Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2024, 03:21 PM   #441
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If there is a political or ideological reasons for committing acts of violence on someone, that can be considered terrorism. The FBI considers domestic terrorism to be "violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature." And while CSIS, CSE and the RCMP itself does not have an overt definition easily available, being a member in the Five Eyes means they likely interpret domestic terrorism the same way as their sister intelligence agencies.

Targeting the LGBTQ2S+ community for the very fact of who they are and threatening violence - just like the knife attack at the University of Waterloo (where the attacker is now facing 11 terrorism charges) - is very much in the terrorism category.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2024, 03:32 PM   #442
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I completely understand an organization cancelling an event due to harassment, but part of me also kinda says f### it...just go ahead with the event and call the cowards' bluff.

Of course I don't know the full details, but it really bothers me that a bunch of these events and initiatives can be defeated by a group of idiots so easily.

I was curious about this, as such a last minute cancellation seems like an odd thing. A lot of the involved groups are going forward with their thing anyhow, just not under the Fredericton Pride umbrella.

And...a lot of this is just online stuff, between Instagram, X and Facebook...and I don't have enough interest to do a lot more digging, but this cancellation actually seems more like it involves internal community drama over actual threats from outside groups. I've looked into it about as much as I am interested to do so, though.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 07-12-2024 at 03:38 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2024, 08:17 AM   #443
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Except that these people are actually crazy, and CSIS thinks them a threat. So it then becomes life-risking.

Quote:
CSIS warns that the 'anti-gender movement' poses a threat of 'extreme violence'

Canada's intelligence agency is warning that extremists could "inspire and encourage" serious violence against the 2SLGBTQI+ community — a threat the Canadian Security Intelligence Service says almost certainly will continue over the coming year.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csi...ence-1.7114801

I hope they investigate these threats and these losers see justice.
They added more to their acronym? What does the '2' stand for?

I gotta say, this acronym gets longer all the time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 08:21 AM   #444
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Two Spirit is used by some indigenous north american cultures, and can relate to gender identities, sexual orientation and social roles. And that acronym has been in the lexicon for a few years now.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 11:18 AM   #445
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free speech crusader Elon Musk silences hundreds of LGBTQ+ accounts without explanation.

Quote:
Last Thursday, on Independence Day, a startling and unexplained silence fell over Pink Media and the #ILoveGay network on X, the platform formerly known asTwitter. They had a reach spanning over 1 million followers, so the abrupt suspension of their more than 250 profiles shut down a leading voice in LGBTQ+ marketing.
https://www.advocate.com/news/x-suspends-pink-media
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 12:55 PM   #446
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Free speech crusader Elon Musk silences hundreds of LGBTQ+ accounts without explanation.

https://www.advocate.com/news/x-suspends-pink-media
I know I might get flamed for making a generalization, but Musk is a white South African. Is anyone really surprised?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 09:10 PM   #447
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Probably because The American College of Pediatricians is a hate group and in no way should be confused with the 100 year old and legitimate American Academy of Pediatrics
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 10:48 PM   #448
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Is this being (correctly) treated like the literal domestic terrorism that it is, or do the authorities only do that for Muslims but not bigoted white people?
Colour of skin buddy, colour of skin. They'll just shut down the event and call it a day. When brown skin does bad that's when you see all hands on deck to capture and punish.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:32 AM   #449
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I completely understand an organization cancelling an event due to harassment, but part of me also kinda says f### it...just go ahead with the event and call the cowards' bluff.

Of course I don't know the full details, but it really bothers me that a bunch of these events and initiatives can be defeated by a group of idiots so easily.

From what I’ve read they were also inviting pro-Palestine groups to participate in the parade, and actively refusing donations from businesses that refused to cut ties with Israel.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 01:21 PM   #450
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except that these people are actually crazy, and CSIS thinks them a threat. So it then becomes life-risking.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csi...ence-1.7114801

I hope they investigate these threats and these losers see justice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
From what I’ve read they were also inviting pro-Palestine groups to participate in the parade, and actively refusing donations from businesses that refused to cut ties with Israel.
Just add a P and an I to the acronym and we've solved a War.

Lets get to it!

Might have to amend the flag a little.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 09:26 AM   #451
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rans-children/

More on the Cass Report in the UK that is having disastrous outcomes on trans healthcare, and is likely going to be pointed to by many on the anti trans side.

Quote:
The methodology underpinning the Cass Review has been extensively criticized by medical experts and academics from a range of disciplines. Criticism has focused especially on the effect of bias on the Cass approach, double standards in the interpretation of data, substandard scientific rigor, methodological flaws and a failure to properly substantiate claims
Quote:
The review also dismisses substantial documented benefits of adolescent medical transition as underevidenced while highlighting risks based on evidence of significantly worse quality. A warning about impaired brain maturation, for instance, cites a single, very short speculative paper that in turn rests on one experimental study with female mice. Meanwhile extensive qualitative data and clinical consensus are almost entirely ignored. These issues help explain why the Cass recommendations differ from previous academic reviews and expert guidance from major medical organisations such as the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Quote:
In May the outgoing Conservative government exercised rarely used emergency powers to criminalize possession of puberty blockers sourced privately from outside the NHS. Following the Labour party’s victory in the subsequent general election, new health minister Wes Streeting stated his support for the ban, citing the Cass Review. Criminalization only applies to trans youth: cisgender children and adolescents can still legally access puberty blockers for the same purpose—pausing puberty—and the same medicines continue to be prescribed for a broad range of other conditions and uses.

We estimate more than 1,000 trans adolescents in the U.K. now find that their treatment is illegal. Families risk an up to two-year prison sentence for supporting a child’s continued access to private medication. These adolescents face a state-mandated medical detransition, forcing them to go through a puberty they have fought hard to avoid.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 08-07-2024 at 09:33 AM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 09:59 AM   #452
MrButtons
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can't be the only one who was terrified why this thread was bumped after the American politics thread debacle.
Old 08-07-2024, 10:05 AM   #453
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
I can't be the only one who was terrified why this thread was bumped after the American politics thread debacle.
I posted this, and I hadn't even read that debacle yet.

Perhaps I should post is there too for more visibility?
Old 08-07-2024, 10:07 AM   #454
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

I wouldn’t bother, I think it’s good here. It was just one dummy transphobe telling on himself until he got sin binned and, thankfully, a whole lot of great posters stepping up and telling him off.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2024, 10:15 AM   #455
MrButtons
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Pepsifree is right, sorry for the confusion on that. Appreciate you sharing this here
Old 08-07-2024, 10:15 AM   #456
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

On topic, it’s really depressing that the Cass Review was even allowed to exist, but the UK government’s obsession with it is beyond the pale.

For whatever good intentions there might have been, it might be one of the most significantly influential unscientific, anti-trans documents ever produced. It was gross seeing an anti-trans poster cite it here a month ago, but I have a feeling all the discrediting that is happening won’t make a difference and will only embolden the type of anti-trans folks that overlap with conspiratorial, anti-establishment thinking.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:21 AM   #457
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
On topic, it’s really depressing that the Cass Review was even allowed to exist, but the UK government’s obsession with it is beyond the pale.

For whatever good intentions there might have been, it might be one of the most significantly influential unscientific, anti-trans documents ever produced. It was gross seeing an anti-trans poster cite it here a month ago, but I have a feeling all the discrediting that is happening won’t make a difference and will only embolden the type of anti-trans folks that overlap with conspiratorial, anti-establishment thinking.
Oh, i think Cass Report citings are going to be significant in the coming couple years.

Plenty of conservative governments around that will use it.

Best to spread the word on how bad it is early.

And please read the article on the actual webpage, - it has many links to actual scientific articles backing it up.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 08-07-2024 at 10:24 AM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2024, 01:34 PM   #458
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like these #######s are at it again. I encourage those of you who have the time to join the counter-protests in your communities.

https://www.todayville.com/edmonton/...-place-friday/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2024, 03:24 PM   #459
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Looks like these #######s are at it again. I encourage those of you who have the time to join the counter-protests in your communities.

https://www.todayville.com/edmonton/...-place-friday/
If you followed the money for that Hands Off Our Kids group, I wonder how much of it would be flowing from the Kremlin
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote