Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2024, 07:23 PM   #1121
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 07:42 PM   #1122
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

This bad boy was rolling up Crowchild at around noon today.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 09:16 AM   #1123
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Is there any car wash in the city that's open using recycled water? I swear I'm not a bad person I just want to give it a 30 second spray...
So nothing? I need a hose off, too. Don't like rolling dirty.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:43 AM   #1124
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So nothing? I need a hose off, too. Don't like rolling dirty.
Is anyone actually heeding this? It’s like having Covid now vs three years ago. No one cares.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #1125
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Is anyone actually heeding this? It’s like having Covid now vs three years ago. No one cares.
The city is posting water numbers and we are holding pretty close to the target 450. So yes people are still conserving water.

There is a good graphic on the city website.

https://www.calgary.ca/emergencies/c...june-2024.html

Expect a lecture Monday morning after this weekends nice weather.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #1126
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

City sent a letter this week to car washes saying they could close or switch their water source, as the city would shut off their water if they didn’t.

Mint has apparently switched their water source, so you could go there without feeling guilty.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 10:41 AM   #1127
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
After weeks without water, Calgarians now smell like Edmontonians
Quote:
After two weeks of restricted access to water for showers, laundry, and other acts of hygiene, sources have reported that Calgarians now smell like Edmontonians do all year long.

“Jesus, it reeks like Whyte Avenue in here,” said a Calgarian eating in a crowded restaurant. “If I wanted to smell filthy, sweat-drenched people abandoned by God himself I’d go to an Oilers game.”
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2024/06...-edmontonians/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 02:07 PM   #1128
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
City sent a letter this week to car washes saying they could close or switch their water source, as the city would shut off their water if they didn’t.

Mint has apparently switched their water source, so you could go there without feeling guilty.
I wonder how exactly they switched their water source?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 02:10 PM   #1129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I wonder how exactly they switched their water source?
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...r-restrictions

Sounds like Mint has a reservoir they use to fill up and are shipping in water for it.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:02 PM   #1130
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...r-restrictions

Sounds like Mint has a reservoir they use to fill up and are shipping in water for it.
So Mint car wash installed a reservoir system for just this very scenario?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #1131
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

It's a portable tank sitting outside that they plumbed in with hoses
Old 06-22-2024, 06:57 PM   #1132
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mint was packed when I drove buy today.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #1133
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How is the city going to lift restrictions? At the same time or just have different zones slowly open?

I don't think you can lift restrictions to the city in all areas at the same time because you don't want everyone watering their grass and plants at the same time.

I think having quadrants opening at certain days will be best approach.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:36 PM   #1134
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
How is the city going to lift restrictions? At the same time or just have different zones slowly open?

I don't think you can lift restrictions to the city in all areas at the same time because you don't want everyone watering their grass and plants at the same time.

Why? It's not like we'll have a lack of water. Once Bearspaw is back up and running we'll have double the treated water supply.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 04:22 PM   #1135
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Why? It's not like we'll have a lack of water. Once Bearspaw is back up and running we'll have double the treated water supply.
That still might not be enough if they lift restrictions and you have hundreds of thousands of people watering their grass for hours on end at the same time.

Just my opinion. I think we might run into a problem if they just lift restrictions at a set day and time for everyone.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:44 PM   #1136
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forecast is calling for like 25mm of rain on Thursday, people might not need to water their lawns for hours on end right away.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:45 PM   #1137
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That still might not be enough if they lift restrictions and you have hundreds of thousands of people watering their grass for hours on end at the same time.

Just my opinion. I think we might run into a problem if they just lift restrictions at a set day and time for everyone.

I don’t think that’s how watering works.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:23 PM   #1138
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t think that’s how watering works.
This guy knows.

https://youtu.be/noIVmMHX_TU?si=PELqIVIH47bMmg9m
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:53 PM   #1139
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Quote:

Your worries about "hundreds of thousands of people watering their grass" are way overblown. It's going to rain Thursday-Friday this week, and likely Monday-Tuesday next week: other than people who laid down fresh sod or planted trees recently, basically nobody needs much in the way of water for the sake of vegetation right now. And even if they did it won't be a big deal.

With respect to demands on the system, keep in mind the main in question will be filled, flushed, tested, flushed again, tested again before it nominally returns to full service and we have the "A-OK" to go back to normal. In reality the line will "work" for several days before it's called "done".

Frankly there are huge swaths of the city that hypothetically never really "had" to go on restrictions from a technical perspective. There are only so many interconnections, that are only 'so' big, between the pressure zones in the distribution system. The consumption of households in Tuscany, Royal Oak and Rocky Ridge for instance, and from neighbourhoods on the south side of the city south of... eh, Glenmore Trail-ish?... could have gone to zero: it still wouldn't have increased the ability to keep the rest of the city going.

The real danger of collapse in the system has always been the parts of the city east of Nose Hill. Where the feeder main broke is right by the single most critical pumping station in the system: the one at the bottom of Shaganappi Trail and Bowness Road/16th Ave. That pumping station feeds a big main to reservoirs at the foot of Nose Hill, northwest of 14th Street and John Laurie Blvd. (Ever noticed the fields south of the Winter Club surrounded by chain-link fence with no-trespassing signs, topped with barbed wire? A big, seemingly random chunk of land, the layout of which basically says "####-off-and-go-away" to everyone? That'd be the reservoirs!) From there the rest of the central-north parts of the city—all those 'Hills' neighbourhoods; Huntington, Panorama, Beddington, Coventry, etc.—are served, with other reservoirs located along the east side of Nose Hill. They don't otherwise interconnect with the west side of Nose Hill (yet; there is a project on the books to add a new feeder main to link them), and it all flows downhill to the east from there.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 06:02 PM   #1140
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
That pumping station feeds a big main to reservoirs at the foot of Nose Hill, northwest of 14th Street and John Laurie Blvd. (Ever noticed the fields south of the Winter Club surrounded by chain-link fence with no-trespassing signs, topped with barbed wire? A big, seemingly random chunk of land, the layout of which basically says "####-off-and-go-away" to everyone? That'd be the reservoirs!) From there the rest of the central-north parts of the city—all those 'Hills' neighbourhoods; Huntington, Panorama, Beddington, Coventry, etc.—are served, with other reservoirs located along the east side of Nose Hill. They don't otherwise interconnect with the west side of Nose Hill (yet; there is a project on the books to add a new feeder main to link them), and it all flows downhill to the east from there.
I learned something today.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote