Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2024, 05:23 PM   #501
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whelp, here we go. Constant screenshots of your computer displays can't possibly go wrong . . .

Last edited by chemgear; 06-13-2024 at 05:26 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:05 PM   #502
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Musk said
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:18 PM   #503
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Well ya, exactly. But many other companies dumped billions of dollars into it, most gave up, and a few are still struggling. I think my points stands, no matter how much of a snake oil salesman Musk is other companies believed this was solvable with a bit of money and time.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:44 PM   #504
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Whelp, here we go. Constant screenshots of your computer displays can't possibly go wrong . . .
I actually used this kind of program for quite a while when I was doing contract work.

Along with periodic screen shots it also recorded the name of the application I was in and the name of the file I was editing!

I used it to keep track of hours worked for billing, it worked really really well. Made it super easy to see "I started working in this project at 8:45, took a break at 10, started again at 10:20, etc..." I had the screen shots in case my client wanted some kind of evidence (none ever did), but a few times it was helpful in going back to recreate something I'd done but neglected to document.

So if if it's off by default, only stores information locally, and can be heavily and separately encrypted then it could be useful for some people.

But I haven't even read anything about its intended use and I'll take a guess that it's not like that (though I did read they're going to set it off by default which is the bare minimum).

EDIT: And I could turn it on and off as I wanted, though after a while I just left it on and figured if someone could get and decrypt the file they deserved to see which ecchi anime I watched.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:56 PM   #505
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
A buddy of mine was wondering the other day if for financial and emotional health reasons polygamy and polyamory will begin to skyrocket. Like a controlled open relationship with additional relationship, household management and other benefits.

Apparently it's a concept called a throuple.

I have noticed an uptick in articles on polyamory in places like the New York Times. I think it may be a future front in the culture wars. Wonder what the flag will look like…
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 07:22 AM   #506
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is participating in the second day of the G7 leaders' summit, which will feature a special appearance by Pope Francis.

The pontiff is slated to deliver an address to leaders about the promises and perils of artificial intelligence.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...234871?cmp=rss

Yes, noted AI expert *checks notes*, Pope Francis is going to tell the world what his perverse moralizing has to say on the subject. This should be a big help in guiding humanity.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:51 AM   #507
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is everyone pushing their AI searches? I don’t think I need it for searching text in Adobe.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:57 AM   #508
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember how everyone tried to crypto-currency and NFT everything? Ya, the next fad cycle.
Spoiler!

We are somewhere on the first rise, probably not even halfway. Expect a lot more.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:15 AM   #509
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why is everyone pushing their AI searches? I don’t think I need it for searching text in Adobe.
Because it's the next level of buzzword expectation?

Device -> "Smart" device -> "Smart" device "with AI technology" (We are here) -> "Smart AI" device -> Device (Maybe... if the world hasn't been destroyed by then)

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:17 AM   #510
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, fine, but let me turn it off so it’s not nagging me every single time I start typing into a search bar.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:25 AM   #511
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, fine, but let me turn it off so it’s not nagging me every single time I start typing into a search bar.
This was all predicted (or proved?) more than a decade ago when we had the Halo 3 Cortana mission.

AI prompts (or reminder of them being helpful) sometimes reminds me of my 5 year old saying, "Look what I can do!"
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #512
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Remember how everyone tried to crypto-currency and NFT everything? Ya, the next fad cycle.
Spoiler!

We are somewhere on the first rise, probably not even halfway. Expect a lot more.
I don't know... we've got groups around the planet scrambling for power resources and people floating the idea of $100 billion dollar computer clusters. Sam Altman is actively exploring the possibility of starting his own nuclear power plants. This is only half-way up the hype curve?

You could be right though. I think crypto is a solid example of a hype folly. That said, perhaps it's just not time for crypto yet?

Quote:
To me a successful search means the AI can manage a large amount of something. Ya, it looks like expensive Command-F, but once it can hold something the length of a book in memory, it can start doing more and more complex tasks. How many jobs could be distilled into something smaller than a Harry Potter book? That's where things start to get pretty bumpy.

Last edited by Russic; 06-14-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 02:00 PM   #513
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I more meant halfway up the hype curve, in that it hasn't been shoe horned into everything yet, and the first AI crash is a ways off. If we were near the peak I'd expect the crash in under 6 months, but I think we are farther out than that. My dishwasher doesn't even have AI yet!
Old 06-18-2024, 09:55 AM   #514
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Can anybody share a couple of free AI image generators? I’ve played with midjourney but I do not wish to pay this time around.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 11:52 AM   #515
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your best bet is Stable diffusion (1.5 or SDXL models) if you able to run it locally on your computer but it requires a decently beefy computer.

Microsoft co-pilot uses Dalle-3 for image generation (the most coherent generator but least realistic) where you get a few a day. OpenAI doesn't allow dalle image generation for free (just check) but it comes with chatgpt subscription and is a great option.

There are the odd options such as mage.space which offers limited free SFW image generation using SD, and a few apps that do as well. Meta has their own offerings with free image generation if you want to play with something.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 12:45 PM   #516
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

You'll want to keep your expectations in check also, as MidJourney is currently king of realism. Dalle-3 is cool, but it still has that cartoony look most of the time that is most often associated with an AI feel. If that's all you're after, have at it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:

Tags
they will overtake us