Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2024, 05:06 PM   #19561
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't the rally yesterday? I'd expect today's camera would reflect the regular cannibals and strewn body parts.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:46 PM   #19562
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The 'leader' of the ditch dwelling freedumbers has claimed that Busboobs has agreed to meet with him.
What do yall think? Yes or no?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 05:54 PM   #19563
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
The 'leader' of the ditch dwelling freedumbers has claimed that Busboobs has agreed to meet with him.
Are you asking if we believe she would agree to meet with them? I think she probably would.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:05 PM   #19564
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make out sesh.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:53 PM   #19565
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove by them again today. What a bunch of dumbasses.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:22 PM   #19566
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Why though? Like I’ve driven by a few times and it’s utterly meaningless. Their big issue is Justin Trudeau, so what does a meeting with the Premier even accomplish?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 09:02 AM   #19567
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Why though? Like I’ve driven by a few times and it’s utterly meaningless. Their big issue is Justin Trudeau, so what does a meeting with the Premier even accomplish?
Danielle Smith Stands up to Ottawa!

She has Turdeau running scared!

If Sock Boy find out Danielle Smith is involved he will think again!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:00 AM   #19568
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

'It’s depressing being a 40-year-old stuck at home': Why the dream of homeownership is fading for many Calgarians

https://calgaryherald.com/business/d...alberta-fading

Quote:
Jamil Thobani, a realtor in Calgary, said almost all properties he has sold were bought above their listing price, and nearly half of his clients are from outside the province.

“I’m telling you, there is a sense of frustration,” Thobani said. “It’s like, ‘Ah, we lost that one or we lost another one, we’re not going to find another place. Okay, my lease is coming up. I need to get out of this.’ Then they will maximize whatever they can and outbid the next person
Bit of a sobering, depressing read. I feel for young people looking to enter into the home ownership world in this province; it's absolutely unreachable for many, which never used to be the case prior to even five years ago. The wealthy class / rental agencies buying up all the real estate in a market of limited supply has really done damage to this demographic - amplified when people who don't even live here are buying up the property. The growing wealth gap is causing greater, and unsustainable, problems.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:30 AM   #19569
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think it’s pretty obvious, no?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 01:06 PM   #19570
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Regarding home ownership, I know it's tough out there for millenials and gen z'ers but until they start moving to places like Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina, or Edmonton, then I think part of it is city preference. Heck, cheap homes can still be had in red deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.

Calgary is a highly desirable city but home and lease costs are rapidly inflating and show no signs of abatement. It would seem to me that is some out of province folks are really moving for home prices they might need to prioritize what's important. Personally being 'an hour from the mountains' might need to take a back seat so you can have a roof over your head.

Guts me that born-and-raised Calgarians who want to stay are being priced out of their own city.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 02:54 PM   #19571
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rown-1.7213411

Further erosion to my faith in Alberta's justice system (and democracy in general). Which is perhaps a pretty big leap by me, but the perception is the bigger issue here.

Considering the police of all people determined internally that these cops broke the rules, then it's absolutely in the public interest to see this through.

Will be interesting to see how the civil action plays out.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:08 PM   #19572
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Ron and Amanda can't understand why people keep giving them the finger....

https://www.threads.net/@cmcalgary/post/C7e5cGAJJPS
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 04:03 PM   #19573
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rown-1.7213411

Further erosion to my faith in Alberta's justice system (and democracy in general). Which is perhaps a pretty big leap by me, but the perception is the bigger issue here.

Considering the police of all people determined internally that these cops broke the rules, then it's absolutely in the public interest to see this through.

Will be interesting to see how the civil action plays out.
IANAL but I believe there can be quite a large gap between the investigation returning a "reasonable grounds to believe the officer committed a criminal offense" and having the actual evidence required to reasonably obtain a criminal conviction.

From what we can see, this seems pretty egregious, but if the hard evidence isn't there to win the case then it would just be wasted resources in an already overwhelmed legal system.

But even though a criminal conviction may not be possible, it seems like this was a serious offense and should have warranted more than a temporary demotion under the Police Act. I want the people hired to uphold the laws to be held to a much higher standard under their own act without it requiring to be "criminal".
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:36 PM   #19574
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Ron and Amanda can't understand why people keep giving them the finger....

https://www.threads.net/@cmcalgary/post/C7e5cGAJJPS
Lol, these people are such pathetic losers.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:49 PM   #19575
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Regarding home ownership, I know it's tough out there for millenials and gen z'ers but until they start moving to places like Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina, or Edmonton, then I think part of it is city preference. Heck, cheap homes can still be had in red deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.

Calgary is a highly desirable city but home and lease costs are rapidly inflating and show no signs of abatement. It would seem to me that is some out of province folks are really moving for home prices they might need to prioritize what's important. Personally being 'an hour from the mountains' might need to take a back seat so you can have a roof over your head.

Guts me that born-and-raised Calgarians who want to stay are being priced out of their own city.

Housing inflation is a wealth transfer from young to old. This is a national (international) disaster and the only fix is to tax housing gains until they are not a suitable investment. Of course, neither the government nor majority of home owners have the appetite to do that because GDP is built on housing wealth. As a millennial who owns a single-detached house in Calgary, I would be happy to see house prices crash tomorrow.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 05:03 PM   #19576
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

It's going to become a pretty big issue as people move to the smaller centers, or less desirable geography. Decades of time and billions of dollars in infrastructure exist in Calgary and Edmonton, and having to abandon that (even as the cities grow) is going to engender a lot of bitterness.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:04 PM   #19577
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
As a millennial who owns a single-detached house in Calgary, I would be happy to see house prices crash tomorrow.
Man I hope so too, I'd actually have a realistic chance to buy a house then. Rich people and corporations can then #### off with their property hoarding.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 05:27 PM   #19578
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
IANAL but I believe there can be quite a large gap between the investigation returning a "reasonable grounds to believe the officer committed a criminal offense" and having the actual evidence required to reasonably obtain a criminal conviction.

From what we can see, this seems pretty egregious, but if the hard evidence isn't there to win the case then it would just be wasted resources in an already overwhelmed legal system.

But even though a criminal conviction may not be possible, it seems like this was a serious offense and should have warranted more than a temporary demotion under the Police Act. I want the people hired to uphold the laws to be held to a much higher standard under their own act without it requiring to be "criminal".
I cant find it at the moment but there was a thread on twitter highlighting at least 6 instances of ASIRT finding fault with police actions and the Crown choosing not to prosecute. And of the former head of ASIRT resigning and why.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:05 PM   #19579
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post

I think this is likely the case, but they also [are supposed to] weigh the public interest.

Link is a pdf: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._PokSVNOiSWuR7

Quote:
While it is not possible to prepare a precise list of situations in which consultation is required or even preferred, the following principles are applicable. Prosecutors are strongly encouraged to consult with supervisors and experienced colleagues in regard to the decision to prosecute significant or unusual cases. The determination of whether a case is significant requires judgment by the prosecutor involved. The following are examples of cases that would, in the norm, be regarded as significant:

1. A case involving a death;
2. Charges against public figures or persons involved in the administration of justice;
3. Criminal conduct involving gang or group activity;
4. Prosecutions which require an expanded or novel interpretation of the governing
legislation or which engage significant Charter issues; or
5. Cases which have attracted or will attract significant media attention, or which will likely
be of public interest when presented in court.

For personal and political reasons, LEO's targeted a legislator from the party that is historically (and presumptively into the future) sitting in opposition. It is a big step - but not actually a giant leap - to something like Putin's goons murdering Navalny. I'd rather not take even a baby step in that direction.

The court system being so horrifically underfunded that it couldn't possibly deal with this kind of case also does not fill me with warm and fuzzies. Even if a conviction is unlikely, a fulsome and transparent airing of the facts is definitely in the public interest.

Our premier has attempted (successfully?) to improperly influence the justice system. The previous two justice Ministers have both gone beyond the pale. It's just gross.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 06:19 PM   #19580
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol, these people are such pathetic losers.
How to say that you failed Social Studies 10 without saying you failed Social Studies 10.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote