Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2024, 02:06 PM   #5481
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am not too worried about missing it, provided we get put on another flight. But I would like an idea whether we need to hustle or what.
That's the thing though, busy summer season the next flight could be a few days out. They spent 2 nights in Frankfurt and got rerouted with Condor going FRA-YVR-YYC.

You may need to hustle, but they got caught in a long security/check line and there was no ability to get moved to the front. Lufthansa agents after were super helpful in getting her group rebooked and they even covered the hotel.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 02:07 PM   #5482
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

flying to Victoria on 24th. Assuming strike notice cancellation would mean being eligible for passenger rights compensation.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:20 PM   #5483
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's the thing though, busy summer season the next flight could be a few days out. They spent 2 nights in Frankfurt and got rerouted with Condor going FRA-YVR-YYC.

You may need to hustle, but they got caught in a long security/check line and there was no ability to get moved to the front. Lufthansa agents after were super helpful in getting her group rebooked and they even covered the hotel.

We all have some flexibility with our schedule, so missing a flight on the way home wouldn’t be the end of the world for us, but I guess you’re kind or glued to the airport waiting for a new flight.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #5484
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We all have some flexibility with our schedule, so missing a flight on the way home wouldn’t be the end of the world for us, but I guess you’re kind or glued to the airport waiting for a new flight.
Not bad getting stuck somewhere like FRA though, the hotel they got put up in was right by the train station at the airport. Easy access to take the train into the city to sightsee and make the most of being stuck for a couple of days.

Last edited by Bigtime; 06-18-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 02:23 PM   #5485
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Was it cheaper than the direct from WestJet?
WestJet was not operating to Barcelona for the season yet and did not offer connections via Paris or London for our return so we went with LH.

Quote:
Yep, same airlines. YYC-FRA-NAP and then VCE-FRA-YYC. We have 3+ hrs on the way there, but return flight have just over an hour. I don’t know the layout of the airport, but I assume it’s doable if the return leg is scheduled like that.
Terminal is long and linear. 1 hour connection might be tight coming back and you have to go through security (but the gate is literally right next to security once you are through). Just don't dawdle along the way, it's a long walk. It's Germany so they are efficient.

Discover seems to operate out of the C gates in FRA. Shengen flights were the A/Z gates
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2024, 02:24 AM   #5486
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp after several near misses with negotiations this year, looks like this one is for real. WJ is now canceling flights as a result of the upcoming AME strike. Hold the line boys and girls, get what you deserve

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2024-0...ployees-strike

Quote:
"We are immensely disheartened that we are in a position where we must activate our contingency plan and begin parking aircraft, as a result of the strike notice served by AMFA. We deeply regret the disruption this will have on the travel plans of our guests, communities and businesses that rely on our critical air service," said Diederik Pen, President of WestJet Airlines and Group Chief Operating Officer. "Following the memberships' nearly unanimous decision to reject a generous tentative agreement that would have made our Aircraft Maintenance Engineers the highest paid in the country, with a take-home pay increase of 30 to 40 per cent in the first year of the proposed agreement, it is clear that the bargaining process has broken down."

In the coming 48-hours the WestJet Group will work to park aircraft, in a measured, phased and safe approach, resulting in the following cancellations.

Total cancellation summary
Tuesday, June 18 – Wednesday, June 19:

~40 cancellations
Guest impact*

~6,500 guests impacted
*WestJet is making every effort to reaccommodate all impacted guests
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:29 AM   #5487
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Welp after several near misses with negotiations this year, looks like this one is for real. WJ is now canceling flights as a result of the upcoming AME strike. Hold the line boys and girls, get what you deserve

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2024-0...ployees-strike
I’m not sure striking and causing issues to your customers is the way to go.

I’m guessing my Nashville flight Thursday will be cancelled and cost our group thousands of dollars.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:52 AM   #5488
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has their been an explanation why they rejected it? 30% pay raise sounds great, so their must be something else there...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:38 AM   #5489
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just my luck Im in Vegas until the 21st hopefully this can get resolved before I have to leave. I’m not confident about WestJet's rebooking, I was caught in Vancouver during the big snow storm too, and it was a #### show trying to get rebooked and caused me to be out $1500 that I’m still waiting for a judgement on…
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byrns For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2024, 07:42 AM   #5490
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Just my luck Im in Vegas until the 21st hopefully this can get resolved before I have to leave. I’m not confident about WestJet's rebooking, I was caught in Vancouver during the big snow storm too, and it was a #### show trying to get rebooked and caused me to be out $1500 that I’m still waiting for a judgement on…
Heh as long as I get where I want to go I don’t care what happens. As long as the flight there doesn’t get cancelled…
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:49 AM   #5491
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Has their been an explanation why they rejected it? 30% pay raise sounds great, so their must be something else there...
Just to be clear, it said 30% take home increase, not raise. Pay at WJ has traditionally had a substantial amount of deferred income, so my guess is that most of that is just unlocking the deferred money and putting it on the bi-weekly pay. I don’t know exactly what the actual pay increase is, but it definitely is no where close to 30%.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2024, 09:43 AM   #5492
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

So to my question above, are these cancellations covered under the passenger rights for airline travel?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:31 AM   #5493
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
So to my question above, are these cancellations covered under the passenger rights for airline travel?
Some info from expert Gabor Lukacs:

Quote:
Preemptive cancellations are WITHIN WestJet's control, because there is no strike right now, and it is NOT a safety issue. They have to rebook you on a competitor, as per s. 17(1)(a)(ii), and compensate you for up to $1,000/passenger under s. 19(1)(a) of the APPR. I would call them, record the call, and if they are refusing to comply, I would buy a ticket on another airline and then make WestJet pay for the extra expense.

Once the strike is actually on, then the cancellations would be OUTSIDE the carrier's control, and WestJet's sole obligation is to rebook you (or give you a refund if you so choose), including on competitor airline if necessary -- see paragraph 18(1.1)(a) of the APPR.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2024, 10:55 AM   #5494
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What are the chances of a June 28th flight to MCO being cancelled? Should I find another option fully refundable as a backup?
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:05 AM   #5495
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
What are the chances of a June 28th flight to MCO being cancelled? Should I find another option fully refundable as a backup?
Pretty difficult to predict, but so far WestJet appears to be focusing their cancellations on high frequency domestic routes between larger Canadian cities...

List of cancelled flights:
https://www.flightaware.com/live/fleet/WJA/cancelled

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:11 AM   #5496
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Pretty difficult to predict, but so far WestJet appears to be focusing their cancellations on high frequency domestic routes between larger Canadian cities...

List of cancelled flights:
https://www.flightaware.com/live/fleet/WJA/cancelled
hmm, I'm probably best to take the safe bet and book a refundable trip just in case. If they do cancel the flight it looks like I should be able to get some compensation for the cost (based on your post) of the new flight
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:27 PM   #5497
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this stance from the union may rub people the wrong way, not wanting arbitration because they want more.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thousands...rike-1.6932502

Quote:
The union said Monday it opposes WestJet's request for arbitration because the process could undermine aircraft maintenance engineers' (AMEs) bid for greater contract gains.

"If adopted by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, it would utterly frustrate the AMEs' goal of reaching an industry-changing contract because arbitrators are generally driven by industry 'norms' – the same norms that have kept AMEs under the heel of management and industrial unions which favour the unskilled majority," the negotiating committee claimed in a statement Monday.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:59 PM   #5498
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We were supposed to fly to Houston on Friday June 21st with our kids to attend a wedding this weekend. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to rebook if the flight ends up being cancelled.

If there are additional costs for hotel or airfare due to a WestJet flight cancellation, is that on Westjet to compensate passengers or is that typically a claim to your travel insurance provider?
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:07 PM   #5499
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think this stance from the union may rub people the wrong way, not wanting arbitration because they want more.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thousands...rike-1.6932502
Yeah they probably could have worded that better. I do agree with them though, getting the industry standard wouldn't be very good, because the industry standard sucks in Canada
Old 06-19-2024, 09:55 PM   #5500
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

From my friend at Westjet

"Just got an email. Strike notice was rescinded, returning to the bargaining table next week. No more cancellations or anything for now"

edit: Official an hour later

Quote:
With respect to WestJet’s request for arbitration, the CIRB has advised it will require additional time and submissions from both parties before making a decision on whether or not collective bargaining for our first agreement should be resolved by way of arbitration. We respect the integrity of the process and understand the need for due diligence.

In the meantime, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) has rescinded its strike notice, with both parties jointly agreeing to return to the bargaining table to continue work towards finding a resolution.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/guest-updates

Last edited by btimbit; 06-20-2024 at 12:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: