Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2024, 11:00 AM   #3501
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Sounds like there will be a bit of a bidding war for Necas. Dhaliwal out in Vancouver saying that the Canucks are heavy after Necas as well. I've been seeing Mikhayev going back the other way in a potential trade as the Canucks aren't happy with his play since they signed him to that big deal.
Mikhayev is pay a 1st to dump or buyout category. If that’s all it took then send Markstrom and flip Necas in a bit lol
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:05 AM   #3502
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Necas for Hronek seems like a decent trade for both teams
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:12 AM   #3503
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Honest question, how so?

He was already offered up as a piece in the Tkachuk deal. Had a breakout season and the Canes are, apparently, still looking to move him. This from one of the more analytically based organizations.

Also, I still think the Canes bringing in Kuznetzov is an indicator as to how they felt about Necas being able to do the job at C. Evidently, not much.
The idea that Carolina has formed some beyond reproach culture is overplayed at this point. They've done some absolute boneheaded things over the past couple years.

-continue to employ the "any goaltender will do" strategy
-continue to sign and re-sign debags such as DeAngelo
-kotkaniemi was truly one of the most embarrassing and damaging moves any NHL team has made in the last decade
-Hamilton for nothing was stupid... They get praised for that kind of move for some reason, but we know all too well how stupid it is

I like a lot of what they do, but them souring on Necas isn't a harbinger to me, it's an opportunity.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 11:23 AM   #3504
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Necas is a stud. Would be all over him if I was the Flames management.
He would compliment Huberdeau well. Huberdeau got 52 points this year and Necas got 53 points this year. Can probably sign Necas longterm for like 8 million bucks too.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:37 AM   #3505
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Honest question, how so?

He was already offered up as a piece in the Tkachuk deal. Had a breakout season and the Canes are, apparently, still looking to move him. This from one of the more analytically based organizations.

Also, I still think the Canes bringing in Kuznetzov is an indicator as to how they felt about Necas being able to do the job at C. Evidently, not much.
The Canes have made some pretty dumb moves in the last decade and some very smart moves.

A lot to do with money and not wanting to pay their players even fair market value. They did trade Hanifin and Lindholm for what amounted to be a bag of pucks in the end.

Kotkaniemi was one of the worst offer sheet signings ever. They gave up a 1st and a 3rd plus a 8 year contract to basically a 4th liner.

Necas is really good. And only 25. These are the swings you need to make as a organization.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:38 AM   #3506
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
He would compliment Huberdeau well. Huberdeau got 52 points this year and Necas got 53 points this year. Can probably sign Necas longterm for like 8 million bucks too.
One is 25 and hitting his prime while the other is in the back 9 of his career.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #3507
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just dont see the need for a necas at this point. Much rather go after mercer if were going to spend assets on a center. Timeline fits better. Acquisition cost would probably be better. Overall cap structure would be better. Not to mention to move the needle to get necas means probably not getting a first for thele asset being moved.

Just dont see it, nevermind necas seems like a bit of a prima donna? Not something i want around our youth. Not interested whatsoever.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:46 AM   #3508
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Lots of red flags with Necas it seems

That's a pretty solid org that apparently wants to cut him loose. Him being a -9 on a team loaded with double digit positive players, especially when he starts out in the O zone 66% of the time. Concerning, especially when you have to give up assets to get him and then pay him a boatload of money to keep him.
They don't want to cut him loose, he has not been happy there for a few years and wants to move on. He wants a larger role and from what I heard he doesn't get along with the coach. He is also due a raise, if you are Carolina why would you pay a guy significantly more money if he doesn't want to be there? If you can move the Canucks 1st and a 2nd for him that's a no brainer move because statistically the chances of a player you draft with either of those two picks having the talent of Necas is very very remote.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 11:48 AM   #3509
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
He isn't a center and apparently has his mind set on being one, even though he can't win a face-off to save his life.

I would be very skeptical about going after him, especially paying a big price.
He absolutely is a centre, he played centre almost his entire career. Face offs can be worked on. You know who else sucks at face offs? Connor McDavid. Are you saying he isn't a centre either?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:57 AM   #3510
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Necas and Kotkaniemi acquisition would add skill to the Flames FW group.

Ppl were short sighted on Kuzmenko and Sharangovich acquisitions also. Turned out pretty okay.

If that's where the Flames go, I'm not going to be upset about it. They're the misfit toys Conroy seems to covet.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:03 PM   #3511
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
The idea that Carolina has formed some beyond reproach culture is overplayed at this point. They've done some absolute boneheaded things over the past couple years.

-continue to employ the "any goaltender will do" strategy
-continue to sign and re-sign debags such as DeAngelo
-kotkaniemi was truly one of the most embarrassing and damaging moves any NHL team has made in the last decade
-Hamilton for nothing was stupid... They get praised for that kind of move for some reason, but we know all too well how stupid it is

I like a lot of what they do, but them souring on Necas isn't a harbinger to me, it's an opportunity.
Hurricanes point percentages the last 6 years:

They've also won 7 playoff rounds including two trips to the conference finals. Most teams can only dream of that kind of sustained success, Flames included.

They've also drafted 56 players in those 6 years, which is 14 more than their allotted 42. Imagine that? Sustained success, perennial contender and still accumulating draft picks to keep the prospect pool overflowing.

Hmmm, they might be on to something here.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #3512
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:
icon53

Re: Hronek for Necas
Hronek is an RFA wanting to get paid is he not? Carolina isn't the spot for that.

Markstrom may be the wild card in this. Just how happy was Carolina with their goaltending? Markstrom with retention could sway any potential bidding war in the Flames favor.

Also find the comments about Carolina not trusting Necas interesting. Reminds me a lot of comments about Sharangovich after the Flames acquired him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 12:36 PM   #3513
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

They've also won 7 playoff rounds including two trips to the conference finals. Most teams can only dream of that kind of sustained success, Flames included.

They've also drafted 56 players in those 6 years, which is 14 more than their allotted 42. Imagine that? Sustained success, perennial contender and still accumulating draft picks to keep the prospect pool overflowing.

So you're saying this record of near success should serve as a message to the league that their player evaluation is the gold standard. Don't bother with Trochek or Hamilton. Carolina didn't want them so they're trash. Better sign your kotkaniemis before they do.

I get it, they're a good team. A good team that has done some odd things including letting good players walk who went on to have success on their new teams. Doesn't scare me off Necas in the slightest.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:38 PM   #3514
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're saying this record of near success should serve as a message to the league that their player evaluation is the gold standard. Don't bother with Trochek or Hamilton. Carolina didn't want them so they're trash. Better sign your kotkaniemis before they do.

I get it, they're a good team. A good team that has done some odd things including letting good players walk who went on to have success on their new teams. Doesn't scare me off Necas in the slightest.
That's fine but don't act like they are some sort of disaster with your hyperbole.

They do a hell of a lot more right than they do wrong that's clear.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:49 PM   #3515
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine but don't act like they are some sort of disaster with your hyperbole.

They do a hell of a lot more right than they do wrong that's clear.
Ok, I will be sure to continue not doing that.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:01 PM   #3516
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I will be sure to continue not doing that.
lol, you're doing everything you can in your posts with your tone and your wording to discredit the clear success they've been having for years now.

They are an extremely successful organization right now.

I'm not sure what's going on with Necas, or why they want to part ways, but if it's because the Canes think he's not good enough for the contract he's about to receive, I would take notice. Yes, they could be wrong, because they aren't perfect, but it's certainly something you need to consider before trying to acquire him.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:18 PM   #3517
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I look at the Hurricanes as a good example of what I hope the Flames do not do.

They're a very well managed team, but they can't get over the hump because they don't have those foundational homegrown elite pieces. They've been great at pulling guys throughout the draft but don't have their #1 centre/#1 defenceman of the quality needed to turn a really good team into a Championship quality team.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:25 PM   #3518
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I look at the Hurricanes as a good example of what I hope the Flames do not do.

They're a very well managed team, but they can't get over the hump because they don't have those foundational homegrown elite pieces. They've been great at pulling guys throughout the draft but don't have their #1 centre/#1 defenceman of the quality needed to turn a really good team into a Championship quality team.
They can't get over the hump (yet) because sometimes that's just the way it goes. They have everything you "need" to win it all, but that doesn't always mean you're going to do it, and there doesn't always have to be a reason.

That's their 4th straight season of 110+ points (pro rated), they are for real. Not every elite team can win a cup. There is luck involved too.

The Sharks are an example of this. They were an elite team for nearly two decades, just couldn't get over the finish line. Still very successful.

We'd be lucky as hell to have the Flames run that well and put up seasons like that consistently.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:28 PM   #3519
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They can't get over the hump (yet) because sometimes that's just the way it goes. They have everything you "need" to win it all, but that doesn't always mean you're going to do it, and there doesn't always have to be a reason.

That's their 4th straight season of 110+ points (pro rated), they are for real. Not every elite team can win a cup. There is luck involved too.

The Sharks are an example of this. They were an elite team for nearly two decades, just couldn't get over the finish line. Still very successful.

We'd be lucky as hell to have the Flames run that well and put up seasons like that consistently.
Sharks and the Hurricanes are good comparisons.

Neither team has/had the homegrown foundational elite players (centres/defence), but are/were very good teams.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:45 PM   #3520
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't even argue this smh

These teams (Canes now and Sharks then) are/were loaded with "foundational elite players". That's why they are/were very good teams for so long.

Not every team with elite foundational pieces is necessarily going to win a cup.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good