Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2024, 08:18 AM   #401
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Are the induction loop controls at traffic lights widely used across Canada or does Calgary have a significant amount of these? I ask because so many drivers have been pissing me off lately (and this could go in the gear grinder thread) by stopping to far back on the intersection and not triggering the lights. A bad one that I run into often is the dual turn from Shaganappi onto Dalhousie Drive. The other weekend it was backed up with 20+ cars in each lane because the idiots up front in both lanes were too far back. I had arrived and waited for three lights before they finally moved up and triggered the arrow and cars had already been waiting ahead of me.

Often times I see the cars that are too far back with pretty new plates so I wonder if they are new to Calgary and unfamiliar with the loops. Old people are often bad for this as well.
Agreed regarding people staying too far back to trigger lights. Interestingly my family was driving in Cochrane this weekend and there was a sign in the middle median on the road turning south onto highway 22 that basically said - move up to the stop line to trigger the traffic lights. I have not seen that before, but could be used unfortunately in many areas in Calgary.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:23 AM   #402
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Now that the West ring road is done and the bridge over the Bow is done does anyone know if there are any plans to eliminate the 80 km/h zone south of Nose Hill Drive?
There is also another 80 km/h zone further south for about 200-300 meters close to a turnoff / overpass. Cannot remember exact area but it is a strange spot and for such a short distance before turning back to 100 km/h.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:11 AM   #403
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Left lane turn traffic also blocks through traffic. I can’t describe it properly, but the timings are all off so the right turn light seems to go before the people wanting to turn right can physically get to the turn lanes, since they are blocked by people turning left and going straight.

It’s seriously an insane design.

The previous intersection had a merge lane onto Crowchild when heading west on 24th Ave. They decided to widen the lanes on Crowchild Tr but removed the merge. The added wait times at the set of lights has increased congestion and idling. Strange plan.
Don Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #404
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Benji View Post
The previous intersection had a merge lane onto Crowchild when heading west on 24th Ave. They decided to widen the lanes on Crowchild Tr but removed the merge. The added wait times at the set of lights has increased congestion and idling. Strange plan.
It was a pretty short merge lane starting from a near dead stop - or often from a dead stop considering it is a heavy pedestrian area (which is a recipe for disaster when you have motorists intent on getting up to speed.

Now it's a dual right on green only. In the before time it didn't take much straight and LH traffic to back things up to where you couldn't make it to the merge lane anyways.

I suspect this is a thing where it feels way more annoying than it actually is. Overall intersection function is marginally different (probably slightly better for some movements and slightly worse for others) while safety is significantly improved
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:17 PM   #405
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nearby and maybe slightly related, but I'm actually pretty happy with the Crowchild and 16th Avenue improvements over the past few years.

Southbound Crowchild to Eastbound 16th Avenue: getting rid of that short little mergy yield nonsense as you join 16th is an improvement - now you join 16th in your own, new lane.

And Westbound 16th going North on Crowchild: Previously you'd have to do the Banff Trail thing and then wait, but getting directly onto Crowchild by the Denny's is really nice. And again - a new lane!

I'm not sure why that took decades to figure out. Relatively minor tweaks with big improvements to traffic flow.

And I suppose that's where it becomes related to the 24th Avenue intersection. More continuous lanes on Crowchild at the expense of a controlled merge on 24th. I'll take that trade off for the net benefit.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:36 PM   #406
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It was a pretty short merge lane starting from a near dead stop - or often from a dead stop considering it is a heavy pedestrian area (which is a recipe for disaster when you have motorists intent on getting up to speed.

Now it's a dual right on green only. In the before time it didn't take much straight and LH traffic to back things up to where you couldn't make it to the merge lane anyways.

I suspect this is a thing where it feels way more annoying than it actually is. Overall intersection function is marginally different (probably slightly better for some movements and slightly worse for others) while safety is significantly improved
I've been driving this route for 32 years. Never found the previous transition from 24th heading west to Crowchild to be a problem. There is so much room to have made the merge even better than it was but they took it away. It was a very simple crosswalk to navigate as a pedestrian because you were only looking one way at one lane. During the busy hours traffic now backs up significantly further than it used to because there is at least two minutes added to the intersection. It was immediately noticeable after the change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Benji For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #407
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Nearby and maybe slightly related, but I'm actually pretty happy with the Crowchild and 16th Avenue improvements over the past few years.

Southbound Crowchild to Eastbound 16th Avenue: getting rid of that short little mergy yield nonsense as you join 16th is an improvement - now you join 16th in your own, new lane.

And Westbound 16th going North on Crowchild: Previously you'd have to do the Banff Trail thing and then wait, but getting directly onto Crowchild by the Denny's is really nice. And again - a new lane!

I'm not sure why that took decades to figure out. Relatively minor tweaks with big improvements to traffic flow.

And I suppose that's where it becomes related to the 24th Avenue intersection. More continuous lanes on Crowchild at the expense of a controlled merge on 24th. I'll take that trade off for the net benefit.
Agreed, those two tweaks make so much more sense. I also like the bus stop at 16th East off crowchild in that former long yield lane.
I don't get why the merge on 24th had to go though.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:13 PM   #408
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno099 View Post
Agreed regarding people staying too far back to trigger lights. Interestingly my family was driving in Cochrane this weekend and there was a sign in the middle median on the road turning south onto highway 22 that basically said - move up to the stop line to trigger the traffic lights. I have not seen that before, but could be used unfortunately in many areas in Calgary.
Near either 17th ave or the Sarcee/Glenmore interchange I think. They made a couple minor mistakes with lanes there IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:31 PM   #409
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been driving this route for 32 years. Never found the previous transition from 24th heading west to Crowchild to be a problem. There is so much room to have made the merge even better than it was but they took it away. It was a very simple crosswalk to navigate as a pedestrian because you were only looking one way at one lane. During the busy hours traffic now backs up significantly further than it used to because there is at least two minutes added to the intersection. It was immediately noticeable after the change.
Very simple once you cross the totally kinda sort of maybe a crosswalk at the 24 St intersection assuming you have no mobility challenges and can deal with a vertical curb:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tPN8ppNXdxxxbLpKA

Was the iteration with two straight through WB lanes and the regular merge better? Perhaps, but the 24 St access still made it a cluster####.

And it's not necessarily about whether it's a problem for the mergers...it almost certainly limited the throughput of Crowchild NB on green, which has ripple effects all the way back to the Bow River bridge and beyond. There's a reason the biggest freeways have ramp meters (stop lights metering traffic on the on-ramps)
Old 05-28-2024, 06:18 PM   #410
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems there is a stupid limit on the red, too. It should be green pretty much any time Crowchild NB is red. But in this image:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9G5qaMhDq79oTDPq7

you can see it's red, for no logical reason other than perhaps the fear people turning EB 24th to NB Crowchild driving like morons who shouldn't have a license.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:19 PM   #411
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qYHtX4xhMKkJCd8D9

Yup, see, here's a moron that would cause an accident, so I guess we can't have logical traffic flow...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 07:00 PM   #412
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It seems there is a stupid limit on the red, too. It should be green pretty much any time Crowchild NB is red. But in this image:

you can see it's red, for no logical reason other than perhaps the fear people turning EB 24th to NB Crowchild driving like morons who shouldn't have a license.
Looking again the big thing they achieved with the last iteration is 4 through lanes on NB Crowchild (maybe somebody already said this?) - the merge lane essentially became the 4th through lane. 33% more capacity on the main route.

Considering the ongoing investment to improve flow from the south it's a sensible idea to open the final cork in the bottle as much as possible. That demand isn't going to induce itself, afterall.

I'd love to see them try the converging dual turning lanes though, as long as they put up a webcam for us to enjoy the inevitable carnage.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2024, 12:07 PM   #413
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:

If the EB left was a single that might doable. With a dual left that's way too risky.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #414
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If the EB left was a single that might doable. With a dual left that's way too risky.
It's kind of self correcting though, over enough time.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:40 PM   #415
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Very simple once you cross the totally kinda sort of maybe a crosswalk at the 24 St intersection assuming you have no mobility challenges and can deal with a vertical curb:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tPN8ppNXdxxxbLpKA

Perhaps you haven't been to this intersection in the last three years. The city fixed all of the curbs in that area. You posted a google image from ten years ago.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:30 PM   #416
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

When I did the second GDL road test years ago they took me to the southbound crowchild / eastbound 16th ave mergey yield.

Good thing they cancelled the second road test otherwise what confusing place would driving tests take you as a 'gotcha'?
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #417
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
It's kind of self correcting though, over enough time.
If you offer to pay the City's legal fees during the "adjustment" period, I'm sure they'd do it!
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 01:56 PM   #418
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps you haven't been to this intersection in the last three years. The city fixed all of the curbs in that area. You posted a google image from ten years ago.
I'm aware. The comment I was responding to said it was fine for the last 32 years - I was pointing out that it definitely was not for a lot of use cases.

The 2016 changes were obviously long overdue. Then we spent $87M improving the bridge over the Bow. Which is cool, except Crowchild effectively squeezes back to two lanes 1km north of the river. So we really just helped that bottleneck fill up faster, and improving the throughput at 24th was the natural remedy. Which they did by adding another lane (which never fails) and removing the merge (which was certainly hindering the throughput of the right through lane to some degree).

That's the beautiful thing about spending on roads. It's futile and pointless unless you keep spending more and more and more ad infinitum in a never ending quest to maintain the status quo. Because really that's all we achieve in 99% of cases - getting travel time back to where it was a few years earlier (after spending millions and months+ of increased travel time during construction)

Of course transit and mobility spending suffers from a similar 'problem' - except the spending that begets spending actually results in compounding returns instead of diminishing returns.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:53 PM   #419
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a misanalysis.

The goal was to shove the traffic up. Because what would happen is that NB traffic would get stuck on the bridge, since there was exactly one NB lane, so by the time you made it to the 10 Ave lights, there was hardly any traffic. Just getting to the 24th Ave lights took forever.

$87 million was also to rehabilitate the bridge. I'm going to go on a limb and say that most of that money was for the rehabilitation and additional lane. I mean maybe the original design of the bridge shouldn't have of all things an exit lane.

I find the notion of induced demand comical. By that asinine logic all you'd have to do to make money is open a business and wait for the customers to start buying.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:05 PM   #420
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will 22x bridge be done in 2024... seems unlikely. FML
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote