Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2024, 07:27 PM   #4921
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I have a 100 pound excuse (adding up kiddo + trailer + stuff) that led me to take the plunge this year and it is an absolute revelation. With the right set up it can just feel like riding usual except you popped some PEDs. And no need to worry about grams or tire friction rates

Really they should be considered two categories:

E-Mopeds with pedals (hub drive + cadence sensor) - usually cheap Chinesium

E-bikes (mid drive + torque sensor) - almost all of the goodness with nearly none of the badness
There are two types of the Cadence sensor ones. One type puts out constant wattage (much like the tourque sensor) the other is speed limited and puts out max wattage until you get to a set speed. The hubs with constant wattage output are okay. They still suffer from limited low end tourque but they work really good for commuting and okay for mountain biking.

You can also get a chinesium midrive that you can mount yourself.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:43 PM   #4922
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m trying not to but I can’t help my frustration when I’m commuting and pounding up a hill and some out of shape slug smoking a cigarette (literally smoking an old
School cig no vape) blows by me on a e-bike. I know I should t care but I grates my ass.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:53 PM   #4923
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 18 year old is bike commuting to his new job and is already annoyed at the “cheaters” on the pathways. I get it, they’re great tools, but old guy me still thinks if you’re able bodied you should be using your own power.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:59 PM   #4924
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
My 18 year old is bike commuting to his new job and is already annoyed at the “cheaters” on the pathways. I get it, they’re great tools, but old guy me still thinks if you’re able bodied you should be using your own power.
E-bikes replace car trips not bike trips. They aren’t the same activity.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 09:09 PM   #4925
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get it. Old grumpy man can still be annoyed by them.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 09:13 PM   #4926
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a road, gravel, mountain and e-cargo bike. All for different things and all beautiful. The cargo bike lets my wife take our kid to day care and still get up the massive hill we live on. I see exactly zero negatives with e-bikes. I love trying to race her up the hill on my faster bikes actually (one day I’ll win!).
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 09:55 PM   #4927
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFan View Post
I’m trying not to but I can’t help my frustration when I’m commuting and pounding up a hill and some out of shape slug smoking a cigarette (literally smoking an old
School cig no vape) blows by me on a e-bike. I know I should t care but I grates my ass.
Yeah but some days you pass an ebiker and they feel shame
Old 06-12-2024, 05:37 AM   #4928
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Don't look at the forecast
Ok, now I’m getting worried . Starting to consider what and how many layers I’m going to wear, and what parts I’ll have to replace on my bike after the race….
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 09:31 AM   #4929
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
E-bikes replace car trips not bike trips. They aren’t the same activity.
Interesting never looked at it this way. I’m taking the perspective of this and will see how I feel in the ride home today. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:32 AM   #4930
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Yeah but some days you pass an ebiker and they feel shame
So true, but on a steep hill I just can’t compete. I also wanna slap the dudes who can barely stay on their little surfer one wheel bull#### thing and they are all over the bike lane on 12th causing chaos.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:40 AM   #4931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting never looked at it this way. I’m taking the perspective of this and will see how I feel in the ride home today. Thanks.
My wife rides downtown way more often than she used to, now that she has an e-bike and a secure parking spot in a city parkade. It's displaced car and bus trips for her. She can now ride in clothes she doesn't need to change out of, and has baskets and paniers. She'll ride way up north to visit her Grandma at her care home, where she used to drive. So ya, anecdotally I agree. I also agree with Habernac it's still a gut punch when they fly past you! I do like drafting behind my dad's ebike when I am beat, though!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #4932
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Rough looking dart guy on an e-bike" is becoming a Calgary pathway fixture.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 10:04 AM   #4933
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course I say that name above in jest, but surely others that pass me have a nickname for me? Or am I the only one that does that?

Anyone see "older tanned power walking lady"? I swear she is all over Nose Creek and the Bow pathway in the afternoons when I'm riding home.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:56 AM   #4934
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Of course I say that name above in jest, but surely others that pass me have a nickname for me? Or am I the only one that does that?

Anyone see "older tanned power walking lady"? I swear she is all over Nose Creek and the Bow pathway in the afternoons when I'm riding home.
Any that passes you is a "pathlete"
Old 06-13-2024, 04:30 PM   #4935
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Rough looking dart guy on an e-bike" is becoming a Calgary pathway fixture.
This reminds me, I haven’t seen “mountain biking bald dart guy with his helmet attached to his handlebars” this season. He was around in the fall…maybe he actually had one.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:14 PM   #4936
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So true, but on a steep hill I just can’t compete. I also wanna slap the dudes who can barely stay on their little surfer one wheel bull#### thing and they are all over the bike lane on 12th causing chaos.
Do motorcycle helmets come standard with the purchase of one of those or do those riders just think that motorcycle helmets complete the look?

I would routinely see one or two guys decked out in padded gear and a motorcycle helmet previously but this year there are a lot more people on those and they have all adopted the motorcycle helmet look.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 12:04 PM   #4937
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Do motorcycle helmets come standard with the purchase of one of those or do those riders just think that motorcycle helmets complete the look?

I would routinely see one or two guys decked out in padded gear and a motorcycle helmet previously but this year there are a lot more people on those and they have all adopted the motorcycle helmet look.
I think it is ll part of the same "###### bag commuter" kit that some trendy website sells to these guys.

I have adopted the new perspective of electric bikes removing car trips, and when I pay attention to the rider it helps. Many are not trying to sell an athletic look, and are clearly just adapting their commute. I can do so here.

However, today a full M.A.M.I.L. on a road bike flew by me at well over 30 km/h in the flats. I hit it hard and was not even able to stop him from pulling away. Got to the red light and this captain peloton loser has a full custom electric system on this bike. Smirking while pulling away at the light like he is on a motorcycle. This can't be safe for people on the bike paths.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #4938
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did anyone do the Chinook Classic Gran Fondo yesterday? I did the 150km and it was pretty challenging with elevation and a lot of wind (strong headwind all the way into Kananaskis for 40km or something). Glad I did it but I'm pretty wiped today.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 10:57 PM   #4939
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Hah, well a lot can change in 10 days.
A week late, did you go? . I did 3 and a half hours in the slop.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:15 PM   #4940
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I used to see the most miserable old lady riding nose creek. There was also a big muscled up guy that rode almost daily. 4 years since I had a regular commute.