Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #181
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

With all the people at the rally, yelling, clapping, circulating air, you'd think they're telling Trump not to do it because he could get it. Then again, he's on HCQ and bleach so he should be fine.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #182
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad he’s not on HCL.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:21 AM   #183
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pence keeps saying "all lives matter" and refuses to say BLM. Really? this is what they are going with?

I think Trumps rallies will actually fire up people to vote Biden...all those clowns at the rally are already voting for him...I mean they are literally risking their lives to listen to his BS so they are in the bag. All the horrible soundbites will make for good attack ads aimed at reasonable people.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #184
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Pence keeps saying "all lives matter" and refuses to say BLM. Really? this is what they are going with?

I think Trumps rallies will actually fire up people to vote Biden...all those clowns at the rally are already voting for him...I mean they are literally risking their lives to listen to his BS so they are in the bag. All the horrible soundbites will make for good attack ads aimed at reasonable people.
I don't think that kind of stuff gets circulated among people who aren't already going to vote Democrat (or nothing).

The biggest hurdle in US politics is getting people to vote, and to do that, you have to convince them that their vote matters.

A lot of people still believe that Trump is not actually significantly different from previous presidents, just more entertaining, that it's all the same year in year out, Democrats screaming about Republicans and Republicans screaming about Democrats, and in the end none of it really matters because they're all pretty much the same.

This is actually one reason why many people think it's perfectly fine to vote for someone "because they seem like a decent guy". If you don't think there's a significant difference between the parties, which is what way too many people believe, then personal character becomes the only thing that matters. If you think Democrats and Republicans are really all just the same and it doesn't matter to you who the president is, then you're not likely to bother voting at all.

The Republicans have a large hardcore base that adamantly believes "the libs" will destroy the country if they're not stopped. Trump is playing to that base. He needs to whip his people into a frenzy once again.

Cynicism on the other hand is the biggest enemy the Democrats have in this election. Biden is not a very exciting candidate, his personality is not going to bring people to the booths. The Democrats need to convince people that competence matters and that the country would NOT be in such chaos all the time if they got to be in power. Yes it's good to remind people that Trump is genuinely an incredibly bad president and complete garbage as a human being, but the Dems have to do it in a way which doesn't make them look like his counterparts on the other side. They can't look like they're just another bunch of screaming heads crying about the death of America. Otherwise they run the risk of people becoming too cynical to vote.

(Of course objectively speaking the GOP IS trying to destroy democracy in America, establish one party rule and wind back the clock in equality and civil rights by decades while turning the country into an even more of a militarized kleptocracy (while the Democrats can only be accused of that last part), but I think the people who are going to understand this have mostly already understood this and are locked voters.)
Old 06-20-2020, 06:22 AM   #185
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The Trump situation would be at least 60% more hilarious if it wasn't for the horrifyingly unethical behavior of Barr and McConnell
The even more tragic part is neither actually give a #### from an ideological or personal position. It's all just cynical politics.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #186
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1274194312696401920

https://twitter.com/user/status/1274202950102114304

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #187
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump cultists: "Don't take a knee and disrespect out goddamn flag and anthem"
Also Trump cultists:

Old 06-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #188
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'Wednesday night massacre' as Trump appointee takes over at global media agency

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/media...ack/index.html

Quote:
The heads of four organizations overseen by the US Agency for Global Media (USAGM) were all dismissed Wednesday night -- a move likely to heighten concerns that new Trump-appointed CEO Michael Pack intends to turn the agency into a political arm of the administration.

In what a former official described as a "Wednesday night massacre," the heads of Middle East Broadcasting, Radio Free Asia, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, and the Open Technology Fund were all ousted, multiple sources told CNN

In addition, Jeffrey Shapiro, an ally of the ultra-conservative former Trump White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, is expected to be named to lead the Office of Cuba Broadcasting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...25a_story.html
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #189
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, Trump is not having a good week. Two big losses at the Supreme Court, and now this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bolton...udge-1.5620785

Quote:
A federal judge ruled Saturday that former U.S. national security adviser John Bolton can move forward in publishing his tell-all book despite efforts by the Trump administration to block the release because of concerns that classified information could be exposed. The decision from U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth is a victory for Bolton in a court case that involved core First Amendment and national security concerns.

The ruling means a broader election-year readership and distribution of a memoir that paints an unflattering portrait of President Donald Trump's foreign policy decision-making during the turbulent year-and-a-half that Bolton spent in the White House.

"While Bolton's unilateral conduct raises grave national security concerns, the government has not established that an injunction is an appropriate remedy," Lamberth said in his ruling.
Quote:
In a tweet shortly after the decision was released, Trump charged again that Bolton was releasing classified information. "He must pay a very big price for this, as others have before him," Trump said. "This should never to happen again!!!"
Old 06-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #190
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish protestors would take over a Trump rally. A big group should get in line and get tickets and make the point that they're allowed to be there to see their president. It would cause massive hemorrhagic fever on the Trump side and I don't think there's much they could do.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #191
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

What do you even say anymore?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1274355082402955269
Old 06-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #192
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I really wish protestors would take over a Trump rally. A big group should get in line and get tickets and make the point that they're allowed to be there to see their president. It would cause massive hemorrhagic fever on the Trump side and I don't think there's much they could do.
Yes, there is something they can do..........in the great democracy of America, you just arrest them.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1274382833641873408
Old 06-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #193
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
'Wednesday night massacre' as Trump appointee takes over at global media agency

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/media...ack/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...25a_story.html
Quote:
The U.S. Agency for Global Media is an independent federal agency overseeing public service media networks that provide unbiased news and information in countries where the press is restricted.
This is actually kind of important. It's the conscious addition of bias in direct opposition to their mission statement, and covers all public broadcasting. Corruption of all avenues of journalism are now outwardly effected in the States. A bit of a problem.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #194
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Nothing sadly. When you are that profoundly blind and dumb there's really no help for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #195
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People like this only further cement my belief that America needs to be broken up into two countries. There is a very significant amount of people down there who simply don't want to live in reality. So let them have their fantasy country so everyone else don't have to be dragged down by them.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-20-2020 at 11:41 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #196
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, there is something they can do..........in the great democracy of America, you just arrest them.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1274382833641873408

Yeah I saw that. I think she did it wrong. I think she was protesting. You have to play by the rules. You're not there to protest. You're there to see your president. Wear your Biden shirt. Wave a normal US flag. Stand in line. Do not say a thing to anyone. I'm not sure there's much they could do. Especially if there are hundreds of you.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #197
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump is having quite a meltdown about this Bolton book.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1274366497360613381
Old 06-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #198
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah I saw that. I think she did it wrong. I think she was protesting. You have to play by the rules. You're not there to protest. You're there to see your president. Wear your Biden shirt. Wave a normal US flag. Stand in line. Do not say a thing to anyone. I'm not sure there's much they could do. Especially if there are hundreds of you.
I don't necessarily blame the police for this though if it's essentially a private event on rented property where the organizer can kick out anyone they want. I wonder, is that the terms of the event and tickets?

If the organizer has that right, the police don't have much choice once she's requested to leave and refuses. It's still awful though, for a president's campaign to just mirror the president's lack of respect for peaceful protest.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #199
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just hearing that 6 members of Trump's Tulsa team tested positive for covid.

And yeah I guess it is a private event. That would explain the homogenous crowds.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #200
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Saturday super spreader! TM
Closed Thread