Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2024, 10:20 PM   #961
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
His crime was falsifying log books and driving more hours than allowed.

He was an impaired driver who blew a stop sign.
He was never charged with impaired driving so you're wrong here.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:04 AM   #962
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Complete tragedy all around. Does deportation help anything? No, but even if you didn't have malicious intent, actions have consequences. I'm sure he would still rather be deported than have been on the bus he hit.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:30 AM   #963
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Way to destroy one more Canadian kid's life needlessly.

Bravo.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:48 AM   #964
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Complete tragedy all around. Does deportation help anything? No, but even if you didn't have malicious intent, actions have consequences. I'm sure he would still rather be deported than have been on the bus he hit.
Yeah...i heard a brief interview with his attorney before the hearing and he was pretty clear that there was no alternative but to grant the deportation order if the court followed the law. It was as black and white as it gets.

He will be able to appeal though if I understood correctly, so his journey is not necessarily over at this point. I think the decision had to be made in order for the appeals etc to be able to be made. Its only now that his counsel really starts to do their work.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:19 AM   #965
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah...i heard a brief interview with his attorney before the hearing and he was pretty clear that there was no alternative but to grant the deportation order if the court followed the law. It was as black and white as it gets.

He will be able to appeal though if I understood correctly, so his journey is not necessarily over at this point. I think the decision had to be made in order for the appeals etc to be able to be made. Its only now that his counsel really starts to do their work.
Thanks for sharing this. With the optics of it I figured it was some sort of automatic lawful procedure to get to the next step(s).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:50 AM   #966
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
One father was interviewed on the radio and said it would give his family a little more closure.
So what would give the family more closure if the driver was a Canadian citizen?

It accomplishes nothing but the law is written inherently biased toward non-Canadians in a situation like this. I suspect this individual has taken more responsibility for what happened than a lot of Canadians would. He has shown nothing but remorse for the tragedy.

Not sure if this is the same father I heard on the radio, but he still sounded angry and bitter, which while I would likely be in the same headspace as him if it was me, is also not a reason to deport someone.

The driver was not properly trained. Why is the owner of the company not facing the consequences of that? Our justice system is flawed at best.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 09:51 AM   #967
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Yes, and he has already served several years in prison for what happened. Why is our law written such that a non-Canadian has to have more consequences than a Canadian?

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:57 AM   #968
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
Yes, and he has already served several years in prison for what happened. Why is our law written such that a non-Canadian has to have more consequences than a Canadian?
Those of the rights of Canadians (and of any state). Like why does a Canadian get a passport and a non-Canadian doesn't?

Why do we even belong to states and political boundaries is a separate question.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:04 AM   #969
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am against the deportation.

I'm not sure what is solves.

I just adds another name to the list of those lives damaged/wrecked by this event.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 09:38 AM   #970
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am against the deportation.

I'm not sure what is solves.

I just adds another name to the list of those lives damaged/wrecked by this event.
It solves nothing and only serves to feed & satisfy emotionally potent oversimplification for people who can’t contemplate that incarceration is primarily for public protection and rehabilitation rather that just punishment.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 09:59 AM   #971
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd rather deport those 2 groups of Eritreans who were attacking eachother in the NE with baseball bats and throwing rocks, endangering the public. Anything to do with deliberate violence or weapons, get them out of here.

I can't get too angry with this guy, it's extremely unfortunate and tragic but for this type of crime I don't feel compelled to scream for deportation.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:22 AM   #972
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Many or any on record wishing for that?
Chris Joseph and his wife want him gone.
CedarMeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:27 AM   #973
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
It solves nothing and only serves to feed & satisfy emotionally potent oversimplification for people who can’t contemplate that incarceration is primarily for public protection and rehabilitation rather that just punishment.
I think it needs to be clarified that this review and decision was made by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), which is a branch of the general oversight of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This deportation ruling has nothing to do with his already concluded criminal trial, whether he is remorseful or not. It has everything to do with the terms and conditions of his PR status being maintained. As mentioned in the article:

Quote:
An Immigration and Refugee Board hearing for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu announced its decision in a 15-minute virtual hearing.

"I can't consider humanitarian and compassionate factors," Trent Cook from the immigration division of the board, who oversaw the hearing, told Sidhu.

"My sole role today is to make a finding on whether the minister has established the facts that support their allegation that you're inadmissible for serious criminality.

"I am satisfied that the minister's report is well founded.

"I am required by law to issue you with a deportation order."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ring-1.7213657

So this isn't a case of a judge not showing compassion, or a ruling not taking into account his rehabilitation or remorse. That was already covered in the criminal trial. Whatever remorse he showed has nothing to do with how the immigration board makes their decisions. I have learned this the hard way over the years with some of my family overseas trying to immigrate here and my wife's first application. IRCC sees pretty much all cases in black and white; you are either admissible to arrive/stay in Canada, or you have something on your application or current status that makes you inadmissible.

Sidhu's criminal record now makes him inadmissible. As much as I don't support deporting him, it is a pretty easy decision for the IRCC to make based on their policies. Yes, they are often cruel in their rulings. I know of a few families who have been seperated and a single family member sent packing for much less. Honestly I would have been much more surprised if they ruled that he could stay.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:30 AM   #974
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, he can rehabilitate in his home country.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:59 PM   #975
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Nah, he can rehabilitate in his home country.
He doesn't need to rehabilitate, he's not a violent offender.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:04 PM   #976
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole thing is tragic.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 01:46 PM   #977
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
He doesn't need to rehabilitate, he's not a violent offender.
Ok then, he can learn how to drive in his home country.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:51 PM   #978
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I think it needs to be clarified that this review and decision was made by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), which is a branch of the general oversight of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This deportation ruling has nothing to do with his already concluded criminal trial, whether he is remorseful or not. It has everything to do with the terms and conditions of his PR status being maintained. As mentioned in the article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ring-1.7213657

So this isn't a case of a judge not showing compassion, or a ruling not taking into account his rehabilitation or remorse. That was already covered in the criminal trial. Whatever remorse he showed has nothing to do with how the immigration board makes their decisions. I have learned this the hard way over the years with some of my family overseas trying to immigrate here and my wife's first application. IRCC sees pretty much all cases in black and white; you are either admissible to arrive/stay in Canada, or you have something on your application or current status that makes you inadmissible.

Sidhu's criminal record now makes him inadmissible. As much as I don't support deporting him, it is a pretty easy decision for the IRCC to make based on their policies. Yes, they are often cruel in their rulings. I know of a few families who have been seperated and a single family member sent packing for much less. Honestly I would have been much more surprised if they ruled that he could stay.
Yup, as soon as he entered a guilty plea this outcome became unavoidable. The law is the law.

Because he accepted responsibility and didn’t waste the courts time and resources he served a jail sentence and now he gets deported. The same outcome as had he pleaded not guilty and been convicted, though he would have had a longer jail sentence in this scenario. Yet hypothetically had he pleaded not guilty and been acquitted he would have served no jail time and been allowed to stay. Not saying deportation is right or wrong but I’m not sure how either outcome is sensible.

On top of all that very little has been done to address the fact that he shouldn’t have been operating the vehicle in the first place, so it’s likely only a matter of time before another bad accident happens. We need better regulations both federally and provincially for anyone who makes a living operating vehicles on public roadways.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:28 PM   #979
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ok then, he can learn how to drive in his home country.
Don’t make posts that make you looks like a Phallushead that lacks empathy

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:34 PM   #980
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Yup, as soon as he entered a guilty plea this outcome became unavoidable. The law is the law.

Because he accepted responsibility and didn’t waste the courts time and resources he served a jail sentence and now he gets deported. The same outcome as had he pleaded not guilty and been convicted, though he would have had a longer jail sentence in this scenario. Yet hypothetically had he pleaded not guilty and been acquitted he would have served no jail time and been allowed to stay. Not saying deportation is right or wrong but I’m not sure how either outcome is sensible.

On top of all that very little has been done to address the fact that he shouldn’t have been operating the vehicle in the first place, so it’s likely only a matter of time before another bad accident happens. We need better regulations both federally and provincially for anyone who makes a living operating vehicles on public roadways.
A lot has changed as a result of Humboldt. They increased the barrier of entry by several factors.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote