Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2024, 11:51 AM   #41
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm currently using the Pixel 7 Pro. My USB port is borked so I have to charge wirelessly which goes much slower than plugging it in. I seem to ruin the USB port with all my phones. The cable just falls out now. I have tried removing debris but don't find any debris to remove so I think I just ruin the port somehow. I do use my phone when it is on the charger at the end of the day so I'm assuming I've somehow stretch the port.
Stupid question, but have you tried replacing the cable?

I once said I preferred the iPhone Lightning cable because I felt like it was the more sturdy design and was heavily downvoted on Reddit by users who insisted that USB-C is better because the cable retention mechanism is part of the cable and can be easily replaced, whereas Apple's Lightning design houses the retention mechanism in the port itself, alleging that's why iPhones so often have Lightning port issues.

At face value, that seems like it should make sense, but -- like Pepsi -- I've never had an iPhone Lightning port fail on me either after owning three of them (SE, 8, 11 Pro -- kept this one for four years and still have it as a backup). Plenty of failed crappy stock Apple Lightning cables, sure, but never the port itself on my devices.

I did finally make the switch to USB-C with the 15 Pro and I'm happy to have a single cable standard to use in my home and in my cars, I just hope my USB-C port experience doesn't match yours in another year or two.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 09:06 AM   #42
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get a new phone every 2 years.

I'm currently using the Pixel 7 Pro. My USB port is borked so I have to charge wirelessly which goes much slower than plugging it in. I seem to ruin the USB port with all my phones. The cable just falls out now. I have tried removing debris but don't find any debris to remove so I think I just ruin the port somehow. I do use my phone when it is on the charger at the end of the day so I'm assuming I've somehow stretch the port.

I went from a Samsung Galaxy 20FE to the Pixel 7 Pro. I wanted the S23 (maybe it was 22?) because of the Astrophotography mode, then I learned the the Pixel had it too and I was happy to choose the Pixel because it was much cheaper to buy. Aside from me breaking ports I can't complain at all about the Pixel 7 Pro. When it comes to camera quality the Pixel Pro has really impressed me. My wife is using the LG Velvet 5 and is very jealous of the pictuers that I can take.

Battery if is okay. I charge everynight. After 18 months I noticed that I'll sometimes have to top up the charge after a long day but that's normal.

The best phone I ever had for battery life was an Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom. It had a battery size that most top end phones have now, but that phone was out 7 years ago and didn't use as much charge. I would charge it once every 3 or 4 days. I so would love to go back to that kind of battery life! I'm a bit of a power user and I use up more battery than most people I know.

We're an android family. My sons are on Galaxy S23FE and Pixel 7 Pro and my daughter has one of our hand me downs (probably the S20FE). One of my sons does a lot of research on phones, it seems to be a passion of his, so even though I'm the IT pro I get my homework from his reasearch when I recommend phones for people in the office.

I've played with a lot of phones and I hate the iPhone. I've never been a fan of its interface.
I have a stand up wireless charger by my bed so I don't wreck the charging port. It now fails about 10% of the time anyways after less than a year. I hate switching phones but do so because of battery life and wish desperately I could limit charging to 85% so the battery would outlive the phone
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 01:10 PM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually upgrade at Black Friday every two years, and this is one of those years. I was planning to just go from the Pixel 7 to the Pixel 9, but is there anything else I should consider? How are the Samsung's these days? I really liked the first few Galaxy's but after going to a Nexus6p and then the Pixel family after that I definitely prefer a more stock Android feel.

Or is there something else I should consider? I did try a Motorola One Vision a few years ago and quite liked it as well.

Not sure if I'm ready to give a flip a try, but I'm not against it either. Not an Apple fan either, always had one as a work phone and found the UI brutal
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 09:10 AM   #44
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any smallish (6 inch and under) android phones that are worth a look at? They're all so big now.. kinda sucks
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2024, 03:21 PM   #45
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Stupid question, but have you tried replacing the cable?

I once said I preferred the iPhone Lightning cable because I felt like it was the more sturdy design and was heavily downvoted on Reddit by users who insisted that USB-C is better because the cable retention mechanism is part of the cable and can be easily replaced, whereas Apple's Lightning design houses the retention mechanism in the port itself, alleging that's why iPhones so often have Lightning port issues.

At face value, that seems like it should make sense, but -- like Pepsi -- I've never had an iPhone Lightning port fail on me either after owning three of them (SE, 8, 11 Pro -- kept this one for four years and still have it as a backup). Plenty of failed crappy stock Apple Lightning cables, sure, but never the port itself on my devices.

I did finally make the switch to USB-C with the 15 Pro and I'm happy to have a single cable standard to use in my home and in my cars, I just hope my USB-C port experience doesn't match yours in another year or two.
I have tonnes of cables. I would start my own cable store but my kids destroy their cables and take my cables that I stop using.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2024, 03:24 PM   #46
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I have a stand up wireless charger by my bed so I don't wreck the charging port. It now fails about 10% of the time anyways after less than a year. I hate switching phones but do so because of battery life and wish desperately I could limit charging to 85% so the battery would outlive the phone
Those aren't foolproof when it comes to charging port longevity. My wife destroyed the charging port in her stand up wireless charger. She used it to charge the phone and watch tv, movies or tutorial videos while she was cooking, baking or decorating though. She'd constantly move and relocate that stand while it she was using it so I can see why it broke. She still uses it as a stand to watch stuff while she's working so it isn't completely useless.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 08:27 PM   #47
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I usually upgrade at Black Friday every two years, and this is one of those years. I was planning to just go from the Pixel 7 to the Pixel 9, but is there anything else I should consider? How are the Samsung's these days? I really liked the first few Galaxy's but after going to a Nexus6p and then the Pixel family after that I definitely prefer a more stock Android feel.

Or is there something else I should consider? I did try a Motorola One Vision a few years ago and quite liked it as well.

Not sure if I'm ready to give a flip a try, but I'm not against it either. Not an Apple fan either, always had one as a work phone and found the UI brutal
Not sure I would do the Pixel 9. The new tensor has had issues with throttling under stress tests. If you can wait a year for the Pixel 10 you will get the brand new chip design from TSMC that should be a big improvement over the Samsung based chips. I am also hearing a new modem set as well which is much needed as the current one is not best for connectivity.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 10:03 AM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have tonnes of cables. I would start my own cable store but my kids destroy their cables and take my cables that I stop using.
Another thing is to check the cable quality and output of the USB port powering the wireless charging.

I've realized that different ports (ie: USB C) charge far faster than other ports (ie: higher voltage USB A ports) and it's not a small margin either. Certain cables don't limit power like other cables too. Not all cables are created equally.

For instance, on the same USB charging port hub, if I use the USB C port to power the cable, I can recharge a tablet from dead to full in around an hour.

If I use the same cable with a USB A/C adapter, it takes around 50% longer on the fast charge USB A port and about double the duration on a regular charge USB A port.

If I use a 10 ft cable on a regular speed USB A charging port, it takes about 2.5-3.5x longer than if I use the USB C port to charge the tablet.

Wireless charging on my phone is slower than wired when powered by a USB C port which is about as fast as plugging into a USB A port. But I believe it's because it's powered by a USB A port and thus it is limited in that manner.

I'd also recommend potentially trying longer cables and cables designed to be constantly bend/flex. Those that use their phone in bed using a shorter cable (ie: 3-6 ft) are much more likely to destroy cables and loosen ports than someone using a 10+ft cable with or without a 90 degree connector.

Something like this is a bit more of a premium than just buying 3-4 cheap cables or 3 in 1 cables, but I think it might be helpful in the long term in not damaging the USB C ports in future phones (or after you repair the current phone port). Plus if currently using phone in bed right now with a short cable, you can sit up and turn around and stuff vs being stuck in a single position while using phone. Warning: Such cables are prone to theft by spouse and other family members. You may need more than 1 or may need to buy extras as gifts to said family members.

Longer, designed to flex/bend, 90 degree port for connecting to phone/item:
https://www.amazon.ca/XZXWZX-Compati...0&sr=8-10&th=1

10ft, cheaper ($10 per cable vs $25+), 90 degree port for connecting to phone/item:
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 10:42 AM   #49
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not sure I would do the Pixel 9. The new tensor has had issues with throttling under stress tests. If you can wait a year for the Pixel 10 you will get the brand new chip design from TSMC that should be a big improvement over the Samsung based chips. I am also hearing a new modem set as well which is much needed as the current one is not best for connectivity.
Yeah that mostly why I'm asking, what else is out there's that good or interesting rather than just getting the newest Pixel yet again
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 09:31 AM   #50
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Longer, designed to flex/bend, 90 degree port for connecting to phone/item:

10ft, cheaper ($10 per cable vs $25+), 90 degree port for connecting to phone/item:
I thought I wanted a 90 degree USB cable for using it in bed until I actually tried one. It completely messes with holding the phone comfortably, and it wasn't very good for use in the car either.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:48 AM   #51
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I thought I wanted a 90 degree USB cable for using it in bed until I actually tried one. It completely messes with holding the phone comfortably, and it wasn't very good for use in the car either.
The 90 degree thing is to reduce the wiggle when plugged in, thus less likely to mess up the jack. I didn't mind it myself, but I could see it being uncomfortable for some. I used to hold it with my fingers in a way that felt like it would if holding a selfie ring.

If it's USB- C on both sides, it's possible to just turn it around? But I would also assume slight discomfort trumps wrecking the charging port on multiple phones (and I'm still not completely sure how someone wrecks a single charging port by wiggling a USB C cable).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:22 PM   #52
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never wrecked the charging port on any of my phones, surprised to hear this is such an issue. Maybe it's because I never use my phone when it's plugged in?
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:26 PM   #53
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have one older iphone 12 that has an issue with its port but none of the other phones I have ever had have had any issues. And I am not particularly dainty with them. I mainly use wireless now anyways. Magsafe is awesome and the way to.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:27 PM   #54
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah that mostly why I'm asking, what else is out there's that good or interesting rather than just getting the newest Pixel yet again
From most reviews the Pixel 9 lineup is great but there's nothing really new there.

right now it is all AI and foldables. That is all phones have to offer. Which is fine, software and hardware improvements matter it is just no exciting.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:38 PM   #55
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The 90 degree thing is to reduce the wiggle when plugged in, thus less likely to mess up the jack. I didn't mind it myself, but I could see it being uncomfortable for some. I used to hold it with my fingers in a way that felt like it would if holding a selfie ring.

If it's USB- C on both sides, it's possible to just turn it around? But I would also assume slight discomfort trumps wrecking the charging port on multiple phones (and I'm still not completely sure how someone wrecks a single charging port by wiggling a USB C cable).
I had a 90 degree Lightning cable, but I found that it increased lateral pressure on the connector and port because instead of draping downward as the cable would normally do without any lateral force, the cable in the 90 degree connector is now completely horizontal, but still wants to drape downward as that's where the rest of the power cable is run to. So it pulls the horizontal portion down on one side which makes the vertical connector sticking out of it pull to whichever side the cable is on.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2024, 10:22 PM   #56
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
From most reviews the Pixel 9 lineup is great but there's nothing really new there.

right now it is all AI and foldables. That is all phones have to offer. Which is fine, software and hardware improvements matter it is just no exciting.
I just picked up a P9XL. Coming from a P7XL it's not revolutionary, but the battery life is excellent, the screen is as bright as anything I've owned and it doesn't overheat as much as my P7.

We got over $500 for our trade ins so it made things worthwhile to upgrade a year earlier than we normally would have.
Old 09-12-2024, 10:16 AM   #57
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nice. The more I read the more intriguing I think they are. They jumped the gun releasing them before 15 was available as there are some nice features in 15 and the beta has worked quite nicely for me. They wanted to get out ahead of Apple. I have the 8 pro so doubtful I upgrade but keeping my eye on it. Interested in a review after some usage.

I Like that both the iphone and pixel have released 6.3" versions. That is the sweet spot for me. 6.7 and 6.9 might be a little too big. Although, I have slowly reduced my phone usage and don't think I really need the screen real-estate anymore. And I prefer wider not longer.

Tags
smartphones