Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #181
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Peters should be fired for either the team under-performing or because they confirm that this accusation is true.
But this notion that this gives GMBT or the team an "out" to get rid of Peters is a horrible thought.
Either fire him for not getting the job done, or for using a racist term. Don't use the latter for the former.
It's pretty hard to fire Peters for performance now...these allegations will be linked to any dismissal
Old 11-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #182
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I suspect tomorrow that one of Geoff Ward or Ryan Huska will be named Interim Coach until the matter is resolved.
That could be a good move. The Flames as an organization demonstrate taking it seriously. Gives the team a chance to reboot, and if Ward or Huska turn the team around, there's a chance to just let Peters go later based on what's best for the team without attributing clear blame in a messy situation. To top it off, there would still be another opportunity to hire a new, permanent replacement coach later in the season.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #183
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Flat out disagree with your entire post. Who cares about a slippery slope. Shine on a light on the problem and expose it all.
Agreed, #### those coaches. A lot of hockey culture is toxic as hell and should be tossed out.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #184
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post

I was just thinking the same. Huska, Ward or slim chance the Gelinas takes the reigns until they find a permanent replacement. Ward has a much longer NHL resume than Huska and won a Cup as an assistant with the Bruins. I’d assume he’ll take over. Devils advocate: what available coach out there would you like hired on a permanent basis? And please don’t say Babcock. Also, is this a Mike Richards situation where his contract could be terminated or will Flames owners have to keep paying Peters if he’s fired?

Darryl Sutter - I think the Flames are the only team that he would come out of retirement for to coach again. He has a good relationship with the Flames owners, and they supposedly wanted him to coach after the Gulutzan firing. He's working as an advisor to the Ducks coaching staff though.

Ward probably takes over if the allegations are true. Pretty unfortunate situation all around.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #185
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, disappointing to hear this.

After the outing of Babcock stories, I am sure there's going to be a hockey coach me-too movement coming.

If this is how these men act behind the closed dressing room good riddance.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #186
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well they can't fire him for using a racist term on the word of one player without a proper investigation, it opens the Flames up to a huge law suit. So people that are salivating over Peter's being shown the door tonight are going to be sorely dissapointed.

I doubt the Flames were looking at firing him for the teams performance 28 games into his second season, especially after the first season that he had. Peters was safe until at least the off season and possibly more.

This is going to be a slow burn anchor on the team for the next weeks or months. The Lawyers will tell the Flames to absolutely not fire him until they get substantive proof of this, and that comes out to how many players or former coaches that will come out on his Akim's side.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #187
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
As a parent its hard to convey how bad a word it is when it's said 1000 times in popular music and tv. Many kids just consider it a good old fashioned swear word.

I don't allow songs with that word in the dressing room (coach kids) but I certainly wouldn't use the word to get that point across.
Weak argument past adulthood, though. Maybe a kid says it and then you have a teaching moment where you can discuss things like context and history. Plus, I doubt Bill Peters is a big streamer of the RapCaviar playlist on Spotify so I'm not going to buy that he heard YBN Cordae say it on his newest track and didn't understand the gravity of saying it himself.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #188
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I was just thinking the same. Huska, Ward or slim chance the Gelinas takes the reigns until they find a permanent replacement. Ward has a much longer NHL resume than Huska and won a Cup as an assistant with the Bruins. I’d assume he’ll take over. Devils advocate: what available coach out there would you like hired on a permanent basis? And please don’t say Babcock. Also, is this a Mike Richards situation where his contract could be terminated or will Flames owners have to keep paying Peters if he’s fired?
I also believe Ward would take over in an interim basis.

In a pinch, if I were to make the call (I assume ownership would be doing it this time due to Treliving's already spotty record with coach hirings) Darryl is the easy answer as he's local, already familiar with ownership and is responsible for acquiring our current top D pairing. And would only come back to coach a local team anyway as I remember he wanted to spend more time with his son Chris.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #189
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Ugh, disappointing to hear this.

After the outing of Babcock stories, I am sure there's going to be a hockey coach me-too movement coming.

If this is how these men act behind the closed dressing room good riddance.
I was one of the few who misread the initial post linking these two. But there are a lot of ####ty coaches out there, and plenty of great ones. The sport could use a good weeding.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #190
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I suspect tomorrow that one of Geoff Ward or Ryan Huska will be named Interim Coach until the matter is resolved.

I doubt that's going to happen at all. You can't hang a man based on accusations.

Doing stuff like that without actual for real proof is going to open the Flames up to a Lawsuit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #191
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Isn’t Darryl an old school motivator as well?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #192
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Isn’t Darryl an old school motivator as well?
Yeah, but he’s actually good at it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #193
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I doubt that's going to happen at all. You can't hang a man based on accusations.

Doing stuff like that without actual for real proof is going to open the Flames up to a Lawsuit.
They can easily justify a paid LOA while they gather facts and talk to people before making a final decision.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #194
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well they can't fire him for using a racist term on the word of one player without a proper investigation, it opens the Flames up to a huge law suit. So people that are salivating over Peter's being shown the door tonight are going to be sorely dissapointed.

I doubt the Flames were looking at firing him for the teams performance 28 games into his second season, especially after the first season that he had. Peters was safe until at least the off season and possibly more.

This is going to be a slow burn anchor on the team for the next weeks or months. The Lawyers will tell the Flames to absolutely not fire him until they get substantive proof of this, and that comes out to how many players or former coaches that will come out on his Akim's side.
So they can suspend him until things are cleared up?
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #195
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I think it’s likely true in some fashion anyway. I just don’t see the reason for smoke here unless there’s fire.

So, what if he said “turn that music off - I don’t like it because it keeps saying N———“. I heard some older dude say something along those lines just the other day “that music... it’s all N—— this or N—- that”. We all just gaped but he had no clue he couldn’t say even that.

Or what if he says “yeah, I used the word, and it was totally wrong. I regret it, I never did it again, and I apologize to Akim and anyone else who heard it, and to everyone I’ve disappointed.”

Do the Flames can him then? Keep in mind, they can always do it - just whether it’s for cause or not will be the difference.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #196
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would they be open to a lawsuit? Coaches can be fired at the whim of the GMs, they'll just have to pay out the remainder of his contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #197
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, probably sour grapes from a garbage player. PC brigade is certainly out for blood though.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #198
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Meh, probably sour grapes from a garbage player. PC brigade is certainly out for blood though.
This has the potential to age well.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #199
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are in a tough spot now, even with only one accusation, how do you even entertain keeping Peters? It would be a PR disaster.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #200
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reminder that this same thing happened with John Vanbiesbrouk and Trevor Daly when VanBiesbrouk was with Windsor.

Vanbiesbrouk is now with USAHockey.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote