Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2024, 02:22 PM   #561
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Pork isn’t “bad stuff”

Some cuts of pork are exceptionally lean, some are not.

If concerned pick those that are lean.
Tenderloin and lean ham (ham where the surrounding fat has been removed) have about the same amount of fat as chicken breast.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 02:23 PM   #562
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I love making schnitzel sandwiches using tenderloin. Get some nice Portuguese rolls, pound out some tenderloin slices, bread and fry, top with provolone, hot sauce and some veggies and it is a quick 10 minute dinner.
Tenderloin schnitzels are fantastic, if you want to make it even healthier you can air fry them and cut out all of the frying oil and it comes out just as good.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:05 AM   #563
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Tenderloin and lean ham (ham where the surrounding fat has been removed) have about the same amount of fat as chicken breast.
Couple that with the price of pork and it is a win win!!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:02 AM   #564
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How do I baste it with bbq sauce, building up layers of thick sugary crispy goodness on the outside, if it's British boiled in a bag?

I’m with you

Pork tenderloin is a cut where for me, sous vide isn’t worth the time.

Made jerk pork tenderloin on a gas grill with some pimento wood in a smoke box. Cooked it low for a while to get the smoky goodness, then higher for the crust

Took it off at 147 (had the thin end over a lower burner towards the end)

Very easy cut to work with
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:10 AM   #565
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So anyways
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #566
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
So anyways
If you want to talk about something else why are you in the meat/ bbq thread anyway?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:46 AM   #567
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My situation recently took a turn, so I'll be monitoring this thread for any sage financial/life advice. To keep a long story short, I co-founded a company and have been working in it for the past 8+ years. I lost a power struggle with one of my co-founders and will find myself getting packaged out as soon as this week.

I had optimism that my situation would end up with some liquidity from my equity, but it's not looking promising. Instead, I'll be navigating the next 7 months while my wife is on maternity leave with our second child, thankfully with what appears to be enough severance to cover that timeframe with my salary.

With my wife headed into an executive role following her maternity (newly promoted during her time away), it's now debate time for me. Do I search for an executive role commensurate with my experience and stage in my career, or do I take somewhat of an intermission and just get a 'job' to provide more flexibility for my family, stepping up for what my wife previously had done for our family?

Our expenses can probably sustain my pulling back and waiting out some sort of liquidity, but I'm hesitant to take too long of an intermission so I don't compromise my earning potential in a pivotal time of my career.

Anyone who's had to navigate this compromise with your partner/young family, I'd love to hear your experience. My instinct is stepping back is the right thing to do, for a period, as with young kids (2x under 3) our flexibility is paramount. I have hesitancy if only because it's prime earning period of my career.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 12:08 PM   #568
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
My situation recently took a turn, so I'll be monitoring this thread for any sage financial/life advice. To keep a long story short, I co-founded a company and have been working in it for the past 8+ years. I lost a power struggle with one of my co-founders and will find myself getting packaged out as soon as this week.

I had optimism that my situation would end up with some liquidity from my equity, but it's not looking promising. Instead, I'll be navigating the next 7 months while my wife is on maternity leave with our second child, thankfully with what appears to be enough severance to cover that timeframe with my salary.

With my wife headed into an executive role following her maternity (newly promoted during her time away), it's now debate time for me. Do I search for an executive role commensurate with my experience and stage in my career, or do I take somewhat of an intermission and just get a 'job' to provide more flexibility for my family, stepping up for what my wife previously had done for our family?

Our expenses can probably sustain my pulling back and waiting out some sort of liquidity, but I'm hesitant to take too long of an intermission so I don't compromise my earning potential in a pivotal time of my career.

Anyone who's had to navigate this compromise with your partner/young family, I'd love to hear your experience. My instinct is stepping back is the right thing to do, for a period, as with young kids (2x under 3) our flexibility is paramount. I have hesitancy if only because it's prime earning period of my career.
Speaking from experience, if your wife has a stable income to support you all then take the time to spend with your children, as you will never get that opportunity again. I did that when my daughter was 2, and it was nice to have the flexibility. I worked part time at a job that paid minimally (it was during peak COVID), but I wouldn't change that decision at all. Anecdotally, I was able to get back into a high paying job in my industry even after a few years away. It really came down to keeping in touch with my network during my "off time".
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Spuds_Buckley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 12:40 PM   #569
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd also say, in my experience, the transition from 1 kid to 2 is the hardest... If you have the option (with a light at the end of the tunnel with your wife's new role), I'd take the time to support your wife and be with your family.

On top of that, I've been there; ousted as a co-founder and it is, mentally, the most difficult thing I've ever been through. The feelings of betrayal, confusion, lost optimism and shame are a wicked confluence of emotions and you should take some time to address them.

Having been in your shoes (without the safety net of a wife with a waiting executive role), I wouldn't change a thing... Take your time to clear your head and work with your wife to decide what's best for the future of you and your family... I don't want to say 'take time to plan your next entrepreneurial endeavor', but if you have that bug... "If at first you don't succeed..."

Congratulations and good luck.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 12:48 PM   #570
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

@you&me those emotions pretty much capture what I'm going through to a tee. Maybe the biggest challenge right now I'm seeing is my 'flame' is burned out. As an ambitious and career-focused person who's always striving for the next thing, right now there's a sense of indifference that I'm trying to rectify. It's been probably the worst 6 months of my life combined with some family/friend health issues on top of it.

All told, going through this is an isolating experience so it's nice to see folks like yourself coming out of it and gaining some valuable perspective under similar circumstances. Appreciate the words of encouragement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 12:49 PM   #571
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds_Buckley View Post
Speaking from experience, if your wife has a stable income to support you all then take the time to spend with your children, as you will never get that opportunity again. I did that when my daughter was 2, and it was nice to have the flexibility. I worked part time at a job that paid minimally (it was during peak COVID), but I wouldn't change that decision at all. Anecdotally, I was able to get back into a high paying job in my industry even after a few years away. It really came down to keeping in touch with my network during my "off time".
Yes, the networking piece will be pivotal. Appreciate the encouragement and sharing your experience!
Old 05-27-2024, 01:08 PM   #572
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
@you&me those emotions pretty much capture what I'm going through to a tee. Maybe the biggest challenge right now I'm seeing is my 'flame' is burned out. As an ambitious and career-focused person who's always striving for the next thing, right now there's a sense of indifference that I'm trying to rectify. It's been probably the worst 6 months of my life combined with some family/friend health issues on top of it.

All told, going through this is an isolating experience so it's nice to see folks like yourself coming out of it and gaining some valuable perspective under similar circumstances. Appreciate the words of encouragement.
Isolating is a good word for it... It's so difficult because it's generally not relatable for most people.

I've come to accept (at least, for me) that due to a number of factors, ambition ebbs and flows and I feel that acknowledging that has helped me get through the ebbs...

I know that right now, you're going to be at a low point, and honestly, it'll probably last a while... And I know that it might seem like the best thing to do is jump back into action, but rather than try and force a potentially bad decision, don't lose sight of the fact that you have a lot on your plate already...

I don't know about you, but the thing that 'lights my flame' is my wife and kids... I've been through those lows and am so fortunate to have a loving a supportive wife (the expense of kids can be a real kick in the pants too!). That's why my advice is to take some time, focus on your family and know that that ambition you feel like you're missing will return... that's when you want to be ready to dispatch it into a well thought out plan.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 01:27 PM   #573
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Time is definitely where I'm leaning. Reassuring to see that echoed here.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:39 PM   #574
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm dealing with something similar as well.
Opened my own real estate office in 2018, did a full build out from scratch, grew a big team and now it's slowly dwindled down to no team and I closed my office last year since the expense wasn't worth it (2 years of covid where no one came in sucked).

Still doing pretty well in my industry but back to being a solo operation after trying to make a big next step that I thought would be my long term game plan.
Now I'm 40 and have a 2 year old and the thought of making a bigger play again seems impossible.
The entrepreneurial spirit changed fast for me where it used to fuel my every move. Now I'm kind of just going through the motions of my job, still very fortunate to do what I do, but don't know if I can swing for the fences again.

I've realized for me a lot of my self worth and confidence has been tied into my career successes and it's hard to separate just being a happy/content person from pushing to a new endeavour or career milestone.
I'm trying to figure out how to do the former without needing the latter.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:04 PM   #575
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm trying to discern between my indifference based on my work situation vs it being life-stage circumstantial w/ young kids and the energy that this requires. Both have contributed to my situation and now the realization that the kids/family part matters most but the career part has never demanded more is the tricky part to navigate.

I think allowing myself permission for the family part to take clear priority is what I'm trying to rectify. It won't be forever this way, but at least until when both aren't so demanding. One of my wife/I will need to do this, as we aren't prepared for the home care route just yet for our kids.

Thanks for the therapy, CP. This life thing is tough.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:21 PM   #576
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Tenderloin schnitzels are fantastic, if you want to make it even healthier you can air fry them and cut out all of the frying oil and it comes out just as good.
I started just seasoning and air frying full pork tenderloins. 20-22 minutes @375 and it turns out pretty damn good. Obviously not as good as grilling or sous vide, but for the absolute minimal effort its a great weekday quick meal.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 02:32 PM   #577
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by flamesfever; 05-27-2024 at 03:17 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:26 AM   #578
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

As somebody with slightly older kids (14/12), if I could give 10-years-ago me one bit of advice, it would probably be to realize that the feeling of running on empty–while uncomfortable–is precisely what it's supposed to feel like. Little kids are very difficult. Even if you're having a great time, they demand an inordinate amount of time, attention, and energy. On top of that you have to balance a marriage that has most certainly changed because nobody has kids without changing.

I'm watching a buddy of mine now try to spin up a business and have little kids at the same time and it makes me sad. He feels like a failure on all fronts when truthfully there's almost no reality where he can be a 100% father, business owner, husband, and take care of himself all at the same time.

It all comes in waves. Maybe this is your time to make money, or maybe this is your time to be a parent, but it's probably not your time to do both. It feels like it'll last forever because that's what our brains do when things are hard.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 09:29 AM   #579
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anybody else get to their late 30's/early 40's with an idea that they were just going to keep hopping up the corporate ladder as they get older, only to realize that the demands/politics/life balance trade off just isn't worth it with small kids?

Not exactly where I would want to be financially at this point in my life, but understand I'll never get these years back with my kids.
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #580
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
As somebody with slightly older kids (14/12), if I could give 10-years-ago me one bit of advice, it would probably be to realize that the feeling of running on empty–while uncomfortable–is precisely what it's supposed to feel like. Little kids are very difficult. Even if you're having a great time, they demand an inordinate amount of time, attention, and energy. On top of that you have to balance a marriage that has most certainly changed because nobody has kids without changing.

I'm watching a buddy of mine now try to spin up a business and have little kids at the same time and it makes me sad. He feels like a failure on all fronts when truthfully there's almost no reality where he can be a 100% father, business owner, husband, and take care of himself all at the same time.

It all comes in waves. Maybe this is your time to make money, or maybe this is your time to be a parent, but it's probably not your time to do both. It feels like it'll last forever because that's what our brains do when things are hard.
Mine are 18/20

It isn't easier or better or harder or worse when they are older.

It is different.

It is still a challenge at time they are just different challenges.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote