom as they should.

Last edited by shermanator; 02-16-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #187
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
All they need is 8 very high worth individuals/corporations.

Some people on Twitter are acting like this will be a price of cake simply because the Canadian women made the olympics.
Agreed, the league will happen when the appropriate people want to invest in a league. But it is an important step to actually look into this stuff and formulate a plan on how to get it off the ground.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #188
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m torn between wanting a decent performance out of a CPL side and wanting Cruz Azul to put 10 past Forge

Concacaf Champions League is one of the craziest competitions out there, so glad it is back!

One day I hope it is Cavalry hosting CCL matches in the middle of February at Spruce Meadows

Last edited by M*A*S*H 4077; 02-16-2022 at 05:57 PM.
M*A*S*H 4077 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #189
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Tristan Henry. I see he’s in mid season form
Old 02-16-2022, 06:52 PM   #190
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolute shocker of a goal let in by Henry. You love to see it!

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status...24474442125312

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #191
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Oh

https://twitter.com/user/status/1494129723248549889
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #192
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Absolute shocker of a goal let in by Henry. You love to see it!

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status...24474442125312
I'm always shocked how often he is listed as one of the top keepers in the league. Probably 4th at best in my book.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:58 PM   #193
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge should really be going after Sirois or someone else on a loan. They owe it to the rest of the roster
Old 02-16-2022, 11:05 PM   #194
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to say about this squad given that there are still 6 players to sign but it looks awfully similar to last year's squad. So I'd expect similar results. But IMO they are for sure a playoff team based on who's back.

No squad really looks that great this year so far, and I really only think Ottawa has improved on paper. I think Forge and Pacific both look a little bit weaker, and HFX, Valour and York are all meh. And we know Edmonton will finish bottom as they should.
I agree with all of this, though I do think that Forge is still the deepest team and their presumed lack of CONCACAF participation over the summer will help them in the league. But they definitely aren't head and shoulders above the next 3 or 4 teams.

These are the questions I have regarding whether we are title contenders:

- How much of a drop off will there be from Mo Farsi to Fraser Aird?
- Who will replace Yao's minutes and performances? Is a CB group of Klomp, "M." Trafford and potentially Norman Jr. enough? This is a hole that needs to be filled.
- Who is our #10? Will it be Camargo with a return to his 2019-esque form and an injury free (or at least injury reduced) season? Charlie Trafford? Someone else?
- What might a fit Joe Mason with an entire pre-season under his belt mean?
- What about a fit Tom Field?
- What will Loturi's game look like with a full season as a pro under his belt?
- Will the injuries that plagued the team last season (and during the Island Games) be a thing of the past now that we have a proper calendar to play a 28 game season?

Like Sherm, I put us in the top 4 on paper but I think the table is gonna be tighter from 7th to the top.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #195
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like today's announcement will be the signing of Charlie Trafford. Played attacking mid when he was in Finland years ago, but was a defensive minded centre mid in Scotland.

He's a very good player for this league, but I'm not sure he addresses the glaring need in attack. If they aim to play him in attacking mid and Norman at CB we still have Di Chiara, Adekugbe, Simmons and Loturi in a similar role.

It really sounds like Cavalry are building the same squad, yet expecting a different result?

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/sta...12175430737922

Last edited by shermanator; 02-17-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #196
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1494340899463045133
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #197
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see Cavalry add a player with a hammer for a foot. Even if their slow like malonga.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #198
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...39688785592330

Old 02-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #199
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good signing. Charlie came to some of my clubs sessions during his off season. The ball always goes through him…he can really dictate possession in games. Physical player too.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:49 AM   #200
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jordan Brown just signed with the new League1 Ontario club in Peterborough. I know they've stated their intention of getting into CPL one day and signings like this really back that up.

https://twitter.com/ElectricCityFC/s...08597615476744

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good