Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 10:21 PM   #4181
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
But if you had to drive in the country, you wouldn’t enjoy it?

Listening to some music, not in a rush, taking in the scenery…. Can be very relaxing. I love it.

So you’re the one doing 80km/hr on hwy 22! GTF outta the way!!!
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 12:23 AM   #4182
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else just have random slang that for no reason, just really bugs them? I don't even mean newer really obvious/stupid ones, even just more normal ones.

Like for example, when something new is released, people will say it 'dropped.'
I know what it means, it's been a thing for like 30 years, for whatever dumb reason it bugs me. Also my smartass can't help but always reply with "Wow, sucks that they dropped it, hope it didn't break" (Crappy joke, I know)
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 12:55 AM   #4183
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Does anyone else just have random slang that for no reason, just really bugs them? I don't even mean newer really obvious/stupid ones, even just more normal ones.

I know what it means, it's been a thing for like 30 years, for whatever dumb reason it bugs me. Also my smartass can't help but always reply with "Wow, sucks that they dropped it, hope it didn't break" (Crappy joke, I know)
“LFG!!!!”

Go where?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 04:40 AM   #4184
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What's the best teeth whitening product? There's so many now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:46 AM   #4185
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Uhh... How is someone supposed to feel about receiving a backhanded and racist complement?
Should probably feel offended and then punch them in the face! Out of curiosity, what was said? I recall you're Asian, potentially Chinese, like me...

- "Wow, thanks for dinner tonight, it was amazing! I was worried you'd serve us dog!!"

- "Let's have DoubleF do the bill splitting for us, he probably aced math!"

- "Having only spoken to you on the phone before, I had no idea you're Asian, you speak English without any accent at all!!"
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 09:04 AM   #4186
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What's the best teeth whitening product? There's so many now.

I doubt there is anything as effective as a short stint at a dentist’s office doing Zoom or whatever. Would probably save you money over the long run trying to chase the same result.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:35 AM   #4187
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
So you’re the one doing 80km/hr on hwy 22! GTF outta the way!!!
That’s not the in the country. lol
Old 05-26-2024, 12:15 PM   #4188
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A Lamborghini is parked in front of the house. Flesh coloured, so very lame for a Lamborghini. I talk to the guy across the street. This your Lamborghini? These kids going door to door with the window washing pamphlets get in it. We ask hi
Wtf? I know, it’s ridiculous, I have a Lamborghini.

Sorry son, you aren’t getting a Toyota Corolla, you gotta drive the Lamborghini. The world is fataed and I love it.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:39 PM   #4189
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
A Lamborghini is parked in front of the house. Flesh coloured, so very lame for a Lamborghini. I talk to the guy across the street. This your Lamborghini? These kids going door to door with the window washing pamphlets get in it. We ask hi
Wtf? I know, it’s ridiculous, I have a Lamborghini.

Sorry son, you aren’t getting a Toyota Corolla, you gotta drive the Lamborghini. The world is fataed and I love it.
More like washing money if they're driving a Lamborghini.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:03 PM   #4190
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Well...its possible. But I remember a kid getting an expensive car for his High School Grad present and it was just because he got his dad's old car.

You know what is cheaper than a brand new Toyota Corolla? A Ferrari you've already paid for and your business is buying you a new Ferrari.

Granted...sometimes I wonder if people understand how wildly impractical Ferraris are on a day-to-day basis.

Carrying school-work, friends, parking (depending on model some of them are low and wide) fuel economy, insurance and hell...driving in Canada in general...rain, sleet, snow...

"Sorry Professor, I couldnt make it to the exam today because it snowed like a bitch and my Ferrari only has like 2.5" of ground-clearance!"

Yeah. Not sure that one is gonna fly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #4191
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Not a bad little scam. Print up some pamplets claim you cleaned 100, 000 houses at $9,999 per house? Flawless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 08:23 PM   #4192
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah. I had a few friends in high school who got really nice cars from their parents. And it was fun watching them treat them the same way I treated my Chevy Cavalier
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:38 PM   #4193
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hah. I had a few friends in high school who got really nice cars from their parents. And it was fun watching them treat them the same way I treated my Chevy Cavalier
Cool Story Bro!

I was parking at the lot closest to the U of C business school and I was in a hurry and this girl in a brand new Porsche gets right next to me.

Now, I was in a hurry because I was damned near going to be late, and this girl parks her brand new Porsche next to my 1978 F-150.

She swings her door open (because I think she was also late) and smokes my passenger door.

It took a little dirt off my passenger door.

Her door? Completely mangled. It woudnt even close.

"Should we exchange information??"

Me: I don't know what to tell you. No? It was your fault and this truck is effectively worthless. I'm not going to even pretend to try and get this repaired and I'm not going to try and take you for a few bucks.

Thats not how I roll.

So...really? I DGAF about the dent on my door all you did was re-arrange the dirt on my door. I don't care. At all. Your damage? Thats up to you.

The Sum-Total value of my entire truck is probably less than the damage to your door. This sounds a whole lot like a 'You Problem' and I am late and I've gotta go.

"You can't leave me here! My door won't close!!"

Sorry my dear. But I don't give a damn and yes I can. Call your Dad.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 08:59 AM   #4194
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
“LFG!!!!”

Go where?
"bet"

"I'm here for that"

I think most of my complaints are old man ones.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:43 AM   #4195
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...its possible. But I remember a kid getting an expensive car for his High School Grad present and it was just because he got his dad's old car.

You know what is cheaper than a brand new Toyota Corolla? A Ferrari you've already paid for and your business is buying you a new Ferrari.

Granted...sometimes I wonder if people understand how wildly impractical Ferraris are on a day-to-day basis.

Carrying school-work, friends, parking (depending on model some of them are low and wide) fuel economy, insurance and hell...driving in Canada in general...rain, sleet, snow...

"Sorry Professor, I couldnt make it to the exam today because it snowed like a bitch and my Ferrari only has like 2.5" of ground-clearance!"

Yeah. Not sure that one is gonna fly.
Omg my accountant pushes back so hard on me for wanting to get a new f150 that isn't basically a base model. And I literally need a truck for work. You're saying you could work things so I could buy sick cars through the business?!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:52 AM   #4196
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Should probably feel offended and then punch them in the face! Out of curiosity, what was said? I recall you're Asian, potentially Chinese, like me...

- "Wow, thanks for dinner tonight, it was amazing! I was worried you'd serve us dog!!"

- "Let's have DoubleF do the bill splitting for us, he probably aced math!"

- "Having only spoken to you on the phone before, I had no idea you're Asian, you speak English without any accent at all!!"
Yep. I'm Chinese an born in Canada. But no, none of that basic stuff in this case.

This was more like (paraphrased):

"You're a good one DoubleF. We like you. Not like those other immigrants who come here, can't speak English and buy up all our houses with illegal funds and leave them empty to screw us over."

Bits and pieces of this was mentioned nearly half a dozen times over several meetings in the last few years. I stopped bothering to mention that the wording was kinda inappropriate by the second or third mention because their retort was basically, "But you can't disprove what I am saying is wrong and I'm not saying you're one of them.".

Somehow, this person really dislikes immigrants and kept on repeating it like people needed to be aware or they'd forget this "injustice" or something. It perhaps bugs me more because this person is well educated and over the years has honestly decent. These racist comments really didn't start popping up until the last few years, but she was always careful to differentiate me and my family from "the other immigrants". Occasionally my colleagues will also be mentioned as "good ones" when she interacts with them.

I grew up around farms and those comments were common, but in a more pre-internet surprise and excitement to see someone that looked different than the Mennonite community type of thing. I honesty brushed off those types of comments growing up if the intent was not supposed to be rude, but this person's comments has started to make me feel really weird lately.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:09 AM   #4197
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yep. I'm Chinese an born in Canada. But no, none of that basic stuff in this case.

This was more like (paraphrased):

"You're a good one DoubleF. We like you. Not like those other immigrants who come here, can't speak English and buy up all our houses with illegal funds and leave them empty to screw us over."

Bits and pieces of this was mentioned nearly half a dozen times over several meetings in the last few years. I stopped bothering to mention that the wording was kinda inappropriate by the second or third mention because their retort was basically, "But you can't disprove what I am saying is wrong and I'm not saying you're one of them.".

Somehow, this person really dislikes immigrants and kept on repeating it like people needed to be aware or they'd forget this "injustice" or something. It perhaps bugs me more because this person is well educated and over the years has honestly decent. These racist comments really didn't start popping up until the last few years, but she was always careful to differentiate me and my family from "the other immigrants". Occasionally my colleagues will also be mentioned as "good ones" when she interacts with them.

I grew up around farms and those comments were common, but in a more pre-internet surprise and excitement to see someone that looked different than the Mennonite community type of thing. I honesty brushed off those types of comments growing up if the intent was not supposed to be rude, but this person's comments has started to make me feel really weird lately.
Yup, makes me feel weird too when I experience it. Education has zero impact on someone being racist. Had a very obviously well-educated C-suite client that I'm very close with "jokingly" talk about pangolins/cats/dogs at Chinese restaurants a few months after covid ended. It's not funny or cool even (especially?) if we're friends. Just shows that one can do many things right in life, but still just be an ignorant racist.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:21 AM   #4198
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
"That's fair" and "I mean, you're not wrong" are like this for me. I don't even have a good reason why they annoy me. There's nothing specific about the phrases themselves that bugs me, maybe just how ubiquitous they seem to be.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:23 AM   #4199
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
"That's fair" and "I mean, you're not wrong" are like this for me. I don't even have a good reason why they annoy me. There's nothing specific about the phrases themselves that bugs me, maybe just how ubiquitous they seem to be.
That's fair. I mean you're not wrong.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 12:43 PM   #4200
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if anybody else finds the APEGA disciplinary decisions entertaining, but look up the Eric Chrysanthous one. It’s chock full of intrigue and suspense.

https://www.apega.ca/enforcement/discipline-decisions
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: