Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2024, 05:19 PM   #341
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bieksa said that the sequence where Trouba was called for two separate minor penalties, should have resulted in a two-minute 5-on-3, not a four-minute double minor.

Is that true? I feel dumb because I am sure I have watched games where a player was assessed with two separate penalties at once, but I don't recall how it normally plays out.

I don't know if it makes a difference or what scenario is more favorable to the team on the powerplay. I think I'd rather have a four minute double minor though.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:23 PM   #342
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Bieksa said that the sequence where Trouba was called for two separate minor penalties, should have resulted in a two-minute 5-on-3, not a four-minute double minor.

Is that true? I feel dumb because I am sure I have watched games where a player was assessed with two separate penalties at once, but I don't recall how it normally plays out.

I don't know if it makes a difference or what scenario is more favorable to the team on the powerplay. I think I'd rather have a four minute double minor though.
Depends on the situation. If you’re trying to score, I’d take the 5v3. That’s why typically they will give up the puck as soon as possible. If you’re ahead late and trying to waste time, I’d rather have the 5v4 for more time.

One thing I don’t understand is why coincidental penalties sometimes results in a 4v4 and sometimes in a 5v5.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 06:09 PM   #343
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Entertaining series so far.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:19 PM   #344
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Haven’t looked up stats but I recall hearing probability of scoring 5 on 3 is about 30 pct vs ~20 5 on 4

So if that’s in line with reality then 2 x 5 on 4 is higher probability than 1 x 5 on 3
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:08 PM   #345
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The opposition should get to choose if they want 4:00 or 5-on-3.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:12 PM   #346
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Entertaining game. Panthers deserved a better fate, but that’s how she goes. Trouba better get a f’ing suspension. Dirtiest player in the NHL. Can’t say I’ve watched many rangers games, but based on the interview Zibanejad seems like a likable dude.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:24 PM   #347
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I detested Bieksa as a Duck and Canuck, but I've generally loved him on the panel based on his hockey knowledge and sarcastic personality. Is he being payed to be be the heel on the panel? Or is it just his d*ckhead personality?
After the Trouba elbow Hrudey, Maclean and Botterill all agreed it was an elbow- once all angles are seen. Bieksa initially said it was shoulder then head, sees the clear highlight contradicting that, then doubles down and says it caught 'a bit' of shoulder then head. It was 95% head, grazed the shoulder. Any other panel member would say, 'ok, I'm wrong', but not caveman. He doubles down.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 11:54 PM   #348
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That would be the correct way to call it . It should have been 5 vs 3 not a double minor. The penalties should have been served congruantly. It would still be served as like a double minor where if the team scores that would negate only 1 penalty. They were 2 different types of penalties not ones that were the same and could be assessed as a double minor.even if they were the same like roughing they can not be called a double minor as they were seperate incidents.

The nhl had a rule book they just don't call it to a t.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 05-26-2024 at 11:57 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 12:51 AM   #349
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
I detested Bieksa as a Duck and Canuck, but I've generally loved him on the panel based on his hockey knowledge and sarcastic personality. Is he being payed to be be the heel on the panel? Or is it just his d*ckhead personality?
My favourite thing about Bieksa is if a panel member says some bs he is the only guy that is willing to call it out.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 01:37 AM   #350
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
After the Trouba elbow Hrudey, Maclean and Botterill all agreed it was an elbow- once all angles are seen. Bieksa initially said it was shoulder then head, sees the clear highlight contradicting that, then doubles down and says it caught 'a bit' of shoulder then head. It was 95% head, grazed the shoulder. Any other panel member would say, 'ok, I'm wrong', but not caveman. He doubles down.

If you watch the replay, you see the shoulder pad move. I don’t think he caught any of the actual shoulder, which is beneath the pad, but the pad did move

So I see why he may say that.

Do I agree though? No

My view is that the forearm / elbow was clearly extended. This wasn’t like a Iggy hit where you make contact and send the guy flying by driving your forearm
through the chest as a follow through and send him flying

Should be a suspension for sure
Old 05-27-2024, 01:38 AM   #351
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
My favourite thing about Bieksa is if a panel member says some bs he is the only guy that is willing to call it out.
Also he doesn’t go out of his way to favour the grease
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:42 AM   #352
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
That would be the correct way to call it . It should have been 5 vs 3 not a double minor. The penalties should have been served congruantly. It would still be served as like a double minor where if the team scores that would negate only 1 penalty. They were 2 different types of penalties not ones that were the same and could be assessed as a double minor.even if they were the same like roughing they can not be called a double minor as they were seperate incidents.

The nhl had a rule book they just don't call it to a t.
I'll add I thought it should have been at Least a 2 min slash and a double minor for elbowing at live speed. Upon review it should have been a 2 min 5v3 and 5 min majour resulting in 3 mins of 4v5 but If I reffed I'd call it by the books but the nhl and betting sites haven't paid me off yet.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:57 AM   #353
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

According to TSN, Florida had 24 attempts from the slot in the 3rd, to NY's 4. Also in the 3rd, high-dangers favoured Florida 8-1. Total shot attempts were 104-46 for Florida.

Paraphrasing, "It seems weird to say when the goalie gives up 4, but Florida got Shesterkined in this one."
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:00 AM   #354
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
According to TSN, Florida had 24 attempts from the slot in the 3rd, to NY's 4. Also in the 3rd, high-dangers favoured Florida 8-1. Total shot attempts were 104-46 for Florida.

Paraphrasing, "It seems weird to say when the goalie gives up 4, but Florida got Shesterkined in this one."
New York was -1 goal difference 5 on 5. They seem to rely on the pp and fewer shots.

We really need the Panthers to break through here incase the unthinkable happens in the WCF.

Skinner is not stopping those shots.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:16 AM   #355
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either team will make mincemeat of the Oilers.

* please sweet jebus *
Old 05-27-2024, 10:24 AM   #356
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

* please sweet jebus *
Neither team will get the chance.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:30 AM   #357
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Ok, I am not one to #### on Sportsnet and I typically don't pay attention to anything they are saying, nor do I think they are Oilers fanboys....
yet....

On the broadcast for this game leading into the game, they did a degrees of separation for players from McDavid for both teams. Like....wtf....

Then said some move Bennett did at the blue line was a McDavid and that McDavid would be doing his own moves next game.

it. was. baffling.

I actually wanted to slap whoever was talking, no clue who it was though.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:41 AM   #358
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

* please sweet jebus *
I actually don't think Florida is a good match for Edmonton. They take a lot of penalties and we know that's the recipe for Oiler success.

I don't think it'll come to it, but NYR would be a better opponent vs Edmonton IMO.
Dallas being the incredibly disciplined team they are and have been all season is our best hope.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:57 AM   #359
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

5k fine for Trouba’s elbow.

I think he’s finally learned his lesson and will never cross the line again. Well done on the stiff punishment, NHL.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:01 AM   #360
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trouba and Fox are the worst.

Come on Panthers.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote