Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2024, 08:36 PM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New Study: Liquid Water Under Surface of Mars

Mars, Europa, Ganymede.... no doubt in my mind they all have life.

Old 08-13-2024, 08:43 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...we should invade Mars for their Freedom?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2024, 12:28 AM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuato Lives!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2024, 12:31 AM   #4
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Downside might be that it's too far down for us to drill to.

Old 08-14-2024, 02:10 AM   #5
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Kuato Lives!
And if anyone doesn't believe so: open your mind. Open your mind. Open your miiiiiiiiiiind....
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2024, 10:18 AM   #6
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Mars, Europa, Ganymede.... no doubt in my mind they all have life.

Not sure about all of them, but it would definitely not be a shock to me if we discovered microbial life within our solar system. The idea that even microscopic life didn't evolve over the course of billions of years seems unlikely to me.

Will we ever find something larger, the size of an animal within our solar system? That would be pretty crazy.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 11:35 AM   #7
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a surprise but it's pretty cool to confirm the discovery. Inching ever closer towards that confirmation of microbial life outside our planet
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 02:23 PM   #8
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Not sure about all of them, but it would definitely not be a shock to me if we discovered microbial life within our solar system. The idea that even microscopic life didn't evolve over the course of billions of years seems unlikely to me.

Will we ever find something larger, the size of an animal within our solar system? That would be pretty crazy.
It seems to me that anything that has water and some form of heat driven chemical process should harbour at least some form of life.

The moons of Jupiter specifically intrigue me because, while far from the sun, the pull between it and Jupiter create active cores that are interacting with vast liquid oceans. I can't see how there's not life there.

I would actually be very stunned to not find at least evidence of life at some point on Mars like fossils or the like. But with enough subsurface water to cover the planet in 2KM of water...it's possible that anything that lived on the surface at any point could now be living underground. Although my understanding is Mars' core is dead so there's nothing heating the inner part of the planet. Also, if there's any tech human's can definitely do its drill. With confirmation now of the water, I'd love to see-planning started on how to get to it. There's no reason why a remote operated drill can't be sent there. No need to wait for manned missions.

Planetary geology and formation is super interesting stuff.

Last edited by Coach; 08-14-2024 at 02:28 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 02:49 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It seems to me that anything that has water and some form of heat driven chemical process should harbour at least some form of life.

The moons of Jupiter specifically intrigue me because, while far from the sun, the pull between it and Jupiter create active cores that are interacting with vast liquid oceans. I can't see how there's not life there.

I would actually be very stunned to not find at least evidence of life at some point on Mars like fossils or the like. But with enough subsurface water to cover the planet in 2KM of water...it's possible that anything that lived on the surface at any point could now be living underground. Although my understanding is Mars' core is dead so there's nothing heating the inner part of the planet. Also, if there's any tech human's can definitely do its drill. With confirmation now of the water, I'd love to see-planning started on how to get to it. There's no reason why a remote operated drill can't be sent there. No need to wait for manned missions.

Planetary geology and formation is super interesting stuff.
Anywhere where you have lots of chemical reactions happening and conditions that would allow for the construction of larger molecules seems like an environment that would give rise to life, given enough time. I don't have enough knowledge of chemistry to say this definitively, but I would assume you could find conditions lacking water where life could arise, assuming another equivalent solvent.
Old 08-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think it’s a given that water, energy, and chemical processes are bound to create life. We have lots of that on Earth and it is not like it happens all the time here. As far as we know, over billions of years, abiogenesis only happened once here.
Old 08-14-2024, 07:45 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Last edited by troutman; 08-15-2024 at 12:23 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 10:08 AM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don’t think it’s a given that water, energy, and chemical processes are bound to create life. We have lots of that on Earth and it is not like it happens all the time here. As far as we know, over billions of years, abiogenesis only happened once here.
If life were to happen it probably wouldn't survive very long, as the existing life would take it out. For example, you wouldn't have a large stew of amino acids and carbohydrates without existing life consuming it.

In order for life to involve a second time, it would have to happen in a sterile environment that is also conducive to life evolving.

There also is some ongoing research to show that life may have evolved more than once on Earth. Most life is microbial, and we have a very poor knowledge of that life. We haven't sampled and then molecularly examined every microbe from every nook and cranny. In fact, we've likely only examined a very small fraction and largely from the most common of places. Secondly, the Earth's environment of lots of nitrogen, water, and carbon may lead to a co-evolution scenario, where life evolves to becomes relatively similar, consisting of DNA, proteins, carbohydrates, etc...

There's also some suggestion that viruses may have evolved independently of the main branch of life.
Old 08-15-2024, 12:38 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...really our only option is an aquatic version of 'Armageddon?'

Someone is going to have to get Sig Hansen and his team and send them to Mars to fish for life in their ancient oceans?

"Deadliest Catch: Mars Edition"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 12:52 PM   #14
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's obvious where this is going...

"From a sustainable ancient artesian aquifer on the planet Mars to more than 60 countries across the globe, MARS WATER has been bringing Mars' Finest Water to the world since 2047. Along the way, its philanthropic efforts have focused on improving the lives of the microbes of Mars, and protecting the unique place they call home."
Old 08-15-2024, 01:11 PM   #15
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If life were to happen it probably wouldn't survive very long, as the existing life would take it out. For example, you wouldn't have a large stew of amino acids and carbohydrates without existing life consuming it.

In order for life to involve a second time, it would have to happen in a sterile environment that is also conducive to life evolving.

There also is some ongoing research to show that life may have evolved more than once on Earth. Most life is microbial, and we have a very poor knowledge of that life. We haven't sampled and then molecularly examined every microbe from every nook and cranny. In fact, we've likely only examined a very small fraction and largely from the most common of places.
Let alone that 75% of this planet is water, and we can't even find something as large as a jet liner that falls into it. So much of earth is unexplored, let alone the life that exists there.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 02:18 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There also is some ongoing research to show that life may have evolved more than once on Earth. Most life is microbial, and we have a very poor knowledge of that life. We haven't sampled and then molecularly examined every microbe from every nook and cranny. In fact, we've likely only examined a very small fraction and largely from the most common of places. Secondly, the Earth's environment of lots of nitrogen, water, and carbon may lead to a co-evolution scenario, where life evolves to becomes relatively similar, consisting of DNA, proteins, carbohydrates, etc...

There's also some suggestion that viruses may have evolved independently of the main branch of life.
It's only theoretically possible, but not scientifically proven. We only have evidence that it happened once. Scientists have never been able to recreate it or completely understand the circumstances that cause abiogenesis. At the very least, we know that the process is very rare and not something that happens easily.

The conditions that allowed it to happen on Earth also aren't the same conditions that exist today. 3.5-4 billion years ago when it is believed to have happened, the Earth had a dense methane, water vapour, and ammonia atmosphere. The planet was getting bombarded and the system had a lot more energy at the surface. There were polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in vast amounts. It could very well be these things that kicked off the process, and not just the existence of liquid water.

Having said that, maybe Mars had a similar eon in it's early days.
Old 08-15-2024, 03:11 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So...really our only option is an aquatic version of 'Armageddon?'

Someone is going to have to get Sig Hansen and his team and send them to Mars to fish for life in their ancient oceans?

"Deadliest Catch: Mars Edition"

I was going to go with, can you imagine how much a person will pay for that first bottle of Evian Mars bottled water?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote