Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2024, 04:43 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default I time travelled today.

No not really, but sorta. In going though some on my Dad's boxes to help him find some stuff, I found a fully intact St Louis Post-Dispatch with all sections from Tuesday April 15, 1912.

First thing I noticed was that it had a cost of 1 cent.

On this day on the front page, the lead story was that Captain Roston of Carpathia through wireless sent the following message "Proceeding to New York with almost 800, Consulted with Mr. Ismay, so much ice, considered New York Best. Large number of icebergs and twenty miles field-ice with bergs amongst."
From Montreal, Allen Line issues the following statement: "We in in receipt of a Marconi via Capt Race, From Capt. Gambell of the Virginia, that he arrived on the scene of the disaster too late to be of service and proceeding to Liberpool."

IF course they are talking about the rescue efforts involving the sinking of the Titanic.

The front page was dedicated to the disaster with 8 St Louisans reported safely rescued on the Carpathia, and the names were given. 7 million pieces of mail were lost on the Titanic, and Washington was expected to investigate.

Also in other news Quimby became the first woman to fly across the English Channel.
The temperature in St Louis was expected to be 40 in the morning ring to 49 by mid afternoon.

There are a lot of ads.

Triangle Mops by Wizard were on sale for $1.15, down from 1.50.

Corsets and petty coats were in great demand ranging from .79 cents and $5.00, For the discerning woman the Dorothy Dodd pump for woan were priced at $3.50 and made from the finest tan russian calf or gunmetal taff.

For the young man on the go, R.Nugent and BBO Dey foods had a sale.

Men's suits were half off at $9.95. and vests were 1.00 to 2.55. Woman's summer dresses ranged up to $15.00 and lace curtains were $1 to 1.45.

For the home maker that did it herself, The were up to $28.00 and you could finance them with $1 down and $1.00 per month.

Back to the Titanic most of the passengers that were rescued were woman and children and from 1st and second class, and a list was provided listing survivors.

Meanwhile Aeolian Hall had a sale on player pianos ranging from $210 to $1075 they also had an excellent selection of used pianos . They also offered 3 year financing as long as your home was in reasonable range to the store on Olive St.
The EO Lewis trial that had ended in a mistrial was set to try again in 2 weeks as the jurors explained their stand. Lewis was facing 12 charges for mail fraud and the jury had become hopeless deadlocked, and sent home.

The Halsey Auto Company on Olive stated that a renewed Parkard is the best motor car investment possible for less cost then a new Packard.

The National Dental Parlor had a sale on bridge work with real whale bone and 22k gold, best made for eating corn on the cob and came with a 10 year guarantee. A full set is $3.00 and you can be measured and fitted on the same day.

Mrs Burheene was sitting in prison waiting for trial for the murder of 11 year old Ralph Schneider who ate rolled oats sprinkled with arsenic. Hower Mr Burheene insisted that she didn't kill the boy but bought the Arsenic to commit suicide and she had no idea how it got in the oats. The Judge decided not to release her from prison until the trial next year.

Postum cereal company of Battle Creek Michigan had a quarter page ad that Grape Nuts is great for dealing with played out nerves and the best breakfast in the morning was Grape Nuts and cream, two soft boiled eggs, a slice of toast and a cup of hot Postum, because food is after all better
then medicine if its the right type of food.

The second section was more St Louis news.

Marjorie Hamiltons inspiring story of how she lost weight without Drugs after she was told by her employer to lose weight or be fired. She stated that he weight loss was her duty to humanity as she lost 40 pounds through strict dieting and walking.

Sadly the Macy clothing company on Broadway was going out of business and all suits were to be sacrificed from $5 to $9 depending on style.

Meanwhile Druggist Charles Thompson was mistakenly shot when his neighbour thought he was breaking into the drugstore that he worked at. Mrs Thompson Charles wife heard the shooting and raced out with her husbands revolver and held off their neighbours who she thought were thugs.

Charlies Richelon a Baptist preacher who had been sentenced to death demanded to be converted to Catholicism by hanging. Meanwhile the governor had denied Richeon's request to see his father one last time as the governor felt that his father would be a bad influence on a orderly execution.

The Cardinels were to wind up their first series on the season on the weekend as they announced a unusually small roster of 28 players.

Meanwhile in Cleveland the Browns pitchers Hoe Lake and Barney Pelsy had cracked under the pressure leaving the Browns scrambling for pitching.

Meanwhile Ty Cobb had not slept well on the train in from Cleveland and demanded a better hotel room putting him at odds with Clevaland's manager.

meanwhile in the classifieds the HAMMER Steel company was hiring pipefitters, boys at the age of 16 need to bring in proof of their Brithdate.

Female chocolate dippers and button hole makers were in great demand. The Joshias off of Olive street were looking for an experienced housekeeper and nanny, colored woman need not apply.

The Whitehouse was holding a conference to discuss the Mexican insurrection and had called in the secretary of state and chief of the army do discuss solutions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 05:30 PM   #2
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is neat,

One thing that jumps out is the relative difference between the cost of goods. Like shoes are 3.50 and dental work is $3
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:46 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are always kind of fun.

Oh those old timey folks!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 06:30 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is neat,

One thing that jumps out is the relative difference between the cost of goods. Like shoes are 3.50 and dental work is $3
Based on that, I think my dentist is overcharging me. A lot.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 06:47 PM   #5
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Based on that, I think my dentist is overcharging me. A lot.
Why, are you struggling with eating corn? His whalebone is likely fake.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 06:51 PM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is neat,

$3.50 in 1912 equals about $93.00 today so depending on the shoe I guess that's about right, but yeah there's no kind of dental work for $80.00
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 06:58 PM   #7
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if you need more proof that Vancouver is no good.

Spoiler!
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 07:08 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats the problem? If you're going to smash down the doors of a convention, axes are definitely the way to go!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: