Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2024, 09:49 PM   #261
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
There isn't a single player who does that in baseball. Maybe a pitcher but even then one player doesn't make that much of a marked improvement to a team this bad.
7.7 WAR

The Jays have been dressing guys with negative WAR almost all season, so lets say 8 extra wins

Jays would be 81-73 and in the wild card
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #262
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

White Sox have lost 120. 6 games to go.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 09:57 PM   #263
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
White Sox have lost 120. 6 games to go.
3 left vs the Angels and 3 vs the now in the playoffs Tigers. I so badly want 3 more losses if not more.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:01 PM   #264
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohtani 53 HR 55 steals with 6 games to go. Completely blowing away what anyone thought was possible.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:37 AM   #265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Ohtani 53 HR 55 steals with 6 games to go. Completely blowing away what anyone thought was possible.
you watch Ohtani hit and wonder, how does he barely hit .300? He should be close to .400! Maybe if he shortened his swing a little?

I guess if you watch him everyday, there's at least an 0 for 4 or 0 for 5 once a week, that seems impossible.

Old 09-23-2024, 09:41 AM   #266
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Yeah. Judge only has 55 HR. I wonder what the most steals someone has had who led mlb in HR (or even their league, which Ohtani will do)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 10:55 AM   #267
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Yeah. Judge only has 55 HR. I wonder what the most steals someone has had who led mlb in HR (or even their league, which Ohtani will do)
I think it's ARod in 2007 54/24

Old 09-23-2024, 01:02 PM   #268
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
the now in the playoffs Tigers.

This is a story that should be told more. While a Jays fan first, I have started following the Tigers the last couple of years as our local AAA team (Mud Hens) is their affiliate and have sent to Detroit many of their prominent players this year.

9.5 games back of the Wild Card as recently as Aug 22 to now having a 1.0 GM lead on the Twins and tied with the Royals. Highlights a huge resurgence in Detroit and massive potential choke jobs from both Minnesota and Kansas City. Reminds me of the 2007 Colorado Rockies
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 02:56 PM   #269
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
This is a story that should be told more. While a Jays fan first, I have started following the Tigers the last couple of years as our local AAA team (Mud Hens) is their affiliate and have sent to Detroit many of their prominent players this year.

9.5 games back of the Wild Card as recently as Aug 22 to now having a 1.0 GM lead on the Twins and tied with the Royals. Highlights a huge resurgence in Detroit and massive potential choke jobs from both Minnesota and Kansas City. Reminds me of the 2007 Colorado Rockies
I think there's a bit of an asterix there though. The AL central is sending 3 teams to the playoffs this year (and looks like the first non-playoff team is from that division as well). An extra 6-7 games against the historically bad White Sox is an advantage that's probably worth a few extra wins.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:28 PM   #270
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's Canseco with his 40/40 campaign. Pretty sure he led the league with 42 homeruns and had 40 steals.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2024, 05:53 PM   #271
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think there's a bit of an asterix there though. The AL central is sending 3 teams to the playoffs this year (and looks like the first non-playoff team is from that division as well). An extra 6-7 games against the historically bad White Sox is an advantage that's probably worth a few extra wins.
In a sample size this small it's worth 1-2 wins more than against the other last place teams.

It's not like Detroit closed ground on everyone else because the had 10 of 25 games vs the White Sox. It's like 4 of their last 43 in which they're 29-14. They've also had the Angels, Rockies, and A's in there too. But you still have to beat the bad teams and maybe they're record early on was skewed because they had more games versus better teams.

It's not like the days where Division teams played each other 18 times and the Blue Jays could win 87 games by beating the Orioles 16 times.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:24 PM   #272
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
In a sample size this small it's worth 1-2 wins more than against the other last place teams.

It's not like Detroit closed ground on everyone else because the had 10 of 25 games vs the White Sox. It's like 4 of their last 43 in which they're 29-14. They've also had the Angels, Rockies, and A's in there too. But you still have to beat the bad teams and maybe they're record early on was skewed because they had more games versus better teams.

It's not like the days where Division teams played each other 18 times and the Blue Jays could win 87 games by beating the Orioles 16 times.
I agree with the math that its probably only worth ~2 wins, but I also think there's a good chance one of the AL central teams will make the post season by 2 games or less.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:38 PM   #273
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with the math that its probably only worth ~2 wins, but I also think there's a good chance one of the AL central teams will make the post season by 2 games or less.
Make or miss? 3 AL Central teams likely get in. It's not like the White Sox lost 120 games because their Division was brutally difficult. The 4 AL Central teams are above average and still would be if the Jays and White Sox switched places. It will have more to do with the fact that the Mariners sucked badly enough that they couldn't take advantage of Division with a weak team in Texas and two bad ones.
Old 09-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #274
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think it's ARod in 2007 54/24
I can't think of anyone higher than Canseco listed above, but a few other HR leaders that I could find that swiped more than Arod's 24 would include

Larry Walker 1997 - 33 steals
Hank Aaron 1963 - 31 steals
Barry Bonds 1993- 29 steals

I guess all of which underscores how ridiculous Ohtani's stat line is
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 07:46 PM   #275
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have nothing of substance to add other than Larry Walker was incredible. That 97 season is one of the best all time.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2024, 12:26 AM   #276
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2024, 12:27 PM   #277
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1838222555569639692

Old 09-24-2024, 12:58 PM   #278
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I have nothing of substance to add other than Larry Walker was incredible. That 97 season is one of the best all time.
what was even more impressive with Larry Walker was when he was informed he would be going in the HOF, he was rocking a fantastic sponge bob shirt. classic
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 10:55 PM   #279
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Los dodgers just hit into a game-ending triple play.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:56 AM   #280
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Angels blew a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 8th. White Sox avoid their record setting 121st loss.