Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2024, 11:50 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The End of an Era - Russians Removed!!

Quote:
Friends, the National Hockey League’s pre-season can be a lot of fun. The games aren’t really high stakes. You get to see top prospects (and obscure try-out players) dip their toes into the NHL game a bit. And the NHL’s official roster sheets feature everybody on an NHL team’s training camp roster and reserve list, resulting in comedically-long lists of scratched players.
https://flamesnation.ca/news/the-end...s-reserve-list

A few notables? But go read the article....

- Andrei Medvedev - He could have had a shot this season!
- Andrei Taratukhin - There were openings...
- Ruslan Zainullin - I thought he was due to break out! Maybe even save our season!

Once again, a little fun from Ryan Pike.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2024, 11:56 AM   #2
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, I was just commenting on this in the off-season. I decided to take a walk down the memory lane of their stat lines. Some of those guys had halfway decent careers. Others...not so much.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:00 PM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still only 70% convinced that Ruslan Zainullin even exists.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 12:01 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Andrei Medvedev....trying to disprove the 'NHL Sumo Wrestler Goaltender' theory one burger at a time...

I totally forgot about Taratukhin.

But I just love Zainullin's name!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 09-23-2024, 12:03 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm still only 70% convinced that Ruslan Zainullin even exists.
70%?

I'm more of a 50/50 man myself...

Old 09-23-2024, 01:07 PM   #6
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who was the guy we got back for Marc Savard?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 01:27 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruslan Zainullin
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #8
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I always look at Martin St.Louis as the worst player that got away for nothing in flames history but thinking about it, other teams passed on him too- Ottawa I believe and maybe others. Savard? You chose Greg Gilbert over Savard and for Zainullin??! That has to be the dumber move than St.Louis actually.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:56 PM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
I always look at Martin St.Louis as the worst player that got away for nothing in flames history but thinking about it, other teams passed on him too- Ottawa I believe and maybe others. Savard? You chose Greg Gilbert over Savard and for Zainullin??! That has to be the dumber move than St.Louis actually.
this is why nobody listens to Craig Button on tv. this and the Turek contract

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2024, 01:58 PM   #10
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
had both St. Louis and J.S. Giguere in the system in the late 90s. That still sucks.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2024, 01:59 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
had both St. Louis and J.S. Giguere in the system in the late 90s. That still sucks.
Thats just part of being a Flames fan.

Part and parcel.

Old 09-23-2024, 04:03 PM   #12
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're curious, here's the full list of "scratches" for last night's game in Seattle...
Quote:
Mikael Backlund, Nazem Kadri, Tyson Barrie, Jarred Tinordi, Blake Coleman, Jonathan Huberdeau, Rushan Rafikov, MacKenzie Weegar, Anthony Mantha, Joel Hanley, Justin Kirkland, Rasmus Andersson, Dan Vladar, Pavel Karnaukhov, Ryan Lomberg, Alex Gallant, Kevin Bahl, Martin Pospisil, Demetrios Koumontzis, Yegor Sharangovich, Jonathan Aspirot, Ilya Nikolaev, Trevor Janicke, Connor Zary, Yan Kuznetsov, Joni Jurmo, Jake Boltmann, Rory Kerins, Devin Cooley, Ilya Solovyov, Daniil Chechelev, Daniil Miromanov, Walker Duehr, Lucas Ciona, Arsenii Sergeev, Cade Littler, Parker Bell, Andrei Kuzmenko, Jaden Lipinski, Etienne Morin, Aydar Suniev, Matt Radomsky, Yegor Yegorov, Axel Hurtig, Luke McNamara, Eric Jamieson, Henry Mews, Andrew Basha, Jacob Battaglia, Luke Misa, David Silye, Waltteri Ignatjew, Kirill Zarubin, Trevor Hoskin, Hunter Laing
I know Boltmann went back for another year of College, but I still don't understand how the Flames apparently continue to own the rights to Koumontzis.
Old 09-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #13
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He fired the coach anyways.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2024, 04:24 PM   #14
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wondered where Andrei Taratukhin went.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 05:11 PM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I wondered where Andrei Taratukhin went.
He apparently had trouble adjusting to the North American lifestyle and toiling in the minors with no guarantee of it paying off into an NHL career, wasn't worth the stress. At least he gave it a shot and I can respect that moving far away from home just didn't work for him.
Old 09-23-2024, 07:47 PM   #16
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He apparently had trouble adjusting to the North American lifestyle and toiling in the minors with no guarantee of it paying off into an NHL career, wasn't worth the stress. At least he gave it a shot and I can respect that moving far away from home just didn't work for him.
There were difficulties for his wife and kids getting visas, so they were back home. Kids were quite young too.

From what I heard.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 09:45 PM   #17
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

St Louis was a guy that admits himself that he got a lot better after leaving Calgary. Was stupid to buy him out but it was more bad luck that he blew up in Tampa Bay.

Savard already had 50 and 60 point seasons as a Flames player, was 25 years old, and you traded him for a former 2nd round pick that had shown nothing in Russia.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2024, 09:31 AM   #18
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup.

St Louis was a guy that admits himself that he got a lot better after leaving Calgary. Was stupid to buy him out but it was more bad luck that he blew up in Tampa Bay.

Savard already had 50 and 60 point seasons as a Flames player, was 25 years old, and you traded him for a former 2nd round pick that had shown nothing in Russia.
But if we kept St. Louis, maybe we win the Cup. Not because he ends up being the same player with the Flames but because Tampa doesn't have him.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2024, 01:57 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Ruslan Zainullin
Can he run a Powerplay tho?